Tell me about your c-section

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KimberlyAnn327

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, Baby A is still breech and she's very low in my pelvis. And they are very cramped in there. I don't think either baby is going to turn from the way they are. So my c-section is scheduled for February 29 at 9:00 am. I'm excited to meet these babies but I've never had a c-section before and I'm kind of nervous. I'd especially like to hear about twin c-sections. Not sure how much different it would be but I'd still like to hear.

January 25th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I don't have anything to compare it to, but I had a c-section and didn't think it was too bad. I tried for vaginal birth, since Baby A was head down, but he refused to budge ... and after 3 hours of active pushing, vacuum assistance, no progression, and 1 exhausted Momma, we opted for a c-section. At that point anything sounded good to me. They prepped me for the c-section in about 30 minutes, so I didn't have much time to think about it, and I was exhausted, so I may not remember everything. I know they gave me extra pain killers in my epidural, and I didn't feel anything at all that I can remember at least for the actual procedure. I didn't have any issues with claustrophobia or anything. I can remember talking to the tech who was up by my head and to DH. I remember them showing each baby to me before they took them to the nursery. Almost as soon as they were done and they said they had finished stitching me up I felt like there was a VERY intense heat lamp on my lower abdomen. It wasn't pain, and not to the point of being a real burning sensation, but like someone needed to turn the heat lamp off. I remember putting my hand above there when I could, because it really felt like there was heat coming from somewhere. That was 11 at night and I didn't try getting out of bed until the next morning (and I needed help the first few times). I know there was definitely pain getting up and down for the next few days .. and even after I got home from the hospital I had to be careful some getting up and down, but it wasn't bad. Of course the heaviest thing I had to lift was a 7 lb baby (or two at once at 13 lbs). I know a friend with a c-section who had trouble with her toddlers, because they wanted to be picked up, and she just couldn't do that.
I will tell you my incision didn't want to heal and took a little over 6 weeks to finally close the last little bit of it up, but that sounds much worse that it was. Mostly it just oozed for a while and I had to keep some gauze there (or I started using pads stuck up on that part of my underwear ... yes attractive, but it worked). There was just one little part that was still open after about 2 weeks and it was just a deep hole that had to close up. DH was great about cleaning it for me though with a little peroxide (I couldn't even see it) and it closed up.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
January 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Austinsmama2007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a c/s with my twins and had a great experience. DS1 was vaginal and it was an awful delivery (the doctor was horrible).So maybe the fact this delivery went smoother and I had a new wonderful doctor made the whole experience better? I don't know. But the c/s was very routine, I did feel a little naseous right after they numbed me but they gave me meds right away to take it away.I felt just some tugging and pulling and that was about it. I felt very relaxed. Spent 2 hours in the recovery with the babies then off to my room. The nurses had me up for a little bit that same night and it was a little hard at first but the next day I was up moving on my own and was able to take a shower. I didn't think the pain was near as bad as the stories I heard (but I know everyone feels/recovers differently).But I was still pretty sore/tender for a couple weeks. But By 2 weeks PP I was back on the treadmill walking. I waited until about 6 weeks to resume normal workouts and running. But like I said everyone recovers differently.

January 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another great experience here. I wanted to have a natural drug free vaginal birth, but that wasn't in the cards for me with a breech baby. I did a bunch of research before the csection since I do better at new things if I know what's going to happen> I even watched videos on youtube. I talked to my Dr. ahead of time about how I would be sewn back up because I didn't want staples. I was very relaxed during the csection because I knew what to expect. I went into labor the night before i had my csection and labored all night because I wanted to experience it. My water broke the next day and I had my csection around 6:00 pm. My spinal was completely painless. I got to see both babies right away adn was able to nurse both within an hour. I held them both as I was wheeled from the recovery room to my post partum room. I stayed in the hospital the 5 days my insurance allowed because I didn't have other kids at home and it was nice to not do stairs. I was no longer on any pain meds by the time I went home. I had a prescription for something, but never filled it. I took what I needed at the hospital because staying ahead of the pain is important, but I know my body and as soon as pain meds start making me feel loopy, I know I don't need them anymore. I would have taken some tylenol at home if I needed it, but I didn't. I was very cautious what I did for the first few weeks at home because I didn't want any lasting issues.

I had a couple extremely minor "issues" with my csection. I started shaking like crazy during it, which is totally normal. Because I knew to expect that, I was able to tell the anesthesiologist as soon as it started so he could give me something to try to counteract it. My second was that I was numb much longer than I should have been. I was not nervous about that considering how any other numbing agent I've ever had has lasted way longer as well. My last was that I wanted to get up and walk the next day and wanted to eat as soon as I got up. I needed the catheter out and the Dr. to say it was okay to eat before I could do either and I hated waiting for both.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an emergency c section and was put out. My water broke and by time we got to the hospital i was 6 cm and baby A's feet were coming out. Both babies were born within 30mins of getting to the hospital. So i dont think my story really helps :-)

I will offer some advice...WALK. It will suck getting up the first time but it will be almost easy the second time. Dont wait to poo. The pain killers will slow things down so you and you dont want to hold it. Stop taking the pain meds asap because you milk will not come in very fast.

good luck!
January 31st, 2012, 05:08 AM
I have actually considered asking to be put out for it but everyone has told me not to do it. Thanks for all the stories! I love looking at all the baby pics, too!

February 1st, 2012, 11:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
aww dont be put out for everything. I dont even remember seeing my babies for the first time. :-( I feel like i missed out on so much because i was out of it most of the first day. I didnt get to hear them cry for the first time, my husband didnt get to hold my hand, i didnt even get to be one of the first to hold them. The nurse had to hold them to my breast so i could feed them.
February 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I had a decent experience also. I was bawling, because my other three were all med-free, natural (but induced) births and I *really* wanted to bring our twins in that way also. I have 5 kids and have never gone in to labor.

Anyway, the c/s itself went as it should, with no issues. The nurse in the OR was fantastic, held me and helped keep me calm even though I was bawling. (Apparently important while the anesthesiologist tries to place the needle....) My sister had had a witch-of-a-woman for her OR nurse when my oldest niece was born and so I was scared, but this woman was GREAT and she's THE reason I did okay in there. Everyone wanted to brush off how I felt about it, but it was important to me and I was sad. She gave me room to be sad and helped me do what I needed to do.

In the end, recovery sucks. It's harder than my vaginals ever were, and I'd much rather do 2 days of labor with a quick and easy birth than to have 6 weeks worth of pain and not hardly being able to move. But, all in all, when you get down to reality and away from emotion, it went well and it was fine. It's absolutely not what I'd have preferred, definitely not what I wanted, and certainly not what I'd recommend if there's any choice --- but in the end, they get here and they are fine, and we had two healthy full-term babies. All is well.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I know that they wouldn't even put me under unless it was a true emergency. I'm sure everything will go just as planned. I'm very nervous about getting a spinal. All the times that I've gotten the epidural, I was in so much pain from labor that I didn't really care that they were shoving a gigantic needle in my back. This time, if all goes according to plan, that won't be the case. I'm nervous about being awake for surgery and I'm nervous about the recovery. But it's just something I have to get through. I've been trying to do all the preparing that I can. Reading, asking a lot of questions, hearing people's stories, etc. I'm looking forward to my appointment on Thursday so I can ask a ton of other questions. At most, we just have 23 days to go!
dalynnrmc likes this.

February 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Veteran
The section itself was no big deal. I was disapointed because I had really hoped to delivery vaginally. Baby A was vag but B was transverse and really big. They tried to turn her but were unsuccessful.
Recovery was much much worse than with my previous deliveries. I dont know how much of that was because of the c-section and how much was because of twins and them trying so much to turn her.
When the edpidual first wore off I was in a lot of pain so I wish I had asked for painkillers before that. And I agree with the earlier suggestion of walking. Even though its tough.
It did take a long time to heal. Again not sure if that is just because it was a c-section. But usually Im on my feet right away. This time I had to sleep on the couch for a week cause I couldnt get into my bed.
Take it easy and enjoy those babies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search