Should I be buying identical dolls/clothes?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
revolutionarygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looks like I'm having two fraternal girls!

I've just started registering... and so the thought came up... should I be buying matching items or not?
I'm talking about items like dolls and clothing.

At what point do they become aware enough that they prefer something...? (what age/point do I need to start worrying about this?) ie, I've heard that often they'll want what the other one has, etc...? so I should have two identical dolls right? So that there isn't one pink one and one purple one to fight over who gets the pink one or whatever...?

I'm just not sure how to think about this.

Advice please!
May 3rd, 2012, 04:24 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well .. I can't give exact advice, but mine are b/g twins, but I can tell you in the beginning they won't notice or care for a while. Mine are 11 months and now will go take a toy from the other one sometimes, but I think not having two of everything teaches them to share. There are some things you will definitely want two of (a favorite teether is a good example, because it is hard to share that). I think buying different toys though gives you the ability to buy they more variety of things to play with. I also try to buy some toys that are big enough for two to play with at once.

Whether the clothing or dolls match is really your choice at this point. WHen they get a lot older they will probably have opinions on what they want to wear, but for now do what you want. Matching, or coordinating, or nothing similar at all.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
May 3rd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have ID girls. We have some duplicate dolls but not all. They decide what they want a lot of the time and like having things different. We definitely do not buy 2 of every toy. We had a lot of matching clothes in the beginning, mostly from other people. We rarely buy anything matching, but do have some coordinating things. They don't always wear the coordinating things on the same day now that they are 2.5y and decide what they want to wear. For me, it's important that they be individuals, so I was never big on dressing them the same.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

May 3rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I guess since mine are B/G twins from IVF, I don't look at them as much like twins as siblings that just happen to be sharing the same womb. We aren't doing matching names or anything cutesy...just trying to treat them like individuals. I can see dressing them in coordinating outfits sometimes, but probably the majority of those clothing items will be gifts.

Just do whatever feels right for you, and know that different strategies might work for different ages.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

May 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran
My girls are fraternal and 18months. I didnt know what i wanted to do at first but found that it just required less thought in the morning if I put them in matching/coordinating outfits. that way i only have to find 1. I just fold 2 matching outfits up together in the drawer. Im sure the day will come when they want more say in what they wear, but right now they dont care.
When it comes to individuallity, my girls couldnt be much more different from eachother. No matter what they wear. So no need to add one more item for mommy guilt.
You may want to keep in mind that they might not be the same size. my girls often where different size clothes and shoes.
As for toys: my girls have fought over 1 ball or doll or animal even if there is another identical one. So buying 2 of everything wont necessarily help anyway.

Well theres my 2 cents. good luck.
May 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anexia View Post
As for toys: my girls have fought over 1 ball or doll or animal even if there is another identical one. So buying 2 of everything wont necessarily help anyway.
My kids do that too. I take both toys, hide them behind my back, mix them up and give them back. Most of the time they have no clue which one they were fighting over and just take the new one I give them.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

May 5th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Super Mommy
I have never had a problem with my boys fighting over toys other than what normally occurs between siblings. I didn't see the point in buying identical toys. It seemed like a waste of money to me. People have bought them identical toys for birthdays and holidays, but they rarely play with them at the same time.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
May 6th, 2012, 09:04 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dressed them alike in the beginning, because it was new and fun and we had a lot of the same outfits from other people. Now that they're getting bigger and growing out of their newborn stuff I'm not buying very many double outfits. I want them to both be individuals, and clothes for two babies can be expensive. I could be getting another different outfit for them to wear rather than buying the same thing. So I'll do it sometimes, but not a lot. As for toys, if they're anything like my older two they'll argue no matter how many of the same toy we have.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

May 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM
thanks for the advice!
May 9th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran
One thing we did that worked well was that I had some headbands and hats embroidered with their names. That way I didnt spend so much time telling people which baby was which.
May 9th, 2012, 08:14 AM
thats a cute idea.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search