If you used formula

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2012, 07:14 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How were you able to feed both babies at the same time? Since Seth just came home yesterday (Yay!), I've only had to feed one baby at a time so far until this morning. Serena woke up first, so I started feeding her. She got about halfway through her bottle when Seth woke up. I tried to lay them both on the floor but their head just turn to the side too much. So I ended up taking turns with them. I set Serena on the floor while I fed Seth and when he got tired, I burped him and sat him down and started with Serena again. It took me an hour to feed both of them. I could use some tips. My older kids would probably be more than willing to help out when they get home from school but eventually the novelty is going to wear off and they'll see helping me out as a chore. It was especially hard this morning when I was trying to feed both of them and my other younger kids were all over them constantly. Also, I know this is a while off but when can they hold their bottles by themselves? Yeah, I definitely need more than 2 hands...

February 28th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
two boppies and sit on the couch-it gets easier as they get more upper body strength, its harder when they're little but doable

Lucky mother to five!

March 1st, 2012, 04:32 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did a combo of bfing and bottle feeding, but I still loved the twin nursing pillows even when they were both getting a bottle. It let then both lay up next to me and put their mouths at an easy height for holding bottles. I had this one breastfeeding twins with my breast friend twins plus pillow and still use it at 9 months.

DH is a SAHD, so he has been bottle feeding both at once during the day since about 9 weeks. In the beginning he used the 2 boppy on the couch method talked about above. That worked great and if they feel asleep afterwards, they would just sleep there. As they got older someone recommended the bebe bottle sling (Baby Bottle Holders | Teach to Hold Baby Bottle) ... We love these too. They hang off of the car seats and let him feed them both at once. They are also great for when we are out shopping or something and the kids are hungry. We started using them around 3 1/2 months (just because that is when we got them). At first, the kids would lose the bottle out of their mouth and he would have to put it back in, but he could still easily sit in front of both of them and take care of whichever one lost the bottle. By around 5-6 months though, they were able to push the bottle back in their own mouth when they lost it. These were truly a lifesaver to him.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
March 1st, 2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I breastfed one, and bottle fed the other....but I know when they wanted to eat at the same time I was a nervous wreck. It is what I dread the most, even at 7 months.I much prefer to feed them separately. If I did have to feed them at the same time, I would stick them in their chairs, and feed them. I have really no suggestions. Good luck! It gets easier, I promise.
March 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
I've started feeding just one baby at a time during the day. When dh has both, he's still trying to do both at the same time. I can't wait for them to have better head control. That will make things easier.

March 2nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
Veteran
Once they were about 6 weeks or so I was able to sit them each in a bouncy chair and I'd sit on the floor between them and feed them that way. Before that they got fed separately or DH fed one and I fed the other. I didn't even think about using a boppy, but we only had one.

March 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
We only have 1 boppy as well. I like the bouncy chair idea, but again, we only have one. Maybe time to invest in a 2nd one!

March 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran
I always feed my seperetly. I like the one on one time. If the other one wakes up I put them in a bouncy chair and give their pacifier. Usually they will wait. I think it teaches them some patience. Also my daughter has really bad acid reflux and trying to feed her at all can be very difficult, there is no way I could feed them both at the same time if her acid reflux is acting up
March 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I always fed mine separately as well. We were BFing, but I think the concept works about the same as far as time considerations go. It means a lot of time spent doing nothing but caring for babies, so my only thoughts as far as your situation goes are if your 18mo will let you spend that much time. Maybe if you take time with her in a third turn or something?

Feed, feed, eat something for ME, pee, repeat.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
March 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM
DaLynn ... I don't know how you ever survived bfing them each separately. It took me almost an hour just to bf them at the same time when they we that young. They were just incredibly SLOW eaters. I would literally have spent my entire day on the couch ...

]
March 6th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Serena is a pretty fast eater. She drinks her 2 oz bottle in about 20 minutes. Seth is a little bit slower. So I usually just wake her up first and change, feed and burp her and then do Seth. Even if she doesn't go back to sleep, she lays awake content while I feed him. I still prefer to have an extra set of hands, though.

March 6th, 2012, 06:27 PM
At least you are figuring out a rhythm that works for you. I think every baby/babies/family is different ... That is the beauty of asking for advice around here. You get a bunch of different answers, a lot of which you never even thought of ... and then you take what works for you from it and ignore the rest

]
March 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Super Mommy
I would feed both of them at the same time but it took quite a bit of effort. I just held one in each arm and held their bottles with my hands. To make things easier, I bought a fee Podee bottles. They were a lifesaver! They were great for times when I just couldn't hold both babies. I had a 20 month old at the time too, so there were times when feeding one at a time just wasn't practical.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
March 15th, 2012, 08:30 AM
The Wife's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to The Wife
Hi and congrats on your beautiful new additions!!!

It was hard for me to feed both girls in the beginning. Everyone told me feeding them both at the same time was the best thing, but it turned out not to work for us so much. We wound up feeding them one right after the other. In order to do that, we had to catch them BEFORE they started fussing, b/c once both of them were fussing it was almost impossible to just sit there, feed one and listen to the other one being upset....

We bought the boppy pillows that DO NOT have complete hole cut out in the middle (They are called newborn loungers). They just dip in the middle and support their bodies better when they are tiny. Actually at their current age (5+ months and in the 90th percentile for height and weight) they still use them to nap in every now and then :-) I wound up putting one on either side of me on the couch, bed or floor and positioned their heads in a way that wouldn't hurt my arms while I fed them... If I wound up feeding both at the same exact time-- I would have to burp them immediately after, or they would spit up a little, so maneuvering that proved to be a bit difficult.

As they got older, I bought the Podee bottle like the previous poster mentioned... they were GREAT... but now, they are at the point where I think they SHOULD be holding their bottles by themselves (not able to direct it in and out of their mouths, just hold it there at least) and the Podee bottles seem to hinder that, as they don't need to hold on to anything to feed.

We use it when I am home alone with the girls and I am feeding one and the other suddenly becomes super irritable and screaming ... it's a sanity saver for sure. But we try to limit the use.

It also comes in REALLY handy when they are in their stroller / carseats... I wouldn't recommend it at this stage for you, b/c they will need to be able to keep a pacifier in their mouth without spitting it out to feed (otherwise You'll be putting it back in constantly) and they need to have enough strength to suck up a straw... since the fluid doesn't stay up in the nipple.

Really the best thing was just to be proactive about the feeding and start them BEFORE they get fussy or as soon as one starts... then move on and feed the next.

Good luck with everything. I remember the beginning, it seemed sooo overwhelming, but everyone told me it would get easier, and it did :-)

Stop by, we'd love to have you!
--> www.BECAUSEOFMATCH.com

March 21st, 2012, 11:24 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We feed on demand, so sometimes that meant feeding both at the same time. I had two boppies and placed them on either side of me. If DH was home then he would hold/feed one while I held/fed the other.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search