OT - Meal Planning

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
So, I think we have decided that Mondays - which is scout night for us - will be spaghetti. The kids begged for spaghetti yesterday but hubby and I are SO tired of it. Hubby told the kids, "TOMORROW!" When they kept bugging him, he emphasized, "Scout night? Spaghetti!! Scout night... spaghetti!! TOMORROW!!"

We also need to have a breakfast day. I don't cook breakfast well - I just have trouble getting it all done at the same time, and I'm not great at frying eggs. I can scramble them just fine, and do better on the grill than frying in a pan. Hubby makes fun of me. Anyway, point being, hubby cooks breakfast, not me. Since Mondays is apparently spaghetti night I guess Saturday needs to be breakfast day.

And we need a crock pot night.

And Fridays is pizza.

Do you have themed nights? I know a lot of people do "taco tuesday". Do you meal plan at all? Does anyone here do once-a-month cooking?

I have hard time getting to the kitchen to cook *at all* but that is just for this season. I hope. (Right, BTDT moms? Please say yes. LOL)

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
October 18th, 2011, 11:28 AM
abwright17's Avatar Ashley
I used to plan out meals for the week but right now its whatever Ashley can stand night for dinner lol.
October 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We generally plan everything on Friday night and/or Saturday morning as we are doing our grocery list. We have a whiteboard in the kitchen where the meals get written for the week, so we remember. Some days have our 'standing' meals nights in blue. The ones that we add for that particular week are in black (DH's system, but it works)

Saturday (standing): Fish Night
Sunday-Tuesday: whatever we want for that week
Wednesday (standing): Leftover Night
Thursday (standing): WSFFN, which stands for "whatever Steve Finds in the Freezer Night" DH like to improvize and not plan everything, so this is his night to throw together whatever he feels like. We generally have some basic things in the freezer (ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, sometimes pork chops or ribs). He comes up with all kinds of things, but they are good
Friday (standing): Date Night. It is not as much of a "date night" as it used to be, but we try to make this a night that neither one of cooks. This could mean going out and taking the kids with us, or me picking up something on the way home, or making a pizza (quick stuff from the freezer like pizza is allowable on date night), It we have gone out earlier in the week for one of our club meetings or something, then we will generally cook on Friday.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
October 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Very cool.

When I say that I seldom get to the kitchen to cook, what I mean is that often my 12yo cooks or sometimes hubby. LOL So we eat plenty of things like chicken nuggets and french fries - frozen stuff that my 12yo can just pop into the oven. Or spaghetti, which is why we have that so often that dh and I are sick of it. And hamburger helper. We almost never go out to eat. The past 3 months or so we've finally managed it again, about once a month on pay day at DQ because the $5 meal comes with a mini-blizzard.

But yeah, I need a better plan. Or, a plan at all. Maybe a plan will help me actually get in there to do it more often, because if I know that day-x is chicken night, I'll pull the chicken out of the freezer in time to thaw out so it's ready when I need it.

Wednesday night is pot luck at the church night.

October 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I sort of meal plan. I don't plan ahead and then shop for what I'm going to make. I basically shop what's on sale and in season and then cook according to what I have. I'm great at substituting for things that are out of season with things that are in. I also use Epicurious a lot because I can tell it what I have and it'll give me recipe ideas.

This weeks meal plan is/was.
Sunday: bean & ham soup with corn bread
Monday: beef & veggie stew over mashed potatoes
Tuesday: leftovers
Wednesday: burritos
Thursday: crockpot chicken
Friday: home made pizza
Sat: Tacos at a Halloween party

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

October 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Austinsmama2007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't do themed nights but I do meal plan usually 1-2 weeks ahead of time. I always double batch and I am really loving my crock pot these days!! With dh working every 3rd day I keep it simple on those nights since its just ds and I eating. Normally those are my left over nights or spaghetti nights or the stuff I like but dh hates!

This week I did a creamy cheese chicken over noodles, home made chili, home made lasagna and will be doing bacon/ranch chicken with pasta tomorrow night. Tonight is a fend for myself night which will probably be pesto chicken over rice. I also did baked potato soup earlier last week.

Now I gotta start planning next weeks menu. Thinking steaks will be on there with twice baked potatoes and probably taco soup. The rest I am not sure about.

October 27th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I havent done a menu since getting pregp (and totally wiped out) with the twins but hope to getback to it. I thought the themed nights might help me! I'd love to be able to double batch it, but have had issues finding pans big enough to cook enough just for the one meal each sitting as it is! Not sure how to go about that. Ugh.

We all eat at home twice a day tho so I've got a brain block on which meals are which. lol Here's what I have so far!

Sunday - lunch at Mom's or MIL's. Dinner???
Monday - spaghetti (I guess dinner? not sure on lunch)
Tuesday - "taco night" (read: Mexican theme. I'm not having tacos every week. LOL)
Wednesday - dinner potluck at church. Lunch is the bigger, fixed meal of unknown origin.
Thursday - ???
Friday - pizza (for whichever meal hubby is NOT home for. Usually dinner.)
Saturday - breakfast (for whichever meal hubby is willing to cook!)

Maybe Thursday should be Soup Day. Hubby said now that it's colder he wants to have soup/stew more often. I also hoped to have a "crock pot night" - which honestly it makes the most sense to do on Mondays since scouts actually throws our evenings off. So maybe spaghetti should be for lunch and we can crock it for dinner?

And I guess those are mostly dinners so I still need to figure out lunches. Hamburger Helper is on the list usually weekly, as are chicken nuggets and french fries. I'm still lacking, though. *sigh*

October 27th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Austinsmama2007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynnrmc View Post
I havent done a menu since getting pregp (and totally wiped out) with the twins but hope to getback to it. I thought the themed nights might help me! I'd love to be able to double batch it, but have had issues finding pans big enough to cook enough just for the one meal each sitting as it is! Not sure how to go about that. Ugh.

We all eat at home twice a day tho so I've got a brain block on which meals are which. lol Here's what I have so far!

Sunday - lunch at Mom's or MIL's. Dinner???
Monday - spaghetti (I guess dinner? not sure on lunch)
Tuesday - "taco night" (read: Mexican theme. I'm not having tacos every week. LOL)
Wednesday - dinner potluck at church. Lunch is the bigger, fixed meal of unknown origin.
Thursday - ???
Friday - pizza (for whichever meal hubby is NOT home for. Usually dinner.)
Saturday - breakfast (for whichever meal hubby is willing to cook!)

Maybe Thursday should be Soup Day. Hubby said now that it's colder he wants to have soup/stew more often. I also hoped to have a "crock pot night" - which honestly it makes the most sense to do on Mondays since scouts actually throws our evenings off. So maybe spaghetti should be for lunch and we can crock it for dinner?

And I guess those are mostly dinners so I still need to figure out lunches. Hamburger Helper is on the list usually weekly, as are chicken nuggets and french fries. I'm still lacking, though. *sigh*
I think crock potting it will definitely be on my week night routine at least once a week if not twice. I like the idea of doing a soup/stew once a week also.

And btw I am horrible with doing breakfasts. My mornings are usually chaos and I am severly sleep deprived so its usually something quick and easy for me and my 4yo (this will probably change when the twins are eating regular food). Hamburger helper is always stocked in my cabinets for those last minute meals when I end up having a busy day and no time to cook! We should do a recipe thread of some of everyones favorites or quick/easy dishes!

October 27th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I crock pot alot, esp when I forget to pull meat out the night before-then we have roast. I tried doing up a meal plan but am not organized enough. I just throw something together on the fly
October 31st, 2011, 07:22 PM
And see, I'd love to crock pot more often, but I don't even think about it until it's just about time to eat. Crock pots don't work that way. LOL I think having a specific "crock pot night" will probably help me actually get it done though. I think. I hope.

Thanks for sharing, ladies!

October 31st, 2011, 07:59 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have just recently started meal planning. Althought I haven't started a THEME night. But that sounds like a good idea. I planned for 2 weeks worth of meals. (mainly evening meals, since hardly anyone is home for lunch).

Have you all heard of Crock Pot Girls on Facebook? You should look them up. There are a TON of receipes in there discussion section. I found a fantastic Chicken noodle soup receipe and a Chicken and Dumpling receipe. Every one ate all of both neals. DH even said that I should make them more often. And for his mom too. :-)

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
October 31st, 2011, 11:16 PM
I found Crock Pot Girls on FB a while back! One of my homeschool friends (a publisher owner, actually - Maggie Hogan of Bright Ideas Press, who publishes Mystery of History et al) liked it so I liked it too. (I know. I'm such a copy cat.)

I haven't looked around on there much yet though. It's on my "to do" list!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search