DNA Testing

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Melz's Avatar Team Edward
Just wondering how many of you have had the DNA testing done to see if your twins were fraternal or identical. I would love to find out if they are the same sex but DH said no way its too much money..

If you have had it done do you mind sharing how much it costs??

January 12th, 2008, 05:59 AM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They told me at the ultrasound I never thought about the DNA I believe there are alot of risk that go with it. But I guess my u/s it was easy to see them Fraternal lol..
January 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
They did some tests on the placenta after my boys were born and said they were 99% sure they are identical. I didn't see the need for further testing.
January 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
cindymat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
They did some tests on the placenta after my boys were born and said they were 99% sure they are identical. I didn't see the need for further testing.[/b]

Same with me-only fraternal!

Quote:
They did some tests on the placenta after my boys were born and said they were 99% sure they are identical. I didn't see the need for further testing.[/b]

Same with me-only fraternal!

January 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't do DNA testing, we just assumed that they are fraternal since we have B/G twins..

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
January 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to smurftattoo Send a message via Yahoo to smurftattoo
Early u/s showed only one placenta and a very thin membrane between sacs. Plus, the two sacs were in one giant sac (chorion). Placenta examination after delivery comfirmed they are ID.

(that and pictures don't lie, they are very ID! )
Charlotte Elizabeth 8lbs 6oz February 4, 2008

January 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
Quote:
Early u/s showed only one placenta and a very thin membrane between sacs. Plus, the two sacs were in one giant sac (chorion). Placenta examination after delivery comfirmed they are ID.

(that and pictures don't lie, they are very ID! )[/b]
Same with us! The ultrasounds always showed a thin membrane between sacs with one bigger sac. That was the first clue we had that they were ID.
January 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have never been told anything for sure, other than the U/S tech who said she was pretty sure they were fraternal. I've half considered the DNA testing, as lately they've looked identical again. Thankfully their personalities are obvious, and they answer to their own names, so that clarifies things for me if dh doesn't dress them the way I do. Actually my mom dressed them backwards on me, and I didn't realized for half an hour!
January 14th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Veteran
I have struggled with this same problem since the day they were born. DH has always thought they were fraternal and I think they are ID. Before they were born, our OB thought for sure they had one placenta, but when inspected it turned out there were two.

My whole family thought they were ID at first, and now they say they look different, but I think that may be because they are around them so much they see the differences. Someone said to me that if the mother gets them mixed up, they are probably ID. I went a whole night with them mixed up, so...

I don't know if we will have the testing done but I'd like to have it done eventually if we still have this problem when they are a year old.

My web page

January 14th, 2008, 05:17 AM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
they were pretty sure mine were identical b/c they were in teh same sac with a thin membrane separating them. but I still did the dna test. I did it through proactive genetics, they sent the stuff in the mail. I think it cost $90 then. that was 8 years ago though. they do look different to me and to people that see them everyday but for other people they look 100% identical.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches
January 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We have never been told anything for sure, other than the U/S tech who said she was pretty sure they were fraternal. I've half considered the DNA testing, as lately they've looked identical again. Thankfully their personalities are obvious, and they answer to their own names, so that clarifies things for me if dh doesn't dress them the way I do. Actually my mom dressed them backwards on me, and I didn't realized for half an hour![/b]

HAHa DH dressed mine swaped on me one night... They were 3 weeks old.. I fed them and changed 1 of their diapers not until I got to the other one. I was TIRED lol I know its had as heck to get confused b/g lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search