Two heartbeats heard at Dr appt...twins or echo???

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By LABs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh and I went to the dr yesterday for my 16 week appt. This is my third pregnancy and it feels like the worst by far. I am 33, so I'm older and also weigh more at pre-pregnancy weight, 10 lbs more than dd(5yr old) and 20 lbs heavier than ds(2yr old). My first tri-mester was miserable, I'm starting to feel better, but had a lot of m/s(no vomiting), and pain or uncomfortableness usually felt much later on. I feel a lot bigger, but I'm not gaining much if only a couple lbs total, but I can't eat much. Dr didn't say anything yesterday about my measurements, but for not gaining much if any, I look big IMO. Anyways, on to my question, at my 12 wk appt, dr had a hard time finding the heartbeat, but finally found it on my lower left abdomen and it was faint. Same with this week, but after we heard it, she still moved the Doppler around and found a stronger heartbeat on the right side of my belly probably 5-6 inches away. She moved it back to the other one and it was still there and faint then she kinda smirked and I asked her if that was two babies. She said she thought it was just one and a boy, but she didn't sound or look confident. Hubby and I were laughing and crying cuz we didn't know what to think. I have an US scheduled for the 16th of may. Oh, and I'm not sure what the hr's were on either side, but I know it wasn't my hb and she didn't say what they were either. Just awkward and weird. I have two weeks to wonder tho!! Has anyone else had an experience like this and if so what was the outcome? I've had two kids already and never heard an echo of a hb. Also, there are identical twins in dh family and non-fraternal on my side. ???????help please!!

May 2nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With how far along you are, I'd be at a gender identification U/S place today! Patience with baby things is not my strength. I only lasted till 8 weeks to get an elective to confirm my twins. OBs here don't see you until 12 weeks unless there is a complication. My hunch didn't count, so off to the mall we went for an elective! Once they confirmed twins, my OB wanted a real confirmation and they found a SCH that we are monitoring and I was put on restrictions. I don't see my OB until next week for the first time.

Is the U/S in two weeks your anatomy scan or an additional scan?
MIL2lissy8 likes this.

May 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Anatomy. Last appt at twelve weeks, she searched all over and we barely heard the hb in my lower left abdomen and didn't pick it up anywhere else, nor has this ever happened to me before, it's either distinguishable or not, has been my experience. And in no way was it mine bc I know mine is slower by far. I can wait for two weeks, but it's driving me crazy.

May 2nd, 2013, 03:25 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Hmmm, that is definitely interesting! Our twins were confirmed via ultrasound at 6w4d, and from then on no one even tried to find heartbeats with a doppler...they always got out the u/s machine. You'll have to let us know!

Identical twins are not hereditary, so no worries there. Also, twins come from the Mom's side...nothing on the DH's side contributes to twins. So maybe that gives you less to worry about?!?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

May 2nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
I am 16 wks along and appt was yesterday. Twins on my side are my great uncles children, they were a boy and girl. Idk if that's in my favor or not. I get confused about it.

May 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They would have come from the uncles wife's side. You don't have the genetic marker for twins. Neither do I though! There haven't been twins in my side for over 200 yrs! I don't know what what type I'm having. They are in their own sacks, so who knows what type I have. My local friend has fraternal twins with no family history of them. It just happened! Identical can just happen by a fluke of nature!

May 2nd, 2013, 04:51 PM
That's what I was thinking...I'm just thinking that if there are two in there it's bc I'm 33 and it's my 3rd pregnancy, but I guess we will see in a couple of weeks.

May 3rd, 2013, 03:36 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what to tell you. Like the other my OB found the twins at my first appt 8w and a couple days. He always does a dating u/s at the first appt, so I never had anyone use a doppler either. He always used the u/s after that to make sure he was checking both hb's.

I didn't have any history of twins either though that anyone in my family can remember, and mine are even fraternal, so ou never know.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
May 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i am a 'twin grandsons' gramma. i know for me, i could not stand waiting -- i'd be like the above post-er that would go to a u/s place today!!!!! wishing you well and oh btw, my sister in law had three daughters, got pregnant for the 4th time and had twins but never found out till 3 weeks before full term. they did fo 40 weeks, and wer born vaginally and were very different weights-- the boys was like 8+ and the girl was like 6+. so it could happen!!!! i will be watching to hear your outcome.

~~terre~~
May 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Thank you guys for your posts. She did schedule my U/S but said they are scheduling out a ways, so that is why I didn't cause a fuss, but It's just different this time. I feel like the stretching and hip hurting is far worse now than it's ever been, then to be super exhausted when I'm at work(I sit most the time anyhow) and want to pass out mid day. I want to know like yesterday, but I am trying to be patient and talking myself out of being pg with twins. Also, I've only had 3 appt's so far 8 wks, she didn't even try to hear the hb, 12 weeks, where she found the hb on my lower left side, but barely found it after searching all over, then 16 wks (2 days ago) where the faint one on my left side was found and then a strong one on my mid right side. I've been wearing maternity clothes since about 9-10 wks and look like i'm 6 months preggo, but have only gained maybe a lb or two. When I get hungry, I'm starved, but I can't eat much at all ( which is never been the case before) also, ever since being preggo this time, I've had this weird uncomfortable feeling like you feel when you are about 8-9 months and the baby feels like it's sitting in your throat...I have that all the time, it's subsiding some, but it's horrible. I even knew when I implanted b/c I was extremely sick all day that day and have never been the nauseous type or m/s type, but this time it's been bad. These are all hunches, I know, but it's just different than my first two, by far!! Lord, help me be patient!!

May 3rd, 2013, 05:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
One of the first things for me that was off was a very full heavy feeling. It felt like right before birth when the baby drops and the head is right there. I kept trying to hold up a baby when I stood up, but I didn't have a baby belly. I did gain like 6" in my lower abs by 5 weeks. I was almost instantly out of my loose jeans! I'm sure part of that was it being a fifth pg! I always show early in the first trimester and small in the third.
allysmomma likes this.

May 4th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABs View Post
One of the first things for me that was off was a very full heavy feeling. It felt like right before birth when the baby drops and the head is right there. I kept trying to hold up a baby when I stood up, but I didn't have a baby belly. I did gain like 6" in my lower abs by 5 weeks. I was almost instantly out of my loose jeans! I'm sure part of that was it being a fifth pg! I always show early in the first trimester and small in the third.
OMG...that is exactly how I have felt since early early on!!! You just described it to a T!!!! That's what I've noticed right off, too, that's been so different from my other two pregnancies. And...my hips/round ligament pain. I had absolutely not one bit of that with my second, with my first of course cuz your body needs to make room, but with this one...holy cow!!! If I sit most of the day at work, my hips don't hurt when I sleep, but I'm really hurting from sitting a lot. if I'm walking around a lot during the day, then my hips hurt when I sleep, but I'm not miserable during the day!! It's ridonkulous, I know, but this pregancy is a far cry difference from the first two for sure!! lol I'll make it, but the 17th sure is a long ways off to find out!!

Oh and did I mention, I had a positive test show up 4 days before AF was supposed to arrive, but it wasn't super strong tho.

Last edited by allysmomma; May 4th, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
May 4th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had to buy a maternity pillow very early. I couldn't sleep as my hips hurt so bad. I've never been like that with my other babies. Towards the third trimester, but hurting that bad at 6 weeks? I was in pretty good shape before this pg. I'm 35 now, but it wasn't that long since I had my last!

May 5th, 2013, 08:44 PM
My hips started hurting really bad about a month ago, but have let up some in the last few days. Ugh, really it's both sides, I get no relief. I'm 33 now, but my son just turned two so it hasn't been that long for me since I was pg either. I'll be 34 when the baby(s) are born.

May 17th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Had my u/s yesterday and there is only one baby in there!! but I am happy that all is good and it's healthy as far as I know!! I was just really, really hoping for twins!! But I'm not too dissappointed, only cuz I know that it'll be easier on us, but I still wanted to have a reason to be a SAHM!!! Thank you for all your support and comments!!!

May 17th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you are disappointed! I'm glad your baby is healthy and doing well! I hope you find a way to stay home with your baby! The idea of the cost for twins in daycare is insanely huge!
allysmomma likes this.

May 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
We will have 2 in daycare, plus my oldest before and after school, so It's still going to be quite a bit, but I'm sure, as always, we will make it!! Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search