Oh its just like having twins....

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok excuse my rant as many might not know me Im an oldtimer from this board

I am so annoyed lately at untwin parents that automatically assume because they have kids close in age (15 months apart, etc) that they claim to know what its like to have twins.

I get this all the time. "oh my kids are 15 months apart so its like I had twins"
Know what is like having twins???/..... having twins!! Nothing else. Having twins is not like having triplets kwim? I would never claim it was.

Taking care of a 1 year old and a newborn is much different than trying to newly BF and adjust to having to newborns.

Another thing.. is and I don't know why this happens to me LOL People with 1, 2, or 3 kids always compare themselves to me. Like they know how hard it is for me to take care of my 5 kids. Now I don't even really complain I just explain I can't do things because of the kids.. and they will say " I have 3 kids and I did it" I feel like saying well bravo to you...

Ok rant over
But I did tell dh I am going to make a shirt that says " the only thing that is like having twins.. is having twins!" Think ppl would be annoyed with me? One can only hope
February 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you market that shirt.... I'll buy it!!!!!

I'm in such a sour mood today, that if someone said that to me today, I'd give them that answer.
February 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
mighttyjomomma
I'd buy it too!!!
February 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
kwilder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kwilder
My twins aren't even here yet- and I'll buy it! I get comments all the time like "You are going to have FIVE children!" As if I can't count to five or haven't thought of that yet.

I also get annoyed with people who make comments on how they would love to have to be on bed rest.

www.sevenwilders.blogspot.com
February 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
sonnetjie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hehehe... I also thought having kids close in age is "almost" like having twins. And after actually having twins, it isn't anywhere near like actually having twins!

]
February 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll buy it!

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
February 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
Quote:
My twins aren't even here yet- and I'll buy it! I get comments all the time like "You are going to have FIVE children!" As if I can't count to five or haven't thought of that yet.

I also get annoyed with people who make comments on how they would love to have to be on bed rest.[/b]
Oh yeah! I got that ALL the time! I wanted to tell them, "Yeah, go on bedrest for 11 weeks then tell me how much you like it!" I loved only being able to get up to go to the bathroom. I loved having pains in parts of my body I didn't know existed b/c I was so big and couldn't move. I loved not being able to leave the house for 11 weeks. And I absolutely LOVED not being able to hold or take care of my 1.5 year old during that time! (insert sarcasm here)

As far as the not knowing what it is like to have twins unless you have twins, I totally agree! My oldest was 13 months old when I got pregnant with the twins. I can tell you with 100% certainty that having a 21 month old and having a newborn is a world away from having a 21 month old and 2 newborns! Some people just don't think before they speak!
February 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would SOOO buy that shirt!! I have to give them some credit yes a 1 year old and a newborn can be hard... But done compare the 2!!

and for the bed rest Yeah bed rest ROCKS not knowing if the next time you roll over your water may break... or spending the time worrying sick about your twins...

And I agree with the "wow you have 4 kids" REALLY?? awww heck darnit I wasnt paying attention...
February 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay I love you guys!! Wasn't sure of the response I would get.

Bedrest LOL oh yeah its a fricking vacation. Luckily mine was limited bedrest not full. I was on it at 8 weeks till 12 weeks because of the spotting. Then I was on it from 28 weeks till 37.5. Also the end helped that it was summer and I didn't have to leave to take my kids to school.
But.. having contractions every time I walked 10 feet was like the most amazing vacation I ever had!!! /end sarcasm.

Also I wanted to add I adore having twins. Watching them interact is amazing. They have twins speak and are so cute together. If one gets hurt the other rushs to his brother side to comfort. adoreable!!! But Im finding the pregnancy as difficult as it was.. was the easy part LOL
February 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I haven't had my twins yet, but I love the idea of that shirt! Sometimes people really just don't think and it's soooo annoying!!!

February 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hugs...I have friends who tell me that....I just want them to know that you don't know the stress of having twins until you spend months trying to figure out what to do about sending two the kindergarten or worrying about what you will do if one succeeds and the other doesn't....

I will say that although it doesn't get easier it does get different. Each stage brings different challenges to overcome......
February 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
lilly_&_hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amen!

My twins are only 3 weeks old and I've heard that at least 5 times already. I know I'll hear it 100 more times!!
February 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM
gregorystwinsisters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to gregorystwinsisters Send a message via Yahoo to gregorystwinsisters
You know its funny you should mention this. I snapped at a mom at playgroup the other day. She has two kids 11mos apart and said its like having twins. I flipped out and said no its not. It is sooooooooooo different to have two kids the exact same age.

Ugh I hate when I hear that statement.
February 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Veteran
Hi, just a lurker here. I wanted to say that you guys are such an inspiration to me. I don't have twins but I do have two boys 23 months apart and my oldest is a rounder. When the boys were little I just kept saying to myself if they can do it I can do it. Just wanted to let you guys know that mothers of multiples truly are amazing to me and I don't think I could ever do it myself.
February 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Hi, just a lurker here. I wanted to say that you guys are such an inspiration to me. I don't have twins but I do have two boys 23 months apart and my oldest is a rounder. When the boys were little I just kept saying to myself if they can do it I can do it. Just wanted to let you guys know that mothers of multiples truly are amazing to me and I don't think I could ever do it myself.[/b]
That's really sweet! These ladies inspire me too!

February 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
He he... I love the T-shirt idea! I don't have any kids yet so I have no idea what it's like, but my SIL tells me all the time her 18-month-apart kids "are like having twins". Maybe when they get a bit older it's similar, but at the beginning, I don't see how you can compare.

I also hate when my MIL and my husband both compare themselves to me... my MIL had 10 kids, none twins however. Whenever I talk about how tired or how sick I am, I get "It's not that bad, look at Julie (my MIL), she had 10 kids and never complained!" Well SHE never carried four at once either!!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Quote:
I also hate when my MIL and my husband both compare themselves to me... my MIL had 10 kids, none twins however. Whenever I talk about how tired or how sick I am, I get "It's not that bad, look at Julie (my MIL), she had 10 kids and never complained!" Well SHE never carried four at once either!![/b]
That would REALLY piss me off!!!! I don't know how you don't just snap when you're told that!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search