Breastfeeding twins!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM
abwright17's Avatar Ashley
Have any of you ladies pulled it off?
April 13th, 2012, 07:42 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
There are several ladies on here who have...I bet they'll be along soon.

I plan to breastfeed our twins this Fall. This book Amazon.com: Mothering Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More! (La Leche League International Book) (9780976896937): Karen Kerkhoff Gromada: Books was suggested to me by one of the other twin Mamas on the board, and it is a great book. I have highlighted and marked things all over in the book, and I feel more confident after having read it.
dalynnrmc likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 13th, 2012, 07:48 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't yet...but when my girls arrive in June/July...I plan to.

I have talked with a LOT of real life friends and acquaintances who have & they all are very supportive and positive. One friend never tandem fed, but most did successfully, especially as the twins got a bit older and used to bf'ing.

I'm curious to hear the responses from other BTDT Twin mamas too.
April 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did kind of ... not to the degree some others here have though ... let me explain ...

I read that book also, and it was ok ... the best help I got came from the lactation consultant at the hospital here. They have a whole separate area set up for them, and when I was having issues at 2 weeks trying to get them to latch on well (we were actually tube feeding them at first) I went in there and she was SO helpful. I went back again several times that month to make sure they were getting enough and doing well. After the first time though, we did more just chatting while I fed them and then weighing before/after.
I breastfed mine from 2 weeks until about 6 months for Abigail (she was a very fussy nurser, and not worth the fight) and am still nursing Noah in the mornings before work now at almost 11 months now. When I was on maternity leave we only had to supplement with formula a little (Abigail would get supplemented with pumped milk though, because she was not always a good nurser). When I went back to work I wasn't pumping enough though. They started out about 90% bm and now at almost 11 months are each getting about 50/50 milk/formula. I think if you are a SAHM you have a better chance of keeping up with supply for two. I stressed about it a little at first, but now I just roll with it.
My best advice is tandem feed. I would have gone crazy if I didn't. As it was for the first month or 2 I felt like I was surgically attached to my couch. If I had been feeding one at a time, I am not sure I would have EVER left the couch. I have a twin nursing pillow (My Brestfriend - breastfeeding twins with my breast friend twins plus pillow) that is a LIFESAVER. It made it easy when they were little to position them and hold them both. I will say I was very dependent on it though, and nursing away from home was/is something I almost never did. If I did, it was typically Noah, because he wasn't as fussy about nursing and would take food when and where he got it.

If you have questions, let me know. Like I said, we had our share of difficulties, used nipple shields for quite a while too (at the suggestion of the LC - and they were miracle workers too those shields - at least for my babies), but we made it work. I think it I had not had to start giving Abigail bottles all day when I was at work, then we would have been able to keep her bfing longer. Because she was never a good nurser to begin with, she didn't switch well. Noah on the other hand switched back an forth without any issues ... anyway ... long story to say it CAN be done ... and I know several people WAY more successful at it than me ... so if you want to, then go for it!

Psalm 139:9-10
]
April 14th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Me! Six months and going strong
April 15th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I breastfed my twins for almost 19 months. It was very difficult in the beginning. Neither had a good latch and would tire very quickly. I would try to BF then, then I'd pump and bottle feed with pumped milk. This was pretty much our routine for the first month. I stopped trying to BF at night after the first week and just pumped and bottle fed. At first, we were using the disposable nipples that go onto formula and the small Medela pumping bottles. Then we moved to NUK and eventually to First Years Breastflow Bottles. The girls eventually got good at nursing, so we gave up bottles during the day and then they got faster at nursing so I let them nurse some during the night...and then they refused bottles all together. I didn't mind though because I was happy to ditch the constant pumping at that point. We had many rough nights with little sleep, but it was so worth it IMO. Once they got good, BFing was super easy. I used a tandem EZ 2 Nurse pillow in the beginning, but only for the first few weeks. It was hard to get both arranged on it and I always felt like it was made for women who are bigger than I am. I ditched that and ended up tandem feeding with one baby across my body and another sort of in a football type hold. The second baby laid partly on the first and then on a pillow. I could nurse both with one hand free. I don't have a great picture from when they were infants, but this is them toward the end of our nursing days.

I hope it's easy for you from the beginning. If not, just know that you can work through it and it's totally worth doing if you can.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Mine are 19 months and we are still going strong. Looking at and trying to begin some weaning, partly because we are having iron issues (they aren't eating enough solid food) and partly to hopefully help with sleeping through the night. That has been our toughest issue - hard to sleep train nursing twins! I think we are on the verge though.

I'm also a certified WIC breastfeeding peer counselor, and have three older kids that I also breastfed for at least a year each. I love giving help, so feel free to PM me any time! I'd even talk on the phone if you like/prefer - I tend to get more things done around the house if I'm on the phone. LOL

Anyway, it can be done! You're right though, doesn't seem to be extremely common and especially not for any extended amount of time. Takes commitment... and time! You can do it!!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 16th, 2012, 05:57 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Thanks so much to the ladies giving great advice and encouragement IRL it seems like all I get are negative comments about how horrible it will be having twins and that I'll have to formula feed. I love hearing that it CAN be done!
dalynnrmc likes this.

Melissa & DH

April 20th, 2012, 07:20 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I did, but ended up nursing one and pumping for the other (long story lol) not entirely what I would recommend but you are so sleep deprived during those first couple weeks you do what you have to survive. Obviously knowing what I know now it can be done, support is key. Finding a good LC helped us out tremendously

April 22nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I just now noticed in your siggy the tag line, "Sometimes when you pray for a miracle you get two." LOL So true! While we have never had to deal with the suffering and heartache associated with waiting to become pregnant or with loss, I have prayed and waited for a baby girl for a LONG LONG time. The good Lord finally sent her - along with a twin brother, the 4th boy.

Just giggling with you and agreeing - isn't God funny sometimes?

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 23rd, 2012, 06:53 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynnrmc View Post
I just now noticed in your siggy the tag line, "Sometimes when you pray for a miracle you get two."
I just got that siggy yesterday, so you haven't been missing anything before I'm so glad you got your little girl...daughters are pretty amazing!

We conceived our twins using IVF, and all we were hoping was to make Claire a big sister once. We originally wanted 3 or 4 kids, but with our infertility issues, we felt lucky to just have one. Now these "infertiles" will have 3 under 3 this fall God is good!

Melissa & DH

April 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
fka lmsan
I am hoping to BF (really hoping to EBF while on maternity leave, though I know thats probably not realistic) when my twins come (due in June).

I joined my local Mothers of Multiples club, and I have been surprised at how many mothers did it successfully for months and didn't make it sound like it was ridiculously difficult. I am definitely going to get a twin nursing pillow - I've heard from many that those really made it possible to tandem feed.

Big Brother Darius excited for the arrival of
Marcus and Sophie
May 2nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did for six mos, I went back to work and had issues with pumping and eventually weaned them to formula. It can definitely be done!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search