My babies are here!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2012, 10:58 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I saw that Dalynn updated for me. Serena and I are home and doing well. Seth is still in the NICU. Right now he's in an incubator and has a feeding tube. They said they don't want to turn down the temperature down in his incubator until he starts gaining weight back. At this point, his weight loss is pretty minimal. I'm hoping he has a turn around soon.
He isn't eating very well, which is the reason for the feeding tube. He is also having a lot of trouble with spitting up. He spits up quite a bit. It's disturbing to watch. Right now they are trying to thicken his formula with rice cereal to see if that stops it. He is also on azithromycin to help the food move from his stomach faster. If this doesn't work, the next step is to switch his formula. They are trying to avoid the reflux medication but I don't see how that would be any worse than what he's already on. All we can do is wait. It's pretty hard having one at home thriving and one in the NICU struggling.
I did try breastfeeding but with them being born so early, it was very hard. When I could actually get Serena to nurse, it still wasn't enough. She lost 10% of her weight and we had to supplement, too. I was also instructed to pump after every feeding. Whatever I got, I took to the NICU for Seth. Sometimes I would get enough for a whole feeding. Other times, not very much. It took a long time for Serena to eat, an hour or so. I did get to try Seth to nurse but he was started on bottles and formula before I even got to try nursing at all. He just could not get it. After over 3 days of this, I decided that there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to do all of this at home with 5 other kids and made the decision to switch to formula. It was the right decision for us. I was so much happier with formula. My milk is mostly dried up now, too.
I posted their birth story and a picture of them in the birth stories forum if you want to check that out.

February 20th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! I am glad the two of you are home, and I hope Seth is able to come home soon too. I totally understand the decision for formula. I remember the first month or so feeling like I was glued to my couch. It took 45 min to an hour for them to nurse each time and then I pumped afterwards, because Abigail was a lazy nurser and we were supplementing her with a bottle of bm. I swear my butt was SOO sore from sitting. I can't imagine how you could do that with so many older kids wanting your attention too! As you said you have to make the decision that is right for your family.
If you haven't already, definitely write to the fomula folks. I don't know which formula they are on, but I know Enfamil sent us two cases of the small cans. That lasted us for a while when I went back to work and we needed to start supplementing what I could pump with formula.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
February 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Congrats on your babies. I hope everyone is home and doing well very soon.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

February 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
So happy to see you around and posting! I saw your updates in the Sept PR; I need to add you on FB and am not sure how I missed doing that already!!

So glad the babies are doing well!

And I agree - you should call the formula companies and see what help they might give. Free formula, coupons, both, anything should help! Kudos to you for doing what will work best. :hugs:

Can't wait to see some pics!!! Take care hun! Get rest when you can!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search