Hello new here! Question about transporting twins?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rae-of-Sunshine

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Twin Mama
Hello ladies, I'm new to this board but not to JM. I am expecting fraternal twins in July and find myself getting overwhelmed by almost everything. LOL However I am specifically overwhelmed trying to figure out the infant seat/stroller/how to transport them early on situation. I want to know what you all found to be a good way to transport them?

I found the Double Snap n' Go stroller that fits 2 infant seats, the new version with stadium setup. But how long is that going to really last? Even if I did 2 Graco SnugRide's that max at 22lbs how many months will I get, 3 maybe? IDK If you used this, how maneuverable is it, I've read good and bad.

Can infant twins go into a regular double stroller, jogger or tandem?

January 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We have the Graco Snugride 30s for our twins. They were 7 weeks early, and now at 3 months adjusted, they are 12lbs9oz and 14lbs1oz...they'll be in those seats for a while. If we just had the twins I'd absolutely get the double snap-n-go...it is so lightweight and easy to use. We had the single one for our oldest, and it is the way to go when transporting twins in the infant seats. Because we also have a toddler, we bought the Graco Ready2Grow, which can accept 2 infant seats or one seat and an older child. I'm not a big fan of that stroller...it is huge, awkward, and not very maneuverable.

Yes, newborns can go in a regular double stroller, provided that the stroller seats lay flat or very nearly flat and they have 5-point harnesses. We have the Baby Jogger City Mini Double stroller and the twins did great in it at 5 weeks (they were in the NICU for a month, so we didn't get to use it right away). Most strollers will tell you if they lay flat for newborns or not. The City Mini is a side-by-side, but it is narrow enough to fit through standard doorways, and we LOVE it. It is pricey, but worth every penny. I can seriously push it with one finger

I guess I prefer having something that the infant seats strap into...it makes it really easy and flexible for what you need. You can just take the seats into a restaurant to save space (there isn't always room to park a double stroller without being in the way), and it is super easy to get the kids out of the car when it is cold/raining/etc. outside. If you had to put them directly into a stroller every time, you'd be soaking wet by the time you loaded them up!

We have 3 kids and have had 6 strollers Sometimes it takes trial-and-error to figure out what works the best (at least that's what I tell myself!).

ETA: I don't know if you plan to babywear or not, but that is always another option. I always have our toddler and one baby in the stroller and wear the other baby. For your situation, you could wear one baby and do a single snap-n-go or other stroller. Lots of options

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Last edited by KMH; January 12th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
January 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Twin Mama
Thank you for the reply! I have been looking at this stuff all day and my brain hurts. Having never had a child and no friends with children is hard. I cna only use the web for input. I will definitely add the City Mini into the pool. I'm glad to hear someone with experience moving a doublewide around as so many are just HUGE and unable to go anywhere with doors. Also hearing you were able to use it with newborns is fantastic.

I actually started leaning towards the City Select because it can be a staggered tandem and has dual infant seat capabilities. It's MASSIVELY expensive but after the initial purchase I think it could last until they outgrow a stroller entirely. It can also be a single stroller so if I wanted to baby wear one I could.

I planned to baby wear before I knew it was twins, baby wearing with twins is possible but not exactly simple.

January 12th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Super Mommy
I tried a number of different double strollers with my twins and always went back to the Graco Duoglider. It fits two infant seats and works well once they are out of the infant seats. Plus, it seemed to hold up the best.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
January 12th, 2013, 06:18 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I have a lot of friends with the City Select, and they love it! For great deals, always check out Albeebaby.com. They often have specials, sell last year's models at a discount, and seem to have the best prices most of the time for car seats, strollers, and other baby gear.

Melissa & DH

January 12th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Twin Mama
I have an addendum to my question, other than DR visits, in those first few months before they can support their head ect how often did you go out with them on long stroller rides in infant seats? I'm starting to wonder if I will even be leaving the house for more than the DR with both of them in infant seats. If thats the case DH will be with me so... gah so much to consider and think about. I've spent all day on this and have nothing to show and nothing decided!

January 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm sure that depends on each family, but for us the answer is "very rarely." Other than dr appts, we have used the 2 seats on the stroller less than 5 times. It is tough with 3 under 3, and I'm terrified of RSV and the flu We use the City Mini much more often to go on walks in our neighborhood.

Melissa & DH

January 13th, 2013, 08:35 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have the Chico key fit 30's and the double snap and go. I would not do anything differently. Definitely would get the double snap and go again!

Is there a multiples club or twins club in your area? We got ours for free from a lady who was done with her snap & go...

We only decided on the Chico key fit 30 seats because we had bought one when we had DD1....we bought a 2nd one.

My twins are now 6mo old & 19lbs each (EBF no solids yet) and we use the snap & go and car seats every day still.

Our other stroller is a double BOB I leave in the garage set up to go for jogs whole DD1 rides her tricycle.

I haven't figured out a plan for the car stroller once the babies outgrow the snap & go...
January 13th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have the Graco Duoglider also and love it! It snappe the two infant car seats into it very easily, can be folded up with one hand, manuevers easily, and is still easy to use now that the kids are almost 20 months.

To answer your follow on question about how long they fit in the infant seats - we had the Graco Snugride 35s and the kids were in those until almost a year. They outgrew the seat on height before they did on weight. I loved the infant seats though and kept them in there as long as possible. It was so nice if they fell asleep when we were out to be able to get them in and out at stops without waking them, or to just bring them in the house and let them finish a nap in the seat.

We left the house all the time with them as infants, and I really recommend you do too (provided they are healthy of course!). Ours came home from the hospital 2 1/2 days after they were born and their first trip out of the house was @ 5 days. Now, they stayed in their carriers when we were out and didn't get passed around to people, but getting out kept us sane. Also, I think they are MUCH easier to take out at that age when they are sleeping so much of the time than as they get older. We actually went out to dinner still in the first few months (and that tapered off by the time they were 5-6 months). Having said that, the first month or so I didn't do much driving because I wasn't getting much sleep. Any trips we took out were with DH, because he was the designated sleeper at night so that he could be the designated driver during the day. That worked for us though because he is a SAHD and I have 9 weeks off.

... Another thought for you. I know you said you were having fraternal twins, but they may be identical. I just say that, because I had a tech try to say because mine were di/di they had to be fraternal (which they are incidentally), but about 25% of identical twins are di/di also. I have friends locally that thought theirs were fraternal too, because they had used IVF and transplanted two embryos and were di/di, but they turned out to be identical. Unless you know gender already (which I was guessing you didn't at 13 weeks, but I could be wrong), it could go either way ... just to prepare you
KMH likes this.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
February 18th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Super Mommy
I used a Graco Duoglider with 2 Graco car seats when my twins were little. I loved it. The stroller is kind of heavy, but it was pretty easy to maneuver and easy to use with the car seats.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
February 19th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello...I have frat twins too who were born July '11. I used the snap and go for 8mths. I recommended checking kijiji. I highly recommend that stroller the first few months. It is totally worth the $. I found mine for $50 on kijiji. When they got older I used a britax bready and combi sport double.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search