Stroller for twins + another infant?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM
bliss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm looking for stroller suggestions. My situation is such that when twins will be born, my son will be ~1 year old, so the difference between them will be about 1 year.

Currently, this is the stroller I have:
VISTA Stroller

We purchased this for our son and loved that it came with two attachment - the seat and the bassinet. We used the bassinet for the first ~6 months, it was great when he was little and could just sleep in it during walks. Now he is too big and we switched to the seat attachment.

Now with twins on the way, I see there are mostly "sitting" type double strollers out there. What I'm worried about are 2 things: putting the twinks into a sitting stroller before they are 6 (or even 4) months is not ideal - they can't support themselves yet. Car seat attachments are an option, but again, the babies are scrunched in them too, and I'd love to have them just lie horizontally and rest/sleep during walks. Second thing: I will also have another baby 1 year older than twinks... do I need to look for a triple stroller then? Or will he "grow out" of a stroller by certain age (2? 3?) I don't want to invest in a triple stroller if we'll only use it for a year, KWIM? Plus it's way too bulky and heavy... Or maybe I need two separate strollers - a double and a simple umbrella stroller for my son? But this will always require 2 adults...

Any suggestions are welcome, as I'm trying to decide what type of stroller I really need.

P.S. here are some options I looked at:

Customer Image Gallery for Valco Baby Tri Mode EX Twin Stroller

Triple Pram | Triplet Pram | ABC Adventure Triple Buggy

Peg Perego Official Website | United States | Baby Products | Triplette Sw

Inglesina International Web Site | Domino Trio

and just for laughs...
Runabout Page 22

October 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had one of these, my oldest was 29mos when we brought the twins home-affordable and worked for us-better on smooth surfaces
Walmart.com: Joovy - Big Caboose Stand-On Triple Stroller, Black: Strollers
October 14th, 2011, 10:27 AM
bliss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieJ View Post
I had one of these, my oldest was 29mos when we brought the twins home-affordable and worked for us-better on smooth surfaces
Walmart.com: Joovy - Big Caboose Stand-On Triple Stroller, Black: Strollers
Thanks. My son will be only 12-14 months at most, so I think too young to stand on his own for more than a few minutes?

Until what age do kids normally ride in strollers? 2 years? 4 years? Please clue me in

October 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Here is a stroller guide I found helpful when I was looking!

Here's a site with some awesome looking choices. Looks like it will fit Graco or Evenflo car seats. Double Decker Twin Strollers

I think it depends partly on how much walking you do, and for how long each time. 3 and 4 year olds will walk like "big kids" for a little while, but they get tired. When my middles were little (that makes me to say it out loud), we just kept the same single umbrella stroller... and often found ourselves carrying the younger one so the bigger one could ride.

That said, personally, I'd probably go with the single umbrella plus a double stroller quicker than a triple. But for me, I always have a helping hand with me - if not hubby, at least my 12yo is around. But that way if we don't need the third seat we can just leave it in the van.

I also had issues with the whole deal where at least one seat was still sitting straight up instead of laying back for an infant. There are some available, though, where you can snap the bucket car seats in them and then they change into the kind that sits up later. (I looked and couldn't find it just now. I will look more intensively later tonight!)

Some of the ones I saw had only ONE bucket car seat and then a sitting up seat... which works for one infant and a toddler but not for two infants. You could go that route, though, and use the stroller you have now for the second twin. I know Graco has the one where you attach two infant car seats, but that doesn't do anything for the toddler unless you go with a separate stroller.

We ended up with a Safety 1st jogger, because the seats layed back. I had my eyes on the Baby Trend jogger that is a lot like it, but I found this one used for CHEAP ($35! no joke!) so we did that instead.

Now that our kids are bigger and can sit up, though, we ended up getting a second double umbrella-type stroller. (Ours is a Kolcraft but I had my eyes on the Jeeps.) It's just easier to leave it in the van all the time and pull out and put back in for a quick trip or multiple trips (like holiday shopping). We use the jogger for things like when we go to the park or the zoo or for an exercise walk around the neighborhood, etc.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
October 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh right, I forgot your DS will still be pretty little. My twins are now 2y6mos and haven't needed a stroller for about three months, my DS1 was out by 3years for sure.
October 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
This is what I did. DD was 18 months old when my twin boys were born. I had the Chicco Together with the infant carriers and then an umbrella single for DD. Honestly are you ever going to go anywhere with all 3 by yourself? I seldom did. And on the occasion that I did go to the mall I would wear one baby and put the other baby in the carrier in the stroller and DD rode up front. Or I put a monkey leash on her and she walked, but like I said it was on the rare occasion. I didn't use the Chicco that long so you may just want to get the dbl snap n go for your infant carriers. You will find with mulitples that you will become stroller mama. At one point I had 6 of them. I now have a Chicco umbrella dbl, Britax single and then my Baby Jogger triple that I love. It is great for walks etc. It is very wide and will not fit through a door so this really isn't an option unless it is for outdoor use.

I'll also add that the dbl strollers will hold their value if you take care of them. I bought my Chicco on sale for $240 and sold it at my MoM's buy and sell and got $195 for it so it was totally worth the $45 for the 9 months I used it. Chicco's infant carriers hold their value as well.

I'll also add that the dbl strollers will hold their value if you take care of them. I bought my Chicco on sale for $240 and sold it at my MoM's buy and sell and got $195 for it so it was totally worth the $45 for the 9 months I used it. Chicco's infant carriers hold their value as well.

October 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had the Kolcraft Contours and the Combi Twin. If I had all three kids with me I'd wear one of the twins and put one of the twins in the stroller with my 2 year old. My oldest is now 4 and my twins are almost 2 and a half. We rarely put them in strollers now since they prefer to walk. We only put the twins in a stroller if we're going somewhere crowded.

October 15th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran
I got the Valco Trimode EX Twin for my soon to be born twins and their brother. I do a ton of walking because we live in the city so I needed a way to transport all three at once. If I lived somewhere where I had to drive, I would do a double snap n go with infant car seats and a single umbrella for my son, assuming someone was going with me. I'm not sure how I would drive with all three.
October 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
mommabirdof4
I have 2 toddlers then the twins...But my "big kids" are older. The biggest thing is to look at what you will be doing. Are you going to be taking all three out by yourself alot...or mainly when someone else is there? If you are like me and get out and about with all your kids alone all the time then I would get an option for all 3 to ride. I have been getting out with all 4 of my kids (all 3 and under) alone since DH went back to work at 1 week old. On avarage I get out with all 4 kiddos 3 or 4 times a week by myself.

Oh and we don't use infant seats...our boys have been in just the stroller since day one...we just bought a good full body infant support pillow for them.
October 16th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my friend was in your situation (almost exactly!!). she has five kids but the last three are little boys. one was less that a year when she got pregnant with her twin boys. i know she had the valco one and LOVED it! she said she did attract a lot of attention though. good luck on your search.

~~terre~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search