BTDT Mommies

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Melz's Avatar Team Edward
Anything special that us expecting moms NEED???

besides the 2 carseats and things like that... Anything that you couldnt live without when you had yours????

February 17th, 2008, 12:30 AM
sonnetjie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm, I'll have to have a good think. We got these seat things and it is the thing we have been using most. Multiple times each day. When they were little, they slept in them and as we stopped breastfeeding I could put them in the seats and bottlefeed both at the same time.

Here is a picture. You can see it sticking out on the right.

I also had a twin breastfeeding cushion, which is great for breastfeeding both at the same time when they are little. As they get older they kick against the couch and it isn't so useful anymore. I don't have a picture of that though...

I'll think some more...

]
February 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I am soooo glad to see this thread - I was about to start it! DH and I started our registry yesterday and I was so overwhelmed by what we would or wouldn't need. I have done a ton of babysitting/nannying, but never for multiples to know which things are better to have two of verses one of. Here are some things I wasn't sure if I'd need one or two of - any advice would help!

swings
exersaucers
johnny jumpers
playpens
boppy pillows (would one made for twins be better?)
bouncy seats

also....
How many...
bottles
crib sheets
changing pad covers
sheet savers
cloth diapers
recieving blankets
bibs

Thanks for the help!

February 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The bouncer was the number one thing I could not live without (other than the carseat and twin stroller). The kids would only mellow in the bouncer and later when they started food I actually layed a towel down over the bouncer...plopped them down naked but for a diaper and began spooning it in.

If you have a two story house a pack n play is also priceless. Its a place to set up a diaper changing station and a place to put them to sleep.

The regular sized boppy was great....I didn't bf them for long but I used the boppy to prop one in while I feed them. Try to picture this...one on my lap facing out using my left hand to insert the bottle, one in the boppy facing me on my right side using my right hand to insert that bottle.

Two cribs. My twins slept in the same crib for about 4 months ... but then they moved to much to stay together. I used waterproof fabric (found at joanns) to line the bottom of the crib over the crib sheet so that if there was an accident I didn't have to change the sheets and if there were two accidents in the same night I just moved them to the other crib.

Things I didn't use

The swing...my kids totally didn't dig it and it took up too much room. With my last I tried one of the swings that moved in all directions...still didn't matter...she could not hang with it.

Bottle warmer...kids will drink formula at room temperature. Do not get them in the habit of having it warm! No really! With the twins we would warm formula (in the microwave...lid off, much swirling after a couple of seconds plus testing) and we would find ourselves running around trying to warm it while we were out....with the baby we did room temp (after discussing it with the ped.- believe it or not you can do it) and it made our lives so much easier!

Fancy baby clothes...really for those first 3 months you are lucky if your boy doesn't end up in a pink onsie (it happened...dh wasn't happy but oh well).

I'm sure there is more but really the first 3 months have been blanked out of my brain. I think its an evolution thing that allowed me to get preggo agian only 2 years later.
February 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I am soooo glad to see this thread - I was about to start it! DH and I started our registry yesterday and I was so overwhelmed by what we would or wouldn't need. I have done a ton of babysitting/nannying, but never for multiples to know which things are better to have two of verses one of. Here are some things I wasn't sure if I'd need one or two of - any advice would help!

swings -see my post...my kids hated the thing
exersaucers - one or two but not until the babies are about 3 months and can support their heads
johnny jumpers - looks cool...don't they have one that has toys like a exersaucer....I don't have door jams downstairs so I never tried one
playpens - one...see my post below. When we would travel they both slept in the same one for about 6 mos...mostly used it around the house
boppy pillows (would one made for twins be better?) - 1...I didn't like the twin on...too big for me to get comfortable with it
bouncy seats - 2...these are lifesavers IMO

also....
How many...
bottles - 3 or 4 each...trust me you will want to wash these after the feedings and it only takes a second. I started with the ones with drop in liners...you will want to have one of each of a few different brands to see what your kids like...mine were very bottle picky
crib sheets - 4 if you have 2 cribs and buy the waterproof fabric. I just cut it into squares large enough to cover the bottom of the crib...that way I only washed that fabric and not the crib sheets
changing pad covers - I just used more of that waterproof fabric (cut into rectangles to fit the changing pad).....easy to toss into the washing machine. With the baby I don't think I ever even used the changing table...we would just toss her on the floor and go for it.....
sheet savers - none...just a couple of yards of my magical fabric
cloth diapers - hmmm...my dd was cloth diapered from one to present and I use 5 a day with her...newborns use a lot more...try posting this question at diaperswappers.com....there are a lot of twin moms over there that cd
recieving blankets - 4 or 5....but really steal these from the hospital. The ones they sell are not really big enough to swaddle with....
bibs - none until they start eating regular food....get a bunch of cheap washclothes at target or walmart and use those....the wash clothes are also useful if you have a boy ...you need to cover that weapon at all times because it tends to go off as soon as it feel air

Thanks for the help![/b]
February 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I couldn't live without my 2 bouncy seats with good head support which we used constantly and I really liked the Podee bottles. With a almost 2 year old running around I couldn't always hold both babies to feed them. Those bottles really helped.
February 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
Hmm things I can't live without?
My 2 boppies! The kids HATE the swing and the bouncy. I plop my butt on the middle of the couch, put one baby in each boppy next to me, and feed away! We have about 20 bottles.

We bought a jumperoo and an excersaucer. This way we can switch things up for them when they get bored. We have about 4 crib sheets, but lay them on a fleece blanket so that they don't wake up when we put them down. Dont use a changing table, um, love the bibs, use them all the time for dribbles! (I can't stand stained clothing!)

And I use the swaddlers-they are MUCH MORE effective than trying to hassle with a blanket. And the thin receiving blankets stink. I like the thicker blankets.

Its all personal preference as you can see. You'll figure out what works best for you once they're here and you settle into a routine.

February 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
gregorystwinsisters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to gregorystwinsisters Send a message via Yahoo to gregorystwinsisters
STUFF I COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT

Boppy Pillows (more than one). I had four- two upstairs and two downstairs. I used them for my girls to nap in and it helped me prop them for feeding. I did not breastfeed so I would prop one in a boppy and hold the bottle and hold the other baby and then switch at the next feeding. These were also good when my girls learned how to sit up.

Bouncers- another thing I had a lot of. I had four of them throughout the house. They were very convenient.

Swaddle Blankets- my girls thrived on swaddling so the swaddle blankets made it easy to keep them wrapped tight.

STUFF I HAD AND LOVED
Jumperoo
two exersaucers ( i stuck them in there while I showered)
swing- this was great for Danielle because she was so colicky it helped sooth her.

HOW MANY
I had about 20 bottles. I was totally on my own and I didnt have time to wash bottles all day so I stuck them in the dishwasher and ran the dishwasher each evening.

Oh and two cribs...my girls only slept in the same crib for a couple weeks. They were both fidgety sleepers and it was easier to have them separated. Although now the cribs are pushed next to each other since they like to talk and play with each other at naptime.

I got everything second hand really cheap at a thrift store and some stuff i got free on freecycle.

I think you will just have to play and see. My friend has twin girls too and she did things totally differently than I did.
February 18th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
This is great, I had the same question!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search