What do you need two of?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelz88
  • 2 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran
The idea of twins is starting to become more real to me and now I'm trying to figure out what we actually need two of and what we can just do one of.

Obviously we will need two car seats and we'll want two cribs.

In terms of infant bedding - what have you guys done? Did you have them both in one pack and play? Did you just have them in their cribs? Did you have two bassinets?

Swings? Bouncy seats? Maybe one of each? High chairs?

What else???

Thanks!
Ingrid
April 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Super Mommy
With the bedding I just bought two similar bedding sets in different colours (blue and red)

I didnt use the pack and play until they were older and had to do something (laundry dishes etc) but it was just a basic playpen, nothing fancy.

Never had bassinets for them but in the early months I would put them both in the same crib (its a no-no but they seems to sleep longer when I did this)

I had one swing, one vibrating chair, one excersaucer, and one jolly jumper. It may have been easier with two but I simply did not have the space.

Two high chairs was something I had, it helped alot.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
April 11th, 2013, 10:17 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Yes to the two car seats, obviously. Two cribs/mattresses are also a necessity, but you can get away with one for the first 3-4 months. We had one crib in our master, and one baby slept with me and one slept in the crib (we switched every night). If you prefer not to bedshare, I'd put another crib/bassinet/pack-n-play in there for the other baby. We just now put them in their nursery (each in a crib) and they have the same bedding (Dr. Seuss gender neutral).

To me, 2 high chairs are a must. You could get by with one and switch off, but for me (we just started solids) it is far easier to feed them both at the same time and then just do one massive clean-up We also eat supper as a family every night, and the twins started joining us at about 2 months...we like including them in that way.

Everything else just depends on the babies. I would start with one of the big things (swing, bouncy seat, jumperoo, Boppy etc.) and then just see what they like. 2 swings was a MUST for us because they both loved them, but we could easily do with only one Bumbo and Jumperoo. They both hated the bouncy seat.

If you'll be traveling, you might want 2 pack-n-plays for them to sleep in/play in (I don't put babies on hotel room floors because that grosses me out ). Like the PP said, we got cheap Gracos from Walmart...they are lighter and easier and we didn't want anything fussy.

Hopefully that helps?!
MIL2lissy8 and shana1979 like this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Last edited by KMH; April 11th, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
April 11th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely depends on the babies. We had a crib in our room and one in their room at first. They shared the one in our room for almost 6 months at night and napped in the one in their room. Around 6 months we moved the one from our room into their room. We had two bouncy seats, high chairs, and bumbos. We borrowed a bumbo and bought one. I would suggest only getting one of most things that aren't necessities until you know if your kids love them. I had one bopee (sp?) pillow, swing, jumper, exersaucer, play mat, and bath seat. I bathed them individually until they could sit on their own, so we didn't need two seats.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 12th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran
Thanks, ladies! Makes it hard to know what to register for if you're not sure what the babies will like! Perhaps we can register for two swings and then just not put one together until we decide they both like it (if we even get things off our registry!)

Do you think two newborns could sleep in one pack and play in our bedroom. I'm not really sure I want a full size crib in our bedroom, but could do that if needed. Or just keep them both in their bedroom which is very close to the master. Just can't decide how much of an issue it would be to go get them from the other room... Guess we could always change our mind later on that one!
April 12th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran
Thanks, ladies! Makes it hard to know what to register for if you're not sure what the babies will like! Perhaps we can register for two swings and then just not put one together until we decide they both like it (if we even get things off our registry!)

Do you think two newborns could sleep in one pack and play in our bedroom. I'm not really sure I want a full size crib in our bedroom, but could do that if needed. Or just keep them both in their bedroom which is very close to the master. Just can't decide how much of an issue it would be to go get them from the other room... Guess we could always change our mind later on that one!
April 13th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For swings, you might want to register for one big and one travel. Two of my babies liked the big one and two liked the portable. It was nice having the option for the babies preference. All of mine liked hanging out in the bouncer and they all loved the exersaucer! A play gym mat is wonderful! I got one for my third and both of my boys loved it! I'd dangle tons of toys from it! It was nice as it adapted to the kids ability. Nice for tummy time that all my kids universally hated! I'd rotate my baby from one thing to the next. I imagine I'll be rotating two from activity to activity after the newborn stage.

April 16th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can definitely fit two into one PNP in your room as newborns as long as they are at the bottom of the PNP. I don't know what the weight limit is for the sleeper part of the PNP you can add onto the top. And for some reason I can't think of what that is called right now. I got the twin PNP and sometimes feel like i would have been better off with two smaller PNPs. The twin one has the basinet (that's what it's called) part that you can put two kids in. The weight limit on it isn't super high though and my kids wanted to be next to each other, so we pretty much never used it. We travel a lot and the girls slept together in that one PNP until probably around 2. I'm not sure how that would work for kids who are average or big for their age. Having 2 PNP would cost the same as the twin one, unless you got gently used ones. It's probably harder to find a used twin one.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another option for sleeping if your space is limited is mini cribs. They are built just like regular cribs and are just as sturdy but the mattress is the size of a pack and play (20X40). We opted for two of those for them to sleep in since two regular size cribs would have dominated their room and not left space for a changing table and chair. I was a little worried about how soon the kids would outgrow them, but at 23 months they still fit fine. They will probably need to switch out in another 3-4months, but by then they will be ready for big kid beds.
We had one pack and play that I was planning to use when they were in the front room an I neeed a place to put them down, but they both hated it so we never used it (except to sleep in a few nights in a hotel). Once they started crawling we set up an area for them with the baby fences and that was our safe spot for them until they were walking.
As for the other stuff I like the recommendation of getting one at a time or keeping one in a box until you see if you need it. We did buy two swings, but we got them both from consignment sales. We never used true high chairs. When they were first eating solids, fed them in bumbo chairs, then when they outgrew those we moved to the fisher price space saver high chair/booster seats.

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search