First Words, Talking

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
We're working on first words here!

In addition to stuff like mama, dada, bubba...

Lynndi can say "baby" plain as day. It's so cute!

Lynndi and Caleb both have been saying "me-me" for a while and I wasn't sure what it was. This week it finally dawned on me that this is "milkies" - our word for nursing. We don't use it all the time, but often at the house I will ask them if they want milkies, and they will sign "please" to show that they do.

We're doing some signs, but not tons. I've noticed recently, though, something odd.

You hear about twins having their own language, and then when you have twins and look into it you find out that this most often applies to identical twins and even then not all of them. So, while I thought it sure would be cute, I wasn't really holding out hope that they'd develop their own language.

I'm noticing they sign at each other though. It seems that they CAN communicate with each other in what is their own language... only it's not a verbal language. They sign. Very, very strange - and kinda cool!!

Hope it doesn't delay their words though. LOL It sure is cute!!!

What were your multiples first words? Do they communicate with each other so that no one else really gets it?

If yours are too little to do that yet, are they noticing each other? Do they care? LOL

If you're still expecting, what are your thoughts on all of this? Do you talk to the babies? Does hubby or any older siblings talk to your tummy, etc? Do you plan to use baby signs or ASL when the time comes?

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have it written down, but can't remember for sure who said what first. I believe A said "byebye" and E said "kitty" as her first word. We were all hanging out in our bed and one of the cats left. They had a bunch of words and said each others names way before they said mama or dada. They were both slow to talk, but now at 2.5 speak very well. I remember asking the pedi about their language at their 15m appointment since they only had 1 or 2 words each. THey had a couple signs, so she said they were fine. They do have their own "language". It's mainly words here and there, but I've figured out most of it by paying attention to what they are looking at or doing when they use the words. They both can sign, but don't do much of it. They have a deaf aunt, so we've always signed a ton with them. They just refuse to do it even though they understand it. They are getting better since they realize their aunt can't hear them.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far it is mostly just ma-ma, da-da, and ba-ba, though I am not sure they really link those to anything yet, considering they will grin at me and babble "da-da-da-da-da". Abigail does have her first word on top of those though. Again, I am not sure she puts a meaning to it, but she loves to say "good, good, good, good, good" She has been doing it for well over a month now, but it still cracks us up every time she does.

I do some signing with them, but they don't sign anything back yet. I didn't start until they were around 7 months though, so I have only been doing it 2 months and I don't know how consistent DH really is during the day with it. So far we just do milk, cereal, more and all done.

Their only "communication" with each other at this point is trying to steal things from the other .... pacifiers, bibs, toys ... or just to reach out and touch the other. No babbling back and forth yet.

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search