Can your diet help plan a twin pregnancy?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I posted in the wrong board before....!

I'm in my mid thirties and I am seriously looking after my fertility and my health to prepare for a healthy pregnancy when the time is right.

I've always dreamed about being a mother from a young girl, and I vowed that when I meet the right guy, it will happen. I also dreamed about having twins. I would love either gender and I really hope for a twin pregnancy with God's will. I think, in a way, i feel comforted by the fact that my first pregnancy will happen when I'm a little older and mature enough to handle this. I know there are so many things to think about with a multiple pregnancy, and how I would be considered "high-risk" but I just think focusing on the positive side of things is the healthiest way to approach this. So on to my question...

I will be happy with whatever pregnancy I'll have. Just to feel my baby grow inside me and then hold it in my arms is my biggest dream. However, even if I were to entertain the idea of having twins, aside from my age (mid-30s), could my diet help things along?

I've been reading a lot on this over the internet, and I've read over and over that a diet full of whole milk, dairy, sweet potato/yams, bananas, foods high with folic acid, taking folic acid supplements, eating avocados, oranges/juice, combined with being over 35, that this has played a big role in having a twin pregnancy.

Is this true? Can your diet help you conceive twins? I'd love any pregnancy, like I said, but I really would love to experience a twin pregnancy. I do not wish to go under fertility treatments to achieve this - I think it's too risky - but if this can happen naturally, I would love to welcome it with open arms.
November 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why would fertility treatments to have twins be riskier than a diet to help conceive twins? The end result of a twin pregnancy would be the same. We have many happy twin stories here, but we also have some that did not turn out the way anyone would want. Twin pregnancies are hard on most women and aren't as safe for the babies. I love having twins and wouldn't trade that at all, but want to make sure you realize that a twin pregnancy is nothing like a single pregnancy. Thankfully I was blessed with luck and a great dr who was able to help when I started having issues.

So as far as diet, there are studies that show diets high in certain foods tend to "cause" twins more often. Usually that's when a whole society is eating something ad it's main food source. Adding those foods could possibly help a woman ovulate 2 eggs that might result in fraternal twins. Personally, I think most people would have to do a huge diet overhaul and even then it probably wouldn't have a high enough effect to make a big difference. I personally think the diet weeds to be a lifestyle for a while so the body is used to it.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

December 3rd, 2012, 06:57 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Yep, ditto the above. There have been links between food and twin pregnancies, but it usually isn't isolated to individuals who changed their diet and achieved a twin pregnancy. I don't think there is harm in trying to eat more of those foods you mentioned, but I'm not sure you are significantly helping your odds.

Twins are a huge blessing, but be careful what you wish for My singleton pregnancy was a breeze, but with my twins I was on partial bedrest for 8 weeks and complete bedrest for 8 more weeks. The twins were born at 33 weeks, and spent 4 weeks in the NICU. This had nothing to do with the fact that I used fertility treatments, nor did my age play a factor (I'm only 31). It is great that you want to focus on the positive side of things, just please be aware that no matter how old/mature you are or how much you prepare, there is nothing in the world that can prepare you to watch your babies struggle to breathe because they were born early.

Good luck...I hope you achieve your dream of Motherhood!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 19th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I ate sweet potatoes like a fiend for about 3 months before I conceived my twins. It wasn't on purpose, I just love them lol. I ate them practically every day.I dont know if that's why I had twins, butiI am the first in my FAM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search