General twin pregnancy questions?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Leahhh
  • 1 Post By DownNotOut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Hello! I'm Leah, I'm 35, and these babies will be my 5th and 6th. (Yikes!) These are my 1st twins, and I know nothing. I have twin uncles but they don't know much about their own delivery or their mom's pregnancy, as can be expected lol. Since they've began sticking that lovely "advanced maternal age" on all of my USs and paperwork, I'm becoming even more concerned than normal. Of course, I had to start googling, and I've been seeing all the horror stories and things that can go wrong. So, I'm asking for some BTDT experience. How old were you? What was your pregnancy like? How did you deliver? How many weeks were you? Were there complications......etc? Anything else you can offer a paranoid mommy? Thank you!
angelinal09 likes this.
June 30th, 2014, 02:44 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, I'll help with what I can. I'm expecting #9 and #10 and they are my first set of twins (well, that have made it this far, I miscarried twins about 10 years ago). I'm 28 weeks right now and 34 years old, so I'm just below what's considered advanced maternal age. So far, everything's gone well in my pregnancy. All tests have come back "normal" and babies growth is going well so far. The best advice I can give you is to stay away from Google, lol. (Which has been a very difficult thing for me to do myself!)

Congrats!!
July 1st, 2014, 08:16 AM
Veteran
I have 8 month old fraternal girls and was 34 when they were born. They were my first though, so can't comment on that part. I was induced at 36 weeks, 4 days mostly because I was crazy uncomfortable but also because my blood pressure was starting to get kinda crazy. The girls were born at 5 pounds, 7 ounces and 5 pounds, 3 ounces. They were both perfectly healthy and spent no time in the NICU, etc.

I was totally paranoid that I would deliver too early (because that's what you hear about all the time), but I know lots of people who have not had any problem carrying to term (or very close to it.) Personally, I thought it was good to be prepared and in the know, so I read up on all the stories about the NICU, etc, just in case. It did freak me out sometimes, but ultimately I just felt more empowered because I knew what to expect.

I also switched to a high risk OB even though I didn't have any big risk factors. It helped me feel like I had someone in my corner who REALLY knew what he was doing and has delivered countless twins, triplets, and more!

I was able to deliver both vaginally, in large part due to my doctor and couldn't be happier with my experience.

Hang in there! Stuff can happen, but in all likelihood you'll have a totally uneventful pregnancy and a great delivery!
angelinal09 likes this.
July 4th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Super Mommy
I was 24 when I had my twins. I was on insulin for gestational diabetes and was considered high risk. I was on bedrest from 24 weeks. I went in to pre term labor at 30 weeks but they were able to stop it. I ended up having a emergency c-section at 35 weeks. My boys were, amazingly, both healthy and, although they were small, they spent no time in the nicu.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
July 6th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The twins were my second pregnancy. I was 25 years old.

I started having regular contractions and started a med at 23 weeks. I couldn't do work part time which was recommended. I went into PreTerm Labor at 27, 29, and 32 weeks. Each time they stopped it (admitted inpatient 3 times) and bed rest started at 27 weeks.

I delivered my girls vaginally at 35 weeks 5 days. Baby A was 5 lbs 4 oz. baby B was 5 lbs 13 oz. Neither baby needed NICU time and they went home with me after the standard 48 hours in the hospital.
July 8th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I was 32 and delivered at 371/2 weeks. The doctor wouldn't have let me go any longer than 38 weeks, so luckily they came before I had to be induced! I didn't have any complications. We conceived naturally (no fertility treatments). My pregnancy was pretty easy. I had a lot of discomfort in the third trimester-leg pain and the world's tiniest stomach. I was constantly hungry, but I didn't have room to hold much in my tummy around the girls. Sitting was uncomfortable because it squashed my lungs and I had trouble breathing, so I always had to sit in a reclined position-even while eating and driving! I delivered both vaginally, they were 5 lbs 11 ounces and 5 lbs 4 ounces. No problems during delivery. I read all the horror stories too and none of them happened to me. My best advice is breathe easy, don't stress. Everything has a good chance of going well. If not, the doctors can handle it. Plenty of twins are born every week and they turn out fine.Congratulations, hugs, and best wishes!
Working mommy and mother to Logan (11), Madeline and Emily (18-month twins), and baby #4 due November 2014.
www.rushedmommy.com
July 11th, 2014, 04:59 PM
womanintheshoe's Avatar Veteran
I was 37 when I had my b/g twins. My pregnancy was about as perfect as could be except for outrageous weight gain. I had significant "pitting" from swelling on my legs that freaked me out. I wasn't worried about preterm labor/delivery as I quite arrogantly thought my singleton, full-term pregnancies were indication that I would go full-term with twins. I wouldn't even let myself read about premature births or prepare myself mentally for it. Big, big, big mistake. My water broke at 31 weeks and the doctors couldn't stop labor. I should have at least read up on what can happen as far as c/section, NICU, etc. because I was completely overwhelmed.

Personally, I wish I'd talked more with moms of twins and learned more. Even having the twins home was far, far more difficult than I'd ever imagined it would be. It felt like having my first baby all over again...only there were two babies.

Always missing 13 precious little ones I never got to hold due to chemical pregnancies, blighted ova, vanishing twins and ectopic.

♥ Loving the beautiful life I thought I never wanted. ♥

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search