Book recommendation for muiltiples?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By Rae-of-Sunshine

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Did anyone read any really good books about being pg with multiples? I love the internet, but sometimes I want to read an actual book. With every pg we read my pg week by week book with the kids and they love it! I'd love a multiples book to see what to expect carrying two!

April 13th, 2013, 08:59 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
This was my favorite medical/pregnancy info book: Amazon.com: When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy, 3rd Edition (9780061803079): Barbara Luke, Tamara Eberlein: Books

And this was my favorite book about having twins...she covers serious topics but with a sense of humor: Amazon.com: Ready or Not Here We Come!: The Real Experts' Guide to the First Year With Twins (9780974699028): Elizabeth Lyons: Books

It is also worthwhile to consider reading up on having preemies/NICU babies. I read Dr. Sears' book (The Premature Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Premature Baby from Birth to Age One (Sears Parenting Library): William Sears, Robert Sears, James Sears, Martha Sears: 9780316738224: Amazon.com: Books) and when I found myself living in the hospital for 4 weeks with 33-weekers, it made the whole thing so much less overwhelming. Not to say that you will have preemies/NICU babies, but I liked knowing what to expect. Because I had a little bit of knowledge, I was able to ask better questions and it was less scary than if I had gone in there with no info.
LABs likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 13th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! I think that is the only dr sears book I don't own! All of my previous children have been full term and while I hope to get these babies there as well, there is always the fear of them coming early. I just hope my body can handle this!!! I've always carried small visually, I'm extra long waisted with birthing hips. I hope that there is room for two!

April 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a big reader also, and one of the first things I did when I found out we were expecting two was go pick up some books on it. I knew I had written them up before, so I went back and found the post to copy from. Ok .. here are the books I have:

Twinspiration - Probably one of my favorites, because it is pretty down to earth advice. She does cover a lot of basic baby stuff too, which was great for me as a first time mom, but you might find unneccesary. She puts a multiples spin on it though, and has random little "Dad" perspective boxes in it also (presumably written by her husband), which I would read to my husband. I like also that she had a little in the back about when they get older. It wasn't much, but got me thinking about some of that.

Mothering Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins of More - I found this one to be the hardest read of them. Just not as grab your attention interesting, but it did pack a lot of great info in it, especially on bf'ing if you are planning to breastfeed. To me it spent a lot of time talking about the NICU and issues/problems with babies. That is probably not a bad thing to prepare someone in case, but be prepared also for your twins not to have any issues. Most books seem to focus more on the problems and don't prepare a mom for taking home two healthy babies. But, still, there was good info in here.

Juggling Twins - This was my least favorite of them. She had all these ideas for ways to get "stuff" that I would never do. And if I remember right harped on and on and on about setting up your "help" schedule early. I guess that is good advice if you have help around, but DH and I have no family around and did it fine on our own. She served to do nothing but worry me early on about not having all the things she "suggested" This is the book I can't put my hands on right now, but if I remember right this is the one that did have a decent suggestion list of what you needed to buy now and what could wait until later. As well as how much you really needed with two.

I hope that helps, and again .. congrats!
LABs likes this.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
April 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
whoops ... double post

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Last edited by Rae-of-Sunshine; April 16th, 2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: double post
April 16th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do plan to bf. A twin mom in my neighborhood is going to give me a bfing book and twin nursing pillow. She ended up pumping for her girls. I'm not sure what the book is yet. I've exclusively bf my others, so I plan to for twins as well. I'm sure it will take practice to juggle. I'm a huge over producer and had no issues with my huge son. He grew out of a size every 3 weeks. It was crazy! He was beyond fat too. 20 lbs at four months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search