Infant vs Convertible Car Seats

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I'm in a bit of a predicament. I am really trying to save money on all the areas possible & have come across the convertible car seats in my shopping & think this would be a great way to have a car seat that will last us at least 18 mths. I know if I get an infant car seat, we will not be removing them from the car either way b/c of the hassle it is. Besides, can you imagine 1 or 2 people carrying 3 infant car seats? Since I am going to get a stroller that does not require the car seat, I thought maybe my best bet is to go w/ the convertible version rather than spend the money on the infant car seat & then have to go back & get a convertible one. I need opinions, especially from you BTDT mommies! Here is the car seats I am looking at.

Convertibles
Evenflo Triumph Advance
Evenflo Triumph Advance 2

Infant
*I like this one b/c it goes from 4 to 30lbs so it is almost the same as the convertibles.
Chicco KeyFit 30

December 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personaly am happy with my infant carseats.... a few nights Zander slept in his carseat cause he refused to sleep lol... Also you have to be able to get them in the car... from house to car at about 2 months the wiggling begins... I can no longer hold both twins at the same time..
December 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to smurftattoo Send a message via Yahoo to smurftattoo
I loved having the infant carseats. It was very convenient moving them from the car to the stroller (snapping the carseats in) without waking them at all. We switched to a convertible one once they started getting to heavy to carry (about 7 months or so, I believe) in the infant seats. We used the convertible rear-facing until just recently when we moved the girls forward facing.

Our convertible goes from 5 to 100 lbs so we are set until they don't need a car seat anymore.

Now I have two infant car seats for baby bean!
Charlotte Elizabeth 8lbs 6oz February 4, 2008

December 27th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Quote:
I loved having the infant carseats. It was very convenient moving them from the car to the stroller (snapping the carseats in) without waking them at all. We switched to a convertible one once they started getting to heavy to carry (about 7 months or so, I believe) in the infant seats. We used the convertible rear-facing until just recently when we moved the girls forward facing.

Our convertible goes from 5 to 100 lbs so we are set until they don't need a car seat anymore.

Now I have two infant car seats for baby bean![/b]

What type of convertible seat did you get that goes up to 100 lbs? I found one that goes up to 80.

December 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Melz's Avatar Team Edward
I would totally go for the infant car seats!! They are so fast to take in and out of the car. Not too sure where your from (I didnt look sorry) But if you get rain its going to take a few mintues to get each baby into the car seat as to an infant carseat you can snap them in, in seconds. Im not sure how fast triplets gain weight but Im sure that they will be in them for a good 7 months.. And maybe ask Santa next christmas for the Big Baby car seats...

Good Luck its a hard decision. Hope you find one thats right for you!!

December 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
kwilder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kwilder
Quote:
Ok, I'm in a bit of a predicament. I am really trying to save money on all the areas possible & have come across the convertible car seats in my shopping & think this would be a great way to have a car seat that will last us at least 18 mths. I know if I get an infant car seat, we will not be removing them from the car either way b/c of the hassle it is. Besides, can you imagine 1 or 2 people carrying 3 infant car seats? Since I am going to get a stroller that does not require the car seat, I thought maybe my best bet is to go w/ the convertible version rather than spend the money on the infant car seat & then have to go back & get a convertible one. I need opinions, especially from you BTDT mommies! Here is the car seats I am looking at.

Convertibles
Evenflo Triumph Advance
Evenflo Triumph Advance 2

Infant
*I like this one b/c it goes from 4 to 30lbs so it is almost the same as the convertibles.
Chicco KeyFit 30[/b]
This is my first experience with having multiples too(twins). However, we have decided to go ahead with the infant seats knowing that they will probably last us at least 7-8 months. I got great use out of the infant seats when my 3 boys were infants. I don't know what stroller you have chosen but alot of them don't necc. require infant car seats but will accomodate them. In planning for us, I just felt like it would be much easier to handle both babies and three older ones without having to buckle 5 children in car seats.

Also, we have used the alpha-omega car seats with the boys once they have outgrown the "infant car seat". The alpha-omega is an infant seat and transitions to a front facing car seat, then a booster.

Good luck.

www.sevenwilders.blogspot.com
December 28th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to smurftattoo Send a message via Yahoo to smurftattoo
The ones I got are Saftey 1st. However they are only available in Canada. They are ladybugs!

Charlotte Elizabeth 8lbs 6oz February 4, 2008

December 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM
kclefeb78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Ok, I'm in a bit of a predicament. I am really trying to save money on all the areas possible & have come across the convertible car seats.

I know if I get an infant car seat, we will not be removing them from the car either way b/c of the hassle it is. Besides, can you imagine 1 or 2 people carrying 3 infant car seats?[/b]
I thought the same way you did. I thought if I bought the convert car seats that that would be two less car seats we would have to buy and there was NO way I was going to be carrying two carriers everywhere. I WAS DEAD WRONG!!! We bought the convert car seats and when the twins were born early we found out we HAD TO have infant car seats because they would NEVER pass the car seat test and be released from the NICU to come home. So a few days before Vaughan was released we had to scurry around and find infant car seats. I was to say the least peeved b/c we had two perfectly good brand new convert car seats at home.

Anyways, we have the carriers now and I don't know how we would have lived without them! I HIGHLY suggest getting them. One person can carry two. I am a small person and I am able to carry both carriers from the car to the house. Also, when the baby is sleeping or you have to go to someone's house you can leave them sitting in the carrier. You don't want to be sitting at you in-laws, a friend's house, or a restaurant trying to eat while holding 3 babies b/c you have no where you can set them down.

There are other places to save money... but don't try and save it by not getting infant carriers... TRUST ME

Good luck!!!

December 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I would have gone crazy without my infant seats. It is SO much easier to move a sleeping baby from car to stroller while keeping them in their car seats. Also, when we did go out to places like restaurants, etc. where we couldn't bring our stroller the infant seats were a necessity. I have to say the Evenflo Triumph is a great seat! We had one with my oldest DS and the ONLY problem we had was that it was too short but they have since made the seats taller to fix that problem. The other great thing about them is that they recline almost as much as the infant seats which is great for tiny infants. Also, if your triplets are born early, the hospital might not let you use a convertible seat. It just depends on the hospital. I know with Kendric, who was 5 lbs. 2 oz., they said he needed to be in an infant seat since it did recline more than a convertible seat. You might want to check on that. Sorry if that response wasn't much help.
December 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Hi Astrid, I've been wondering how I would carry 3 infant car seats too. This sure is a hard decision!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

December 30th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Quote:
The ones I got are Saftey 1st. However they are only available in Canada. They are ladybugs!

[/b]
I know I said it before, when you first posted pics of those seats, but those are SO darn cute!
December 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with all the other ladies. Don't skip out on the infant car seats. It would be so much of a hassle to try to carry the kiddos to the car and buckle them in one at a time. SO much easier to get them ready in the house and carry the seats out one by one.

I tried the convertable carseat with Kayla when she was a newborn, and it didn't last more than a week. I can't imagine trying to do it with preemies (or small birthweight babies) because the seat is so big, it doesn't fit them properly and their heads flop around and the seat doesn't recline as well.

December 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Can&#39;tWait2BAMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey Astrid!! I agree with the other ladies..my infant car seats have been a life saver and I don't know what I would do without them!

December 31st, 2007, 04:08 PM
Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am going to agree with all the ladies above. I loved the infant carseats. I don't know about 1 I bet much easier but with 2 it was easy to transport the girls here and there. our carseats fit it to our stroller and that made it easier. I don't know anything about 3 seat stroller for infants but if there was one that the infant seat fit or just the stroller frame it will be a good deal and little hardship getting them in and out.
When the girls were around 12 months we moved them to a conv carseat but kept them rear facing until they were 20 lbs. In the infant ones if the girls were sleeping we would just leave them in it and sleep, just bring the carseat inside.

good luck with what you chose!

Cheryl-
January 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Thank you all for your feedback! I think we are going to go w/ the infant car seats. Unfortunately, nothing for triplets is cheap, especially the stroller. There are no regular strollers that will accomodate. I have found 1 that is called the Triple Decker that I am planning on purchasing at some point after we hit 24 weeks.

January 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Astrid.. I asked about triple strollers with carseat combos on another board that I'm on and here is the reply I got.. ( I just cut and pasted it)

I had a hard time deciding with stroller/car seats also. I finally went with the Triple Decker stroller. A web search for double or triple decker will take you to the website. It fits only a select few infant car seats (be sure to notice two stroller models are available for different brand car seats) and will later adapt to toddlers by using bicycle seats with a few adjustments for a fit. I love my tripledecker. It is easy to fold, steer and put the seats in. I had to get used to the idea of it not being cute like all the singleton cooshy strollers but once I did it has made my life easy.

I am able to grocery shop with this stroller. I push the kids and pull the cart. It only requires one-hand operation.

I also bought a Baby Trend triplet stroller which I've only used once or twice because it does not fit car seats (which I knew but did not realize how difficult that is for infants). It is also extremely difficult to maneuver. I'm not happy with it at this stage.

Hope this helps!

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
January 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Huh, I might have to check that triple stroller out. We went through 2 of the Baby Trend triple strollers and they were just plain junk!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search