How does it work?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2011, 06:42 AM
Super Mommy
Ok, so I have one thing that has been bothering me for a while, and i just don't know how it's going to work....I've heard quite a few ppl who nurse say to do both at once. Well with my son I usually nursed him to sleep and laid him down. Do you actually carry/hold both babies at once? If you feed them at once do you always need someone to help set you up and then take one of the babies when they are done? I'm sorry if its a stupid question, but other then always sitting on the couch to feed them, and then laying one down on the couch, idk how else to do it...
October 31st, 2011, 12:04 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmom View Post
but other then always sitting on the couch to feed them, and then laying one down on the couch, idk how else to do it...
That is exactly how I do it and I am not sure of any easier way to do it. If DH is around, I will get him to take one of them from me when they are done, but otherwise whichever one was done first just got to lay there with me until the other one finished. I would lay one down on the couch, get up holding the other.

When they were little little, I would usually pick them both up from their cribs at the same time at night to bring them out to the couch, but then take them back one by one (because it was easier not to jostle them that way).

Psalm 139:9-10
]
October 31st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I nursed them at the same time sitting on the couch. When DH was home he'd help me bring them to bed. When he wasn't, I'd usually carry them upstairs myself. I'd then swaddle them and put them to bed. You'll get very used to carrying both at one time. I could even burp them at the same time. You just get used to handling two at once.

During the night, I nursed both in my bed, but sitting up. If one was having a rough night, then I'd nurse her laying down so we could get some sleep.

Once they got a little older, I would sometimes nurse one at a time during the day. It was nice to have the one on one time. The other knew she had to just be patient and wait. I liked doing that because they got used to waiting and I could go out in public with them and nurse one then the other without huge breakdowns.

Everyone figures out something that works best for them. I nursed with both kids going the same direction and did not use a nursing pillow. I stopped using that after the first couple weeks because it was more hassle than it was worth. I have a friend who could only nurse her 2 using the football hold and a boppy pillow.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

October 31st, 2011, 06:21 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
When they were small, I did well with a crossed cradle hold. Caleb was quite a bit bigger, so I'd latch him first and then lay Lynndi kind of on his legs and latch her on the other side.

As they got to be a little bigger, I found it difficult to nurse both at once. Yes, football hold on the couch with appropriate cushioning worked okay, as did laying in bed with one beside me and one draped football-style over my top side, but other than that I didn't do a lot of dual nursing for most of their infancy.

Now that they are bigger and can sit up, I sometimes nurse them both at once by sitting them one on each leg facing me and just let them lean forward and nurse sitting up. It's a little awkward to do anywhere but at home, and they don't fall asleep well in that position, but it works great for times like when we've been gone from the house for a while and they just want a quick nip or if one of them is nursing and refuses to let go while the other one screams in need. LOL Sometimes it's just easier to latch them both then to have them take turns!

That said, I spent a LOT of time nursing during those in-between months (from about 2 months old until around 10 months). I just found it easier to nurse one at a time and stay in the living room than I did to leave the other kids by themselves and go to the bedroom to nurse. We didn't have a very comfy couch, and only one other chair, so not really enough space to do that anyway.

All that out there, I'll say now that I've really really enjoyed nursing. It sure has boosted my confidence in just being MOM. I've nursed three other babies for at least a year each (my second son self-weaned at 11 months - I was pregnant), but this did huge things for just my... I dunno what to call it... how I think about myself. Not esteem really... but sort of. Even with all the training I've had (I'm a WIC breastfeeding peer counselor, as well as just a nut who is interested in nursing and has done a lot of studying, even considered becoming a lactation consultant some day), and even having nursed other babies, I was a little worried about mechanics and just physically being ABLE to do this. I shouldn't have worried, and am SO GLAD I did!!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
November 1st, 2011, 06:10 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you everyone! You guys made me feel a lot more confident about it. I'm sure that its just one of those things I'll get used to after a while, but the idea of having twins is still leaving me wondering how we'll make it work. I'm sure it'll be some long nights and rough days, but it was like that with my son too. My only hope is that my son was SUCH an easy baby, very mellow, hardly cried, STTN at 3 months....I'm hoping his siblings follow in his footsteps! - hey, i can hope!
November 2nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
tandem nursing never worked for me. I do a lot of everything. I bottle feed, pump, and nurse. My daughter seems to nurse better at night, and my son better during the day. I did get an EZ 2 nurse twin pillow which was great.
November 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
I did get an EZ 2 nurse twin pillow which was great.
I agree that one of the twin nursing pillows is great (I have the My Brest Friend Twin). I have found it invaluable when tandem nursing, but even a good thing when I am nursing one and bottle feeding the other. I still lay them both on the pillow where it is easy to nurse one and hold the bottle for the other.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
November 2nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
I heard rave things about twin nursing pillows. I think I tried to use mine about 3 times. I just use a Boppy and love it.

November 4th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Thought I'd post a pic of how I nursed my kids. They are older here, but it was basically the same thing as infants, but with a pillow under the 2nd baby.

Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you for the pic! by the second baby, do you mean the one on top?
November 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Yep, the one on top. When they were tiny, the second baby was almost sitting on a pillow. I got good at nursing them like this without anything and would even do it in my car.

365 Days in a Roe

November 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Wahoo! Thanks for the picture!!

Mine do that way sometimes too, but whichever baby is on bottom right now tends to like beating the other one in the head.

I wish I could post pics! I'd post a couple for you, too. This is a great idea!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search