23 weeks pregnant with constant contractions but no cervix dilation!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rae-of-Sunshine

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Last week at 22 and a half weeks pregnant with twins, I noticed contractions every 5 minutes all day long. I called the OB doctor and he had me immediately go up to Labor and Delivery to monitor the contractions. The contractions were measuring like a woman in labor, so he checked my cervix, totally closed. Gave me a terb shot which stopped the contractions for only about 1/2 hour and hooked me up to an IV and pumped me full of fluids. After 6 hours, he checked my cervix again, still no dilation, so he sent me home and told me to take it easy and drink lots of fluids. The past 8 days, I've continued to have these contractions. Every 5 minutes. Sometimes every 2 minutes! I've been into Labor and Delivery several times, even spent the night, and was referred to a high risk OB. My cervix has been checked about 10 times in the last 8 days, absolutely no dilation! I've been placed on bed rest and will be monitored every week. I'm only 23 and a half weeks pregnant and am so nervous about these! So far I'm not dilating, but I'm just not sure if I will or not! I've heard that some woman have an irritable uterus and just contract throughout their whole pregnancies and never dialte. But, I also hear that these contractions CAN lead to dilation and preterm labor. Anybody have these benign contractions frequently and never have any dilation???
October 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! I am no help with personel experience, because I didn't feel a single contraction until they induced me. I can tell you though that there are several women in my local moms of multiples group that had contractions for a long time. At least one I know of had a pump (I think it was terbutaline) at home with her. You are right though that contractions COULD have have an effect on your cervix though, so I think you are doing great by contuining to have it monitored by your OB, and if they are getting a high risk doc involved even better. Just take it as easy as you can, rest, drink lots of water, and listen to your docs. You are way better off to assume the worst and get checked anytime you have concerns.
owensmom likes this.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
October 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a pump with terbutaline in it. I was having a lot of contractions and my OB was not comfortable with that. My insurance wasn't keen on paying for it at first, but after a call from her nurse it was approved. It costs insurance practically nothing for the pump and meds compared to 2 babies in the NICU. My cervix was a little short, but not super worrisome when I went on the pump. My Dr was very proactive and wanted to make sure the contractions didn't turn into something else. The terb made me feel like i was drinking way too much caffeine at first, but within a day or two I felt totally normal on it. My contractions picked up at night no matter what I did/didn't do or how much water I drank. So, my dose of terb was made higher at night than during the day. Good luck! I agree that it's best to be proactive and get checked rather than ignore what is going on and hope for the best.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am just stopping by here. I haven't been here in a while, but I know ALL about preterm labour.

With my singleton (my first) I went into preterm labour at 23 weeks. I had a short cervix (half the length of a normal cervix), but no dilation. I went into labour/had contractions like that daily. I was on moderate bed rest with her for 3 months. I went in weekly almost immediately after that for a NST one week, and an US the next. I had her 2 days shy of her due date. Oh, and at 34 weeks I was 3cm dilated and stayed that way until I went into labour. I was also diagnosed with irritable uterus. STAY HYDRATED!!

Fast forward to the twins...even more crazy...kind of.

With my twins:

Diagnosed wit a short cervix again. I have come to realize that this is just how my cervix is naturally (it is normally 4cm, mine is about 2cm). considering that thing is keeping in not one but 2 babies, that is pretty insane.

Other than that, everything was easy breezy until 30 weeks. I went into full blown labour at 30 weeks. In Canada, they do not do anything to stop labour other than bed rest. We don't have any of the drugs they use in the US. After 8 hours of full blown contractions (off the charts) every 2-4min, they just stopped. I didn't progress, no dilation, they just stopped.

33 weeks, went into full blown labour again. This time I was dilated already to about 2cm, and effacing. Again, that far into a pregnancy, my short cervix, etc that was to be expected. After about 8 hours...it just stopped again. I had contractions after I left the hospital this time, but I never went back

I went for my doctor's appointment a few days later, and I was 5cm dilated with bulging waters. I wasn't told to go on bed rest, or reduce anything I was doing.

36 weeks, I went into labour again. I was still pre-term technically, so they didn't help it along or anything. I stayed in the hospital for almost a week, got released for on a Friday, and went back on the Monday at 37 weeks 2 days to get induced. The only reason I got induced was because I had cholestasis, which can be harmful to the babies if kept inside longer than that.

All they had to do was break my water and it started. I don't think I would have lasted much longer if they didn't induce me, but with my luck I would have gone to 40 weeks because my body is a stubborn wench. 6 hours later I was holding my babies. I pushed 20 min for the first baby, they had to put pitocin on to contract my uterus down, and then delivered baby B 6 minutes later. At 37 weeks they were both over 6lbs, healthy, and we went home 36 hours later.

I just want to give you some hope that contractions don't always mean baby is coming. Definitely go in when they are like that because you just never know, and things can turn quickly. The best place to be in that circumstance is at the hospital.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

- oh and cut out any and all stress that you can in your life. I had a pretty volatile relationship with my oldest's dad, and every time we would fight, I would start getting the contractions again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search