Log In Sign Up

VBAC vs. C-section


Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
April 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
KMH KMH is offline
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: right of center
Posts: 19,127
Background: I planned a NCB with my first pregnancy, but DD was stubbornly breech and I had a c-section at 37w0d after going into labor on my own.

My doc will let me try a VBAC if the first little one is head-down, or he'll do a c-section when I go into labor (but he won't let me go past 38w0d because he is worried about uterine rupture).

How did you all make this decision? I can see pros and cons of both, and of course I know that whatever I plan, the babies might have something else in mind I'm just starting to do some research and think about this, but if any of you all can share any insight, that would help, too!
__________________


Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Reply With Quote
  #2  
April 9th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,211
Definitely think about what you want, but don't plan too much at this point, because as you said, anyting can happen. My OB was all for a vaginal birth also if Baby A was head down (which he was). They induced me at 36 w 5 d due to concerns with pre-eclampsia, but after actively pushing for almost 3 hours, he refused to budge. They even tried suction to help him out, but nope ... so in the end I ended up with a C-section anyway. That is not to say don't try for a VBAC though if you want one. I don't regret trying and ending up with a c-section.
__________________
"If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall Thy hand lead me and Thy right hand shall guide me."

Psalm 139:9-10
]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
April 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 12,946
That's a tough one. I'm trying for a VBAC this time, but the twins were my first and I only have one baby this time around. I think part of it depends on how strongly you want the VBAC. Personally, if you feel comfortable with your Dr., and a VBAC, then I would say to go for it. Will your Dr. let you deliver baby b breech if it comes to that? Also, has he/she discussed the possibility of baby a being born vaginally and then needing a csection for b if baby b doesn't present correctly? I don't want to scare you, just think those are things to discuss with him.
__________________

Thank you peimum for my siggie






Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe


Reply With Quote
  #4  
April 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
KMH KMH is offline
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: right of center
Posts: 19,127
I guess that is what I have to decide. I was hell-bent on a NCB the first time around and all my plans went to dust. This time, I would have to be prepped for a section in case they have to get Baby B out asap, so I'd be hooked up to all kinds of equipment and IVs and flat on my back....not exactly the NCB I envisioned. I actually had a great experience with my c-section and recovery, so that part isn't as scary as it was the first time around.

Val, I haven't asked about a breech delivery for #2...that's on my list of questions to ask at my next appointment. You hit the nail on the head, though...my biggest fear is delivering #1 just fine, and then having to have an emergency c-section for the second one.

Rae-of-Sunshine, how was your recovery after going thru labor and then having the c-section?
__________________


Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Reply With Quote
  #5  
April 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 12,946
I didn't push, but went into labor on my own with A&E. I wanted to experience labor and wanted the babies to get the benefit of contractions to try to clear out their lungs, so I didn't call my Dr. right away. I called after about 6 hours and went to the hospital. They tried to stop my contractions, but it didn't work. I was still having back labor when I was sent home. They thought my contractions were gone, but I was DONE being pregnant. I went home and my water broke a few hours later. I labored for another 6 hours before my csection...19 hours total. I don't think my recovery was any worse than it would have been if I hadn't been in labor. I was super tired from not sleeping for a few days. Like I said though, I didn't push, so I didn't have to recover from a vaginal birth too...I did the last 6 hours on my back, in bed, while being highly monitored. I wasn't allowed even ice chips. It wasn't not my ideal birth experience, but it was doable. My Dr. was not wiling to deliver baby b breach and so we went ahead adn did the csection. She wanted to finish her work day before coming to the hospital to do the csection and they didn't want my labor progressing, so that was the main reason I was stuck in bed.
__________________

Thank you peimum for my siggie






Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe


Reply With Quote
  #6  
April 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
Rae-of-Sunshine, how was your recovery after going thru labor and then having the c-section?
I don't have anything to compare it to, so it is hard to say, but I didn't think my recovery was that bad. Probably no worse than just a c-section. Yes, I was exhausted, but I had been awake probably 41 hours by the time I finally had the c-section, so I think it was as much due to that as to the labor. The only thing I truly hated about the whole experience was that my OB sent me to the hospital that night around 7-8 to be monitored and then induced starting early the next morning. Sounded good on paper, but in order to "monitor" both the babies, the only position I could be in was on my back, because every time I tried to lay on my side to sleep, we lost the Baby A (Abigail) on the monitor. I could NOT sleep on my back, even propped up in the bed, so it was a miserable night. I think I would have been MUCH better off if I could have stayed home, slept and come in early in the morning (then again, I would have been soo excited/anxious/etc, who knows if I would have slept). If I had it to do over, I would ask if it was truly necessary to monitor them both the whole time the night before, or if I could have slept some in between and just checked on them every few hours.
__________________
"If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall Thy hand lead me and Thy right hand shall guide me."

Psalm 139:9-10
]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
April 23rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 13,408
I had a vaginal birth with DS1 and an emergency c-section with DD. I had decided before we even got pregnant again that I really wanted a VBAC. My OB practice and hospital is VERY VBAC friendly. When I found out about the twins I was still hopeful that I could try for a VBAC. However, the risks got the best of me. My OB presented them to me and told me that if I were having a singleton it would be no problem, but she'd rather not try it with twins. She told me that if I really wanted to we could though. The thought that we really didn't know how big my uterus would get or what would happen to the scar on my uterus with 2 babies was the biggest deciding factor for me to go with the c-section. The hardest thing for me to do was sign the c-section form, because right under the signature line was a box to check for wanting a trial of labor. I didn't sign it for weeks, because I so badly wanted to check that box. I'm glad that I made the decision that I did. My recovery this time around was a lot more smooth than my recovery with DD in part because I expected the c-section this time.
__________________



Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!


Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0