car seat question?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2008, 11:28 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I'm trying to decide which car seats to buy. From what I understand there are two types of infant seats - one that fits up to about 5-6 months, and one that fits up to a year (like the Graco SafeSeat).

I had just decided on the larger SafeSeat with a snap-in frame double stroller, when my SIL said I could have her Peg Perego double stroller. The problem is, those only fit the smaller infant seats.

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which is better?

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM
gregorystwinsisters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to gregorystwinsisters Send a message via Yahoo to gregorystwinsisters
Hmm I am not sure which is "better"

I used the Graco Snugrides and had the Graco Duoglider stroller to snap the seats into. The snugrides fit my girls till they were nearly 12mos old. The seats I had go to 29in and 22lbs.

I now have my girls in the Graco Comfortsports. (convertible seats)

February 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
mighttyjomomma
Well, when the kids were babies I always used the Graco Snugriders, which they used probably until they were about 9 or 10 months. Then we made the switch to Safety 1st Intera.. which they are still in. I PROBABLY should have just started out with the Interas, but when twins are sleeping its just so much easier to tote them around in those little Snugriders instead of waking them!

Never heard of this newer one you are talking about though, sorry I'm not much help
February 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my only suggestion is make sure its carrier one... I am SCARED of when the twins are in the other type lol I cant imagine carrying both of them to the car without their carseats
February 18th, 2008, 11:54 AM
gregorystwinsisters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to gregorystwinsisters Send a message via Yahoo to gregorystwinsisters
Quote:
my only suggestion is make sure its carrier one... I am SCARED of when the twins are in the other type lol I cant imagine carrying both of them to the car without their carseats[/b]
Now that my twins are no longer in carriers I do it all the time. You get used to it.... I do have some nice muscles now though!
February 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
mamma2petunia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to mamma2petunia Send a message via AIM to mamma2petunia Send a message via Yahoo to mamma2petunia
Now, keep in mind that my twins are now 7 1/2 years old, but I had the infant seats . . . that they could be in until they were 20 lbs. they were the rear-facing seats . . . Robbie grew at the right rate and by the time he was 20 lbs, he was ready to be moved into the next "level" of seat . . . Ashley, on the other hand, stayed really light (weight-wise) and had to stay rear-facing past the time that Robbie did . . . I did move her into the next "level" of seat, but it had to stay facing the rear . . . the problem with that was that her legs were getting long and she was cramped up against the back seat!

I didn't get the seats that they could be in until they were a year old because my twins were just under 5 and 6 lbs at birth . . . I had the head roll things in the infant "carrier" seats and still had to buy the preemie-sized ones to boot! I also couldn't imagine carrying them both to the car without them in seats! Just too complicated! Especially in bad weather!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">Thanks Jolene for my beautiful siggie!!</div></span>
February 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had the snugriders with all the kids. My kids lasted until about 6 months and then they got to long....weight was never an issue with any of them....

My twins were also too small in the beginning and I had to do the towel thing as well (lindsey came home at 4lbs even.....). So I'm not sure I would have felt comfortable with a larger carseat.....as it was they looked lost in the snugrides....below is a pic of ds (5lbs 6oz) when we left the hospital. I took this as dh ran back into the hospital to have someone explain to us how he would be safe with all this extra room.

February 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I used Snugrides with all my kids. Those things were heavy enough as it was, I wouldn't have wanted an even heavier infant seat. By the time they actually outgrew the Snugrides they were ready for bigger seats anyway and didn't want to be in the infant carriers.
February 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
We are looking at the snug rides too - mostly because they are light and when you're carrying two of them plus the two babies you want as little extra weight as possible. Also we were told by a friend to look for the adjuster strap to be in the font of the carrier - it make it easier to adjust to whatever the baby is wearing.

February 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone... sounds like the Snugride is the best & most lightweight solution! If I take the stroller, I think I'll have to get the Peg Perego seats which sound like they are the same size as the Snugride infant seats.

3Xblessed, that pic of your son in the carseat is adorable! He's so tiny!!

8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses

February 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM
AmandaR
I have the Graco SafeSeat as does my best friend. I LOVE it!!! And I love that I'll be able to use it longer. You would be able to use both the snap in frame and once the babies are older the regular stroller.

I would accept any gifts, but I personally would use the bigger car seats and snap in frame (a lot lighter than a big stroller with car seats) and then use the double stroller once the babies are bigger, more alert, and sitting up.

But I do highly reccomend the SafeSeat. I got a great deal on albeebaby.com.

Good luck
February 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the advice! That's my worry with the Peg Perego seats - on Amazon, the reviews said the babies outgrew them so fast they wish they had gotten the larger seats. I don't know if they're smaller than the Snugrides, but I did see reviews that said babies also outgrew those quickly. With my husband being a tall guy I worry the babies will outgrow them soon. Then again, the SafeSeats are heavier & I have a bad back, so there's a tradeoff there too I suppose. Now I'm as confused as ever, ha!

February 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe go to Babies R Us and try picking one up in each hand (thats how I got them to and from the car) and see what you like.....We outgrew our infant seats right into Britax's which last a long time.
February 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would highly recommend the SafeSeats b/c they have the shock foam in them which absorbs the shock from an accident. I also loved the fact that they go up to 30lbs or 32".

February 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
We are currently looking through the car seats and duo-strollers. This is all really helpful! I liked the looks of the Graco Duoglider, but the one I saw didn't have much control on the rear seat's recline. It was up or down and you needed two hands to let the seat down. It looked like the baby in the back seat would go flying down! I'm hoping to find a different stroller, but I know Graco has some really good travel packages.

I wonder though. We like the Britax seats, but do they fit into the Graco strollers? Especially the dual ones?

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
February 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks Astrid! I didn't know that about the foam, very good to know!

Eliza, I don't know about Britax seats fitting Graco strollers, but I do remember reading an Amazon review that said the back seat of the Duoglider does go flying down. One mom said it should be recalled for that reason. I don't know if it was an older or current model.

This is the stroller I decided on before my SIL offered her Peg Perego: http://www.doubledeckerstroller.com/products.html (Astrid, they have a triple version too!) I like it because both babies can see what's ahead, but you have the convenience of a narrow in-line stroller. The 3-wheel design is supposed to make it much easier to maneuver than 4 wheels, and the larger wheels handle well on rough surfaces. It holds several different infant seats (including Snugride and SafeSeat), but I don't think the Britax is one of them.

I want to get the "Twins At Play" sign at the bottom of the page, too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search