some questions

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
It seems that I have come to this forum full of questions. I should properly introduce myself first. I am 29, DH is 27 and we are expecting our first and second child in June. I was diagnosed with PCOS last march and went through fertility treatments in order to concieve. I currently work as a special education teacher for 3rd and 4th grade, but my specilization was in early childhood and I worked in a pre-k for several years. DH and I also own our own business - a summer seasonal gift shop in a tourist town. We thought we were busy before - now with twins on the way we will be really busy! But we are sooo excited and happy, I couldn't care less about being busy Now for my questions - my family is exstatic to be welcomeing twins, but since no one has experience with multiples everyone is giving me advice for what they think it will be like and keep telling me I am crazy to think otherwise!

Q1. Is anyone using cloth diapers with multiples? I really want to use them and am looking into ones that grow with the children so I don't have to get different sizes. How many would I need for changing two babies? I am thinking of getting 50 - too many or not enough?

Q2. Has anyone or is anyone breastfeeding twins? Did you have to supplement? Can you feed both at the same time? Family and friends keep telling me I'll have to supplement.

Q3. Is it possible to have a natural birth with twins? I am scared of a c-section and would rather a natural birth, but again I keep getting told that twins means deffinate c-section.

January 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WELCOME!! I am VERY excited for you

Q1. Is anyone using cloth diapers with multiples?sorry I am not using cloth

Q2. Has anyone or is anyone breastfeeding twins? Did you have to supplement? I am unable to BF due to my thyroid meds going into the milk... I do know that there are ladies on here that do bf without supplementing

Q3. Is it possible to have a natural birth with twins? Its VERY possible sweetie! In some cases 1 comes natural and then a c/s has happened for the 2nd.. I personaly didnt want the risk of both ONLY because baby b was breach ALOT during my pregnancy.. and I needed to heal fast to be a SAHM for all 4 with DH driving semi over the road.. I did have a c/s and honestly am happy with it

Hope I helped some if any lol
January 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
sonnetjie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Q1. Is anyone using cloth diapers with multiples? I am not using cloth diapers, so I don't have much advise on this.

Q2. Has anyone or is anyone breastfeeding twins? Did you have to supplement? I tried breastfeeding my twins and I couldn't breastfeed them exclusively. The thing is that you have to be able to rest and eat enough and I couldn't, especially when my mom left and I was left with all 4 kids on my own. But it can be done. I started supplementing at 3 weeks because they weren't gaining as they should.

Q3. Is it possible to have a natural birth with twins? Twins definitely doesn't mean that you will have to have a c-section. As with singletons the position of the babies are very important. In my case the leading twin was breech so it a normal birth wasn't an option.

]
January 22nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Can'tWait2BAMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Q1. Is anyone using cloth diapers with multiples? I really want to use them and am looking into ones that grow with the children so I don't have to get different sizes. How many would I need for changing two babies? I am thinking of getting 50 - too many or not enough?

I also don't use cloth but I do know that with disposables I go through about 20 a day. Not sure if cloth last longer but if not, and you only have 50..you will definitly spend alot of time in the laundry room!

Q2. Has anyone or is anyone breastfeeding twins? Did you have to supplement? Can you feed both at the same time? Family and friends keep telling me I'll have to supplement.

I am breasfeeding exclusively! I breastfeed both at the same time (its the easiest way possible, in my opinion) and it has had its ups and downs but I love it, and I wouldn't change a thing. If you decide to breastfeed and you have ANY questions or need ANY advice just let me know!

Q3. Is it possible to have a natural birth with twins? I am scared of a c-section and would rather a natural birth, but again I keep getting told that twins means deffinate c-section.
I too had a c-section but I do know that vaginal births are an option in a lot of cases!

Good luck!

January 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Lcoots's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ive not ever done cloth, but im sure it can be done. I wouldnt want more laundry at this point.lol I would think 50 would be good for 2-3 days but you would have to wash frequently..

bf, i started off bf only, but with the girls having jaundice i was told to supplement, I do bf and supplement now. I normally bf first then give formula. I do both, I can nurse them seperately or together. it is much faster to nurse together but they arent on the same schedule so it doesnt happen all that often. BF can be done, but you really have to be careful you hae to eat and drink TONS to keep your supply up. Not to mention the exhaustion..

I wanted a vaginal birth sooo bad. My dr even said i could try if baby a was in position, but when it came down to it she wasnt every going to let me do a vaginal. i was really upset and angry. But ya know what important is just getting the babies here safe and sound. The twins were my first section and i was scared to death, but ya know it wasnt nearly as bad as i thought. It wasnt what i wanted but the end result is the same. You just need to find a dr that is willing to let you try...And not lie to you about it..lol

GL and Congrats...you can do anythin you set your mind to. So if you want to cloth diaper, then you can do it, will it be hard, maybe. same with bf...
January 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Veteran
1. I don't use cloth diapers. I decided before I had the babies that it would be too much work for me to wash all those diapers on top of all the other laundry I had to do.

2. I wanted so bad to breastfeed exclusively. But my babies were born at 30 weeks and stayed in the NICU for 2 months. During that time, they were fed by IV, then by tubes, and finally got to try bottle/breastfeeding. They were so small when they first breastfed that they couldn't suck hard enough and I had to use a nipple shield. Then, when I brought them home, they were just learning to BF and couldn't suck enough to eat their full share. So I ended up having to BF, then supplement with a bottle, and then pump (to keep my supply up). I found out there just wasn't enough time in the day to do it. I finally gave up and had to bottle feed, but it hasn't been bad at all.

3. Yes, I almost had a natural birth, even though they were both under 3 lbs and 10 weeks premature. They both turned head-down at the last minute, so my OB gave me the option of c-section or induced (they had to do something either way because I was bleeding real bad and my water had already broke). I chose to be induced, and had to get an epidural (because my OB said I had to in case of emergency c-section). I got all the way to the pushing stage and ended up having to have an emergency c-section because one of the babies heartbeats went down, stayed down, and paused.

I would say the best way to help yourself have a natural birth is by trying your best not to give birth prematurely. Eat LOTS, drink lots of water, and rest rest rest. You still may have one baby breach, but your chances of having a natural birth are much better if you can go close to term.

BTW, we're still not sure why my water broke at 28 weeks (I was in the hospital for 2 weeks before giving birth), but I think it was because I fell and landed on my belly earlier that week.

My web page

January 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi & aboard! I have met several triplet mommies that have cloth diapered & I am considering doing this once the trips hit 6 mths but not before, just to save time. I am also going to attempt to BF. We'll see how that goes! As for the 3rd question, can't help you there b/c triplets are born almost exclusively via c-section.

January 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
kclefeb78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome!

Q1. Is anyone using cloth diapers with multiples? Sorry, I use disposables. I could not imagine all the laundry cloth diapers would cause. I feel like I am doing a load of baby clothes a day with twins!

Q2. Has anyone or is anyone breastfeeding twins? Did you have to supplement? I never produced My twins had to be formula feed from teh beginning.

Q3. Is it possible to have a natural birth with twins? I am sure it is possible. Talk to your OB and let them know how you feel. Mine were a c-section and I was fine.

January 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I never used cloth with my twins, but I did use them with my oldest for awhile. I just couldn't see washing diapers for 3 kids at once! I used Fuzzi Bunz and I loved them! I think 50 is a good number although you might want to get a few just to try out before you decide if they are the ones you definitely want to use. Especially since there are so many different kinds out there.

Q2. Has anyone or is anyone breastfeeding twins? Did you have to supplement? Can you feed both at the same time? Family and friends keep telling me I'll have to supplement. I breastfed my twins for the first 3 months.
I had to supplement just while they were in the hospital since they were so small. After that they didn't need any formula. Your body adjusts to make enough milk for both babies. I found it easier to breastfeed both at once. It wasn't very hard after I got the hang of it although I usually had to have someone hand me the second baby after I got the first one latched on. I had an Anna nursing pillow that was great for nursing twins!

If I hadn't of had a c-section prior to getting pregnant with the twins I would have tried for a natural birth. Having twins does not necessarily mean you will need a c-section although you do have to keep in mind that if you deliver the first baby naturally there is always the chance that baby B could be breech and need to be delivered via c-section. I had to have an emergency c-section because my OB was concerned about a possible uterine rupture as I was having pain at the site of my previous c-section incision. If your doc says no to a natural delivery, I would consider finding a new doc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search