Slightly OT - quick meals

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2011, 02:14 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Especially when the twins were a little younger, I have had a hard time finding time to cook dinner!

Just wondering what everyone else does for "quick meals" at home. We don't often have the budget to eat out, plus we live way out in the boonies so all we could do would be Subway anyway. LOL

What kinds of quick meals do you grab when you don't have time to cook but NEED to eat (like um, NOW!! LOL)??

We often do frozen pizza - my 12yo can do that. We sometimes do sandwiches, but mostly it's frozen stuff that can just be popped in the oven, like chicken nuggets and french fries.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
November 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Frozen stuff definitely. We get bags of frozen precooked "Mesquite Grilled Chicken breasts" that are easy to warm up. We often made those with ma-n-cheese and peas mixed together. I think I ate more mac-n-cheese in the first 3 months of their lives than I have in a long time. I would also make triple or quadruple batches of meatloaf when I did get the time. I would bake one, then freeze two or three of them in ziploc freezer bags and smoosh the meatloaf flat. It was easier to store in the freezer flat and they thaw out faster. Then I could just form them back into a loaf in the ziploc without ever touching the raw meat again, dump in a pan and bake. Quick and Easy, and made for great leftovers.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
November 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Shannon1978's Avatar ~Formerly Donkey Lemonade
If you could get an afternoon free...I know, funny right!...could you make a whole bunch of meals and put them in a freezer? I was going to also suggest doubling up the recipes and freezing one of them.

I am not an expert...I am sure when the twins come I will be in the same boat! LOL!
November 30th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I try to keep things in the freezer that I can just bring out like leftover soup or lasagna. I used my crockpot a ton when my kids were new. I still use it, but not as often. We rarely have breakfast for dinner, but that's like our last go to when we need a quick supper.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

December 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Austinsmama2007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually try to keep a few frozen meals in my freezer for last minute dinners . I also do mac'n cheese or hot dogs/chili dogs, spaghetti with just the sauce and no meat....when I don't have time to thaw the meat out, I use the crockpot a lot and also try to double up so I can have leftovers for a couple more meals. I have also done top ramen and spahegtti o's and ravioli as last resorts. Oh and chicken nuggets and fries/tater tots.

December 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM
... I need a bigger freezer!

And there are 7 of us - I already double recipes, but seldom have more than a serving as leftovers. I'd have to quadruple... and then there's the whole issue with having pots and pans actually big enough to cook that much food.

I'm gonna have to figure it out though. This is one for the Large Families board, I guess...

December 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would recommend investing in a Crock Pot cookbook and a Casserole cookbook. One that we love is to take Chicken Breasts and line a greased casserole dish. Then put a slice of swiss on each and then 2 cans of cream of mushroom and then top it all off with 1 box of Dry Stove Top stuffing mix. Put a couple dabs of butter on top and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 min to an hour or until chicken is done. It's fantastic and pretty cheap. Another recommendation is to google "tator tot casserole" - which is yummy and a good one for kids.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
December 15th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made a lot in my crock pot when both girls in niicu and when mckenzie was home and Madison was in the nicu. We did chicken breasts or roast beef for sandwiches.
December 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM
We do tater tot casserole every now and then. That swiss chicken sounds yummy!

I need to use my crock more often. I also need a bigger crock pot. I don't often get the chance to think about a meal until it's almost time to eat it, and crock pots don't work like that! LOL One of these days I'll have it all together...

And I haven't purchased a cookbook in years. There's too many websites with FREE recipes these days for me to spend money on that. LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search