Twin speech delays

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was breifly reading and it seems a few have them?

My boys have been diagonsed with twin speech delay because they speak they just talk to eachother. We called for evaluation and its out of town so I am unavailable to do it. No one to pick up my other kids and try to do speech therpy with them. Our in town starts at age 3 so they will go then.. until then we are just using picture books and trying make them speak more. Ash is coming along faster than Quinn. Quinn grunts alot and mmmmm's for things. But does say words and such when we are not requesting. Our of the blue he will speak. The other day he yelled up the stairs " Ashton come on we go"

My oldest son is/was speech delayed too.

Just wondering if its more common with twins. Alot if not all in my playgroup here are speaking full sentences now.
January 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, if it makes you feel better, there is NO way either of my boys have achieved a phrase as complex as "Ashton, come on we go"! I was excited as they picked up three new words this week - "Dora", "memmo" (Elmo), and "baby", which means "baby" and "bailey" for my cousin's dd.
January 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Can'tWait2BAMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
One of my parenting books said that twins may take longer to talk because they don't get the one on one attention that singletons do, but I'm not sure how true that is. I think all kiddies just move at their own pace and I'm sure its nothing to be concerned about!

January 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my girls have a twin to twin lang and won't really talk to us. We are currently getting them into speech ther.

They won't ask for things just point and take our hands and take us to where they want us to go.
January 16th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
They won't ask for things just point and take our hands and take us to where they want us to go.[/b]

January 17th, 2008, 06:58 AM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
My boys are starting speech therapy soon. They talk A LOT, but we can't understand at least 75% of it! They seem to understand each other, but when they are trying to talk to us it is impossible to understand.
January 18th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Thank you for all your responses. I can't tell you how relieved I am ( dh too ) to hear that it seems to be a twin thing. I do realize they will probably have to have speech therpy but dh and I were starting to think it was because of us. Especially since we already had a child with speech delay. However it seems to be only one gender. Our girls have no speech issues.

Ashton sung along with the Hi ho hi ho song from Snow white. It was so cute, during the whistling part he was so this really high pitched woo sound LOL
January 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I am a special ed teacher with a specialization in early childhood. I found this topic interesting, I have studied this but never thought about it applying to my kids (I am expecting twins in June). Yes, twins often are diagnosed with speech delay, and speech problems are more common to boys than to girls (not to say that there aren't girls with speech issues, just less of them). The twin speech delay is mostly just due to the fact that they don't need to talk to understand each other - they have someone who understands them better than anyone else in the world! When a child came to my pre-k class with speech issues, he/she was first checked out by the speech therapist and a doctor for any physical abnormailties that may effect speech - being tounge tied, muscle issues, pallate shape, etc... Then we work on creating a need to speak. Not allowing them to point or lead the adult to get what they want. We often used food to create the need - withhold food until a verbalization is made (if the child is not speaking at all, we start with grunts, if they are speaking some we wait for a please or more please or I want more please depending on the level of the child). Notresponding to the pointing and/or leading can cause more tantrums, but if you walk away when the tantrum starts, the child will start to find another way to get what they want -eventually they will speak. Always ask the child to use words to tell you what he or she wants. Also, for twins (or when an older child takes over for the younger one when it comes to speaking) we would seperate them. The seperation was not forever, just for the short time periods when we were working on speech. This way we took away the feeling of not needing to communicate with others. Working one on one with twins always worked better than when parents insisted that they be worked with together. For many twins, they simply outgrow the speech issues as they get older and begin to want to socialize with other children - but the twin speak often does not completely go away, often adult twins still use some form of "twin speak" when talking to just each other! Hope this is helpful!

January 30th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Great info thank you.

I do actually tell the twins to" use your words"

I am very guilty of letting them lead me to what they want, but once we get there I ask them to tell me what they want. But do give in.

We do seperate twin time, we always have. The twins have alot of play and sleep time together so we don't worry about them being seperate. Also they are very different children so they like quiet time at different times.
January 30th, 2008, 07:27 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My twins had a different speech problem. Because they both want to be first to tell me something they rush to speak and often talk over each other. This led to my ds stuttering....his brain was trying to get stuff out faster than his mouth could handle. Now we just remind them to take turns and remind ds to slow down. We had them in joint therapy for a couple of months to help us realize what was causing the stuttering and how to deal with it. Since I started enforcing the we each take turns talking the stuttering has gotten less.
January 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
mighttyjomomma
I took my twins for an evaluation when they were 17 months, and Kaleigh (B) was ahead physically and right on target speech-wise. Mianna (A) was behind both physically and speech wise, but the speech was not severe enough to require any kind of therapy. We did however have to do some occupational therapy, as she didn't start walking until close to 19 months (we aren't doing it anymore, she's caught up).

They are now 28 months, and I am unsure whether I want to do another evaluation or what.. My oldest DD is/was speech delayed and goes to school full time and has speech therapy twice a week. She gets a lot of her sounds mixed up, but she also speaks two languages so it's suspected that that's got something to do with it.

Also, it's been suggested to me that since the three of my girls are so close in age (they are only 20 months apart) that they've developed some sort of 'language' amongst themselves.. and the twins see no need to speak since oldest DD will do most of the talking for them. It's so frustrating!

Kaleigh is starting to be a lot better about this, but I'm only getting 1-2 word phrases out of her when I'm lucky, and it's still pretty tough to understand. Mianna makes no attempt and pretty much has no interest. Every now and then she'll "add in her two cents" to a conversation but it sounds mostly gibberish. Our doctor has discussed us taking her to a child psychologist - but I'm not getting into that.

If anything, they will probably be going into the same program big sister is in.

Anyway, hope that somewhat answers your question!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search