Question for Mom's w/twins + a toddler! HELP!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
WifeyHayes's Avatar Marine Wife expecting 2nd
Send a message via Yahoo to WifeyHayes
So I am pleased to announce that I am 8 weeks pregnant with twins! We have an 18 month old right now, so my hands will be full! Also DH is in the Marines, so I'm a single parent for about 6 months out of every year...

I'm in a panic mode, the normal thoughts I guess. But do any of you moms with infant twins and a toddler know of any stroller that's basically a sit and stand but for twins? Like twin infant seats plus a standing place for a toddler? Otherwise, how am I supposed to cart around 3 kids under the age of 3? Eek!

Also, were a littlefrustrated because we just signed a lease for a Nissan Altima, not knowing we were pregnant, let alone with twins! No way will 2 infant seats and a toddler seat fit in the back, it'simpossible and unsafe. I'm hoping we can talk the dealership and bank into upgrading our lease to a bigger car... Probably won't happen but we can't afford another car! I'm terrified of having to be the driver of a mini van...

I know we have to do what we have to do, and give up some of our wants, were just still in shock and trying to plan. Any info would help, thanks!
November 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your pregnancy and on twins! We just converted to a minivan in August, and I never thought I would like it, but I do! Here are 2 links to strollers that might fit your needs. I'm sure there are more out there too.

Amazon.com: Joovy Big Caboose Stand-On Tandem Triple Stroller Black: Baby
Joovy Big Caboose Stand-On Triple Stroller- Appletree - Best Price

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

November 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We moved to a mini van about a year after our girls were born. It was hard to move from a manual civic to an automatic mini van, but I have to say that the van makes things so much easier.

I used to watch my niece and nephew, who are 1 and 3 years older than my girls. I would put one girl and my nephew in the stroller and then wear the 2nd girl. You could always do that. I used to wear both kids all the time while I grocery shopped.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
CONGRATULATIONS!

I think we just talked about this a couple of weeks ago! I'm sure there's a stroller thread around here somewhere....

I also wore at least one baby a lot, though I didn't have a toddler in tow. (My next-youngest is 6 years older than my twins.) We try to shop at places that have TWO seats in the baskets, but that doesn't matter until they can sit up. I think most of us have opted for a double stroller plus a single umbrella stroller in most cases.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find that other thread and bump/link it!

Nice to meet you!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
November 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I have twin toddlers plus a younger baby. They all fit just fine in the back of our Prius, which is probably around the same size as the Altima? Just buy Sunshine Kids Radian 80s. They are awesome and highly rated car seats, and you can easily fit three across the back of your car.

The stroller issue is tricker. I think the Joovy big caboose is best for you, but I don't know if it will fit in your car. Maybe you could get a roof rack for the stroller? In my car, I can fit a double stroller in back, but I never did buy a triple. Maybe until you upgrade your car, you could get a double snap-n-go stroller, those fit well in the Prius with lots of room to spare. Then the 2-yr-old (which he'll be by the time the twins are born correct?) can walk holding your hand, or you could Ergo him. By the time the twins outgrow the snap-n-go, your son should be old enough to walk everywhere, or pretty close to it. Or maybe by then, you could lease a new car without penalties.

Congrats!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

Last edited by LisaB; November 19th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
November 20th, 2011, 09:56 AM
mommabirdof4
When my twins were born I had a just turned 3 year old and a 23 month old....I never bought a triple stroller...I Just stuck with my double that I used with my other kiddos. My big kids walk....they have to...I bought a product called Tag-a-longs that attach to your stroller for them to hold on to. My big kids stopped using a stroller when I was 26 weeks pregnant unless I forced them...it was NOT ideal but I will say it gave me time to work with the kiddos before the twins came. If I had just one toddler like in your case I think it would be ideal to wear one twin....then just use a double.

I am no help on the car issue I drove a big ford expedition pre-kids so we have never had to up grade!

I do love having 4 kids 3 and under...it is a lot of fun....enjoy!
November 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM
abwright17's Avatar Ashley
Awww congrats on the twins =D
November 22nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
April Flowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! I can understand being scared with your DH deployed half the year. Do you have anyone fairly local who can help out, or is a mother's helper or night nanny in the budget at all?

I cannot help you in the stroller department as I am not familiar with triple strollers at all. The Sunshine Radians are used by most moms I know who have triplets or more. They are supposed to fit three across in the back of any standard vehicle, although I have heard they can be difficult to install initially. Good luck!

Gorgeous siggy courtesy of tasha_mae!
Oct 26, 2010--Thing 1 is a BOY and Thing 2 is a GIRL

November 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
WifeyHayes's Avatar Marine Wife expecting 2nd
Send a message via Yahoo to WifeyHayes
Thank you ALL for the helpful info! It's comforting to know that it IS possible... to survive with twins and a toddler lol. My husband and I were thrilled to know we were pregnant, we told ourselves, 2 kids TOTAL is perfect! And thats where we planned on stopping, so to find out it's twins, was a HUGE shock to us. We are looking into a 3rd row seated car as I don't feel comfortable having all three kids in one row together and I think it would kill my back trying to get all of them in their seats everytime we get in and out of the car. I have bad RA and Fibro. Plus by that time, my daughter will know how to buckle herself in and out of her toddler seat so I can put her in the back row and then the twins in the middle row. Also we make road trips back to NY wen my DH deploys, so by having a bigger vehicle, we can drive there and bring all of our luggage and strollers with us.

The Joovy Big Caboos is a top contender for us. If my daughter is anything at the age of 24 months, like she is now at the age of 18 months, she is an INDEPENDENT woman and likes to roam and do her own thing. I have a feeling if I let her walk while I pushed the twins, I would loose her, and if I try to have her hold onto a 'leash' or something attached to the stroller to stick with us, she will throw a tantrum. She doesnt like to be forced to do anything lol.

But all the info has been great so far and I so appreciate everyone's input! I will definitely be sticking around to participate on the board
November 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
First off Congrats.

My DD was 18 months 2 days when my boys were born. I was in the same boat with driving a Altima. DH ended up taking over the Altima and I took over his Explorer. We already had 2 Britax Blvd so I just had to buy a 3rd conv when they were ready and I got the Radian which is perfect for 3 in a row. I agree you would kill yourself bending over putting 3 kids in an Altima. DD is now almost 3 and she would be clueless as to how to buckle herself in and then tighten the strap. Also you may want to make sure the 3rd row has a tether anchor, some don't.

As far as strollers goe. The joovy will not allow a toddler to sit if you have infant carriers in the stroller so keep that in mind. I got the Chicco Together and put DD in the front, a carrier in the back and wore a baby on the rare occasions I went out with all of them. I found it was easier just to stay at home and get help when I needed to go to the grocery store. I have also used the monkey backpack thing with leash and that helped some too. Also with the dbl joovy it may not fit in your car. A friend had one and she said hers didn't fit in her smaller suv.

Good luck.

November 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Super Mommy
My oldest was 20 months when my twins were born. I had a triple stroller for awhile, but it was such a pain that I didn't use it much. I ended up using the Graco Duoglider for the oldest and one twin and a infant carrier for the second twin. When the twins were a little older I used a frame carrier. The Joovy stroller looks like a good option. I just didn't want to spend the money on another stroller when my kids were little.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search