A question you've heard a million times but...

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies,

My name is Liz. I'm expecting my second baby in September of 2008. DH and I are excited as this pregnancy wasn't planned and we had to do IUI with clomid to get pregnant with our son, AJ. AJ was actually initially a twin but the twin stopped developing at 7 weeks and my body reabsorbed it (I had two eggs go that month thanks to the clomid - we knew that from the u/s prior to O).

Anyway, here is my question - which I'm sure you have all heard a million times.

I had my hCG drawn at 5 weeks and 3 days. My doctor called me a few days ago to give me the report. My progesterone is in the 50's (which is great because I needed supplements when I was pregnant with AJ). My hCG was in the 17,000's! At 5 weeks 3 days! The OB said that was high and wants me to come in for a u/s on 1/21 to see if there is more than one baby in here.

I'm nervous because I'm a full time Ph.D. student and therefore, am not working right now. Finances are tight! DH is nervous about adding one more peanut and I haven't told him about a twin possibility yet - don't want to tell him unless there are definitely two in there because he will just get even more nervous about finances.

Anyway, I know an hCG level of 17,000 is high at 5 weeks 3 days. And I know you really have no way of knowing by hCG alone and that only the u/s will tell but what do you think? What were your hCG levels if you knew them? This is literally all I can think about and I have to wait another week before my u/s.

Thanks,
Liz

February, 2005
August, 2005
January 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to smurftattoo Send a message via Yahoo to smurftattoo
My HCG levels were low with my twin pregnancy and high with my current pregnancy. The only real way to know if you are having twins is to have an u/s. HCG levels can be an indicator, but are not always reliable.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Charlotte Elizabeth 8lbs 6oz February 4, 2008

January 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
mamma2petunia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to mamma2petunia Send a message via AIM to mamma2petunia Send a message via Yahoo to mamma2petunia
I have NO idea of what my levels were when I got preggo . . . I just know the morning sickness was KILLER!! I had 3 m/c before the twin pregnancy, so I had an ultrasound a 8 weeks and the doc "thought" the extra sac that she saw was just the "yolk" sac . . . by two more weeks, I had spotted a little and was fearing another m/c, so they sent me for a full u/s . . . sure enough, there were two babies in there!! At 10 weeks the twins were confirmed and at 20 weeks they told me they were a boy and a girl! They were right, too!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">Thanks Jolene for my beautiful siggie!!</div></span>
January 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BFP @ 10 DP0 on 11-20-06
Beta @ 12 DPO ~ 451
Beta @ 14 DPO ~ 955 (dt 44.35 hrs )
6wks 5 days U/S 2 heartbeats!

check out betabase.info. It has a lot of HCG information and numbers.. GoodLuck!

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
January 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I agree with the other ladies, there's really no way to know without the u/s. Unless you have other pgcys to compare to, that could give you a better idea. I've been pregnant 5 times, and with 4 pgcys (which were singlets) I had low numbers (low end of normal & ended in miscarriage). This time, my numbers were on the high end of the normal range, so I suspected I had more than one on board even though my doctors didn't. Turned out I had triplets!

So let's see... I never got a 5 week beta but I think I would have been around 27,000 if I doubled every day (see beta values in siggy below). And they usually only double every 2-3 days, so that number might be high. You might have more than one for sure! Good luck & congrats!!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

January 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I don't remember my exact numbers, but I know at 5 weeks my numbers were in the 7,000 range.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search