BTDT moms - delivery?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Super Mommy
The expectant mom's check in made me think of this...For those of you who already have your twins what kind of delivry did you have? vag or c-section? anyone have both? My dr is pretty adamant that I can have a vag delivery - even if baby b is breech, but protocol is to deliver in the OR and I was told that it's pretty strongly reccomended to get the epi in case of an emergency. Does that sound normal? I would really like to avoid the epi if I can, but it's sounding like i get it, or i risk being completely knocked out if an emergency arrises.
November 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a c-section scheduled for 38 weeks but my twins arrived by c-section at 36 weeks. Baby A was head down and Baby B was breech. I didn't think I could handle a vaginal delivery and a c-section so I opted for just a c-section. I had a positive birth experience with my c-section even though the recovery was tough.

November 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a csection scheduled for 38w and some odd days (I can't remember). My water broke and I had one at 36w5d instead. Baby B was breech and my OB was not willing to do a breech extraction, especially when they were my first babies. While I would have loved an unmedicated vaginal birth, I think that the csection was the best option for my girls and me.

We do have twin moms who have had unmedicated vaginal births and at least one who had baby A vaginally and then baby b via csection.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Austinsmama2007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had mine via c/s at 37 weeks. We ended up doing it 5 days earlier then originally scheduled. I went with c/s due to an awful vag delivery with my son. My c/s went very smoothly and I healed fast and easy.

November 14th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like your doctor thinks just like mine did. My baby A was vertex, but Baby B was breech, but he was perfectly willing and even seemed to expect a vaginal delivery for this. He did encourage me to get an epi, just in case he had to really work or turn Baby B to get her out. The hospital I delivered at did not make you deliver in the OR, but the other hospital in town makes all twins moms deliver in the c-section OR room. My hospital they put twins moms in the biggest room they have, which happens to be right next to the OR room, so at least you are close.
I loved not being in the OR all day. I can tell you that I planned on a vaginal birth. I was induced due to pre-eclampsia concerns at 36w5d and after being in labor ALL day and pushing for almost 3 hours, we finally decided that Noah (Baby A) just was not going to budge. They even tried using a vacuum on his head while I pushed, but he wouldn't come out. So in the end they prepped me for a c-section and I had one late that night. It wasn't a rush or emergency though, and DH was able to be in the room with me. I don't regret trying what I did. The midwife that helped with my pushing (LONG story as to why she was in their too, and my regular OB wasn't, though there was another OB there too .... but that is for a different time) ... anyway, she said from what she could she, she would recommend if I have another to have a c-section, because she thinks I may have the same issue next time. I guess I just not built right to get them out easily ...

Psalm 139:9-10
]
November 14th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine were born at 37.5 weeks. Scheduled induction. Baby A was born vaginally. Baby B was an emergency C/S. Both were head down, Baby B came Down cord and arm first. She was having a hard time recoverying from the each contraction. I also delivered in the OR with and Epi.

My recovery was ALOT easier then I thought it would be (much easier then my first child's delievery).

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
November 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I delivered via c/s at 37w 2d because of projected size (we should have waited!) and neither baby was vertex. My OB said he'd only deliver vaginally if BOTH babies were vertex, and as one of the most pro-natural birthing docs in the city I knew that he was my best chance. (And I planned on arguing until I was blue in the face if baby A had been vertex, but she was breech. Baby B was transverse.)

But yes, sounds pretty standard about the epi just in case. Personally, I'd have some struggles dealing with the decision as to whether to let them do it or not... but I've birthed 3 children previously with only induction and no other medications, including a 9-pounder. So I'd really pray hard and work through in my mind whether I thought the epi was worth it. If I'd had to decide that this time, I probably would have been very against it. Now that I've had the c/s and with hindsight advantage, I'm not sure it's as big of a deal as I'd have thought it was.

But I also had a great birth experience, even if the recovery time was horrible. (Again, having had 3 natural births, I would not recommend a c/s to anyone unless absolutely necessary.)

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
November 14th, 2011, 11:58 PM
April Flowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced at 37w for PIH and had mine vaginally the next day. Baby A (Tristan) was vertex, and Baby B (Abigail) was transverse but flipped to breech after Tristan came out. From what I understand, the doc reached up to check her and found a foot and her heart rate was dropping with each contraction, so she just stuck the foot back in, grabbed the butt, and pulled her out. Honestly, I didn't even feel it because I was so busy looking at my son. I only pushed for 20 minutes (15 for A, 5 for B) and both babies were out before the respiratory therapists had even arrived into the OR. Silly hospital thought I would be pushing for hours, being a first-time mom and all. Pssht.

What your doctor says seems pretty standard to me. I had to deliver in the OR per hospital policy, but I was able to labor in a regular labor room. I also was strongly advised to have an epidural, and I am super glad I did because I got a 2nd degree tear when they were extracting Abigail that I didn't even find out about until later. I don't want to think what that would have felt like otherwise. My recovery was uneventful except for all the swelling in my legs from the IV fluids required for the epi. I didn't request the epidural until I was at 8 cm anyway, and from what I understand it didn't "take" well (I couldn't walk but I knew perfectly well when to push and I felt that ring of fire. It sucked). I didn't require any other pain meds except ibuprofen afterwards and we had no NICU time and they roomed with me.

I was worried about being knocked out completely if we needed an emergency C-section. I didn't want to have no memories of my babies' birth. They offered to place the line but not put any meds in it if I preferred, but I don't regret any of my decisions. I trusted my doctor and I would do things the same way again in a heartbeat.

Gorgeous siggy courtesy of tasha_mae!
Oct 26, 2010--Thing 1 is a BOY and Thing 2 is a GIRL

November 15th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you for all your thoughts and stories. The birth has had me worried for a while, but hearing how yours went makes me feel better. I think that I also need to just wait and see how they are positioned when we get further along. I may not get a choice in the matter. Thank you!
November 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Regular
I had both of mine vaginally even though the second was positioned breech. In the OR (just in case), they were doing a continuous ultrasound to make sure everything was going well...the second baby turned head down and flipped after her brother was born! She literally kicked him out . I did have an epi though, and would not have attempted it without one. You can have them both vaginally for sure! Good luck.
November 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
I had a repeat c/s since DD was a c/s. I probably could have pushed for a VBAC, but I had no desire. Just so much easier going in and being done with it. A was breech anyway.

November 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Flowers View Post
I was worried about being knocked out completely if we needed an emergency C-section. I didn't want to have no memories of my babies' birth. They offered to place the line but not put any meds in it if I preferred, but I don't regret any of my decisions. I trusted my doctor and I would do things the same way again in a heartbeat.
And that's exactly why I'd have agonized over it if it had been an issue. LOL Glad I didn't have to make that decision, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmom View Post
Thank you for all your thoughts and stories. The birth has had me worried for a while, but hearing how yours went makes me feel better. I think that I also need to just wait and see how they are positioned when we get further along. I may not get a choice in the matter. Thank you!
:hugs: I worried and fretted over mine too! I think we all do, multiples and singletons alike. Being my 4th pregnancy, I got upset with myself for getting so antsy over it. And there is so much MORE that goes into consideration with multiples. It's totally understandable mama.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
November 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was induced at 37 weeks because I had Cholestasis. They broke my water, and things went along nicely.

I Laboured in the regular room. I didn't want an epi, and every time I went in for PTL they would push it on me, however they couldn't MAKE me get it. Their reasons were because of baby B flipping, and them having to go inside to yank him out, also because of a c/s.

I did end up getting the epi anyways because it hurt lol. When I was 10cm dilated they moved me into the OR. I delivered both babies vaginally. Both were head down. Baby A took 20min of pushing, baby B 6 minutes.

I ended up having a postpartum hemorrhage, and they proceeded to put their whole hand inside me to get out clots. I wish they kept my epi on for that. It sucked!

In the end, it was really easy, and minue the hemorrhage, I hope if I ever have kids again that it goes that smoothly.

They would have delivered me vaginally as long as baby A was head down. It never mattered what B was doing.
November 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
mommabirdof4
I had a super easy vaginal birth...I was induced at 37 weeks 2 days....start to finish it was a 4 1/2 hour labor. I did go ahead and get the epi just incase I needed a c-section for Corbin my baby B. I delivered in the OR but did not labor there I think I was only in the OR for 15 minutes total based on the notes. I was wheeled into the OR when they realized Cole was crowning...they held him in till I got in there...then I pushed 3 times and out he came...then one nurse held Corbin in place the other nurse got the US so they could take a look...Plus my OB stuck her hand up there to feel what was coming and it was a head. They told me to push when ever I wanted....so 3 more pushes and out came Corbin.Theey were born only 8 minutes apart...It was honestly my easiest birth of my 3. It was the talk of the hospital....everyone had to come see me and the boys....they all said they hadn't seen such an easy twin birth ever. It actually took longer for me to get my epi then to deliver the babies. I was a wonderful experience...got to go home with in 24 hours.
November 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran
I was induced at 37 weeks, mainly because I was misrable, I am 5'2'' and was 108 lbs before I got pregnant so i had a huge belly. And I could only take off 14 weeks of work and had already been off 6 ( I know selfish reasons ), but I am very glad I did because they were big for twins. My daughter was 6lbs 4oz, son was 5lbs 10oz.

Anyways my OB told me the entire time as long as baby A was head down I could deliver vaginally. Baby A was always head down and baby B was breach every u/s. Like you I was worried about having vaginal delivery and a c section, but I trusted my OB. I had to get epi before I even had in contractions because OB had a really hard time breaking my water due to it being extremely painful for me. Once I had epi though it was really easy to break water. I wanted epi anyways and it was highly recommend in case I need emergency c-section. So I never felt 1 contraction!!!! I also had to deliever in OR but it wasn't that big of a deal, it actually worked out because I only wanted DH there and I just told family they obviously couldn't come in the OR. I pushed all of about 5 min for baby A. OB reached in there and turned baby B around and I pushed about another 5 min for him. They had a portable u/s machine in there in case they needed it but they didn't. They were born 8 min apart.

November 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Super Mommy
I had an emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to concern about a possible uterine rupture. I had a c-section with my first and had a lot of pain at the site of my previous incision which had them concerned.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
December 2nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I had a c/s because baby B was breech and estimated to be a 1lb bigger. I could have done a baby B breech delivery if he had been less than 1/2 lb bigger and it would have been the same conditions delivering in the OR. Didn't have to have the epi (though I would have chosen it ) but accepting I would have been putt under if needed. Good luck its a hard decision to make, I was kinda glad it was taken out of my hands so I didn't have to chose though I would have like to tried to have them vaginally.

December 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran
I had mine vaginally at 37 weeks. A was vertex, B was breech and delivered by breech extraction. I delivered them in the OR just in case they needed to convert to emergency C section. I had an epidural, which they cranked up to C section levels after A was born in case the extraction failed. (You don't need to do any pushing for the extraction, it's all the doctor pulling the baby out) Before choosing a delivery method, I made sure that the doctors delivering me were very experienced with breech extraction, which I think is key to safe outcomes. I was also a good candidate because I had a previous vaginal delivery and B measured slightly smaller than A.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search