What size car is best for twins?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I own a Prius... it's less than a year old and I love it, but I'm not sure if it will work with twins. The "trunk" space is fairly large - I can fit a Duoglider in the back without folding down either seat - but I bought the wrong Duoglider (both seats don't recline) so I'm thinking we need a bigger car to accommodate the new stroller. Not to mention all the other stuff you need to lug around with babies!

Do you think we could get away with a Suburu? I sort of want AWD or 4WD (we go to snow country a lot & I hate putting on chains) but this limits our choices. For instance, I'd love a minivan but they don't come in AWD do they?

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have 4 kidos and had a Jeep Wrangler when we found out we were pregnant sold it when we seen it was twins haha

I am still waiting to get my durango tho... So I must have a big car.. Sorry I am no help
February 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Minivans do have 4wd. Some do at least. I believe the Mazda makes one in 4wd and Toyota makes a minivan that's 4wd. I don't know much about the others, but it's a question you can ask the dealers. There are also crossovers. They are like SUVs but with a third row if needed, but they may not have as much room available with the third row up..though some are very roomy like Mazda's crossover/minivan (I've been looking, and I found that the dealer at Mazda did not like calling the Mazda CX-9 a minivan, but it is VERY roomy in that car).

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
February 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I could help you out on this one. I am going to get Todd to put the car seats in to the CRV & see how it works but I don't think that is going to be an option for us. Have you considered a CRV? They have AWD. I love mine! It has WAY more room than you would ever expect!

February 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I test drove a CRV! Those are really pretty. I have a question, did you get the larger or smaller infant car seats? (larger usually fit up to a year) Just curious if the larger seats would fit!

ETA - Eliza, I test drove a Toyota Sienna yesterday. Thanks for the tip, they're gorgeous! But expensive, not sure if I can afford it. I didn't see a 4WD Mazda minivan, though my stepfather has one - he says they discontinued them at one point.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Almost any car will work for twins...I had a honda civic 4 door when the kids were infants. The problem came as they got bigger because I couldn't fit two roundabouts rear facing (the next car seat size up from the infant seat) without both the driver and the passenger basically sitting on the steering wheel. I sold that and bought and Xterra...my dream car...loved that car!! Perfect for the twins....lots of room in the back seat and in the "trunk" plus the rear was at the perfect height to do diaper changes on the go...

I now drive a minivan (odessey) because...oops...number 3 appeared 2 years ago. IF you are thinking about another kids (or not doing anything to prevent the conception of another) I would suggest going straight to the minivan. DH and I bought 3 cars in 5 years....(my original car was a 2 door civic...got preggo...traded for a 4 door....not enough room...got the xterra...got preggo...got the van).
February 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
Honestly, if I only had 2 kids I would have kept my sedan. I had a 2003 Subaru WRX before I had the twins and I really miss it! It was small, but it would have worked. I can see having something like a Mazda 6 or something with 2. Mini-vans use quite a bit more gas than sedans. If that isn't an issue for you then I would go with a small SUV like a Forester or Legacy wagon. I'm a huge fan of Subaru!
February 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Quote:
ETA - Eliza, I test drove a Toyota Sienna yesterday. Thanks for the tip, they're gorgeous! But expensive, not sure if I can afford it. I didn't see a 4WD Mazda minivan, though my stepfather has one - he says they discontinued them at one point. [/b]

Yeah, I know Mazda doesn't have a minivan, but I call it one. Their crossover is HUGE and it feels like a minivan. I can't help but call it that. That's how I found out that the dealer was not at all happy with my calling his beloved crossover a minivan.

I had a Toyota Sienna before they became 4WD. Even then, they were nice! I had hoped at the time we'd start a family then, but our plans didn't exactly go as we had hoped while still in possession of the car. We have a 4Runner now, which is good but I'm hoping to sell it soon. It eats gas like there's no tomorrow! It is a V8 which was a BAD decision at the time. Oh well, now I know why there was such a good deal on them. Great car though! VERY smooth especially for a truck!

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search