Bad news

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Veteran
I haven't posted in a while because the internet on my computer isn't working so I have to use DH's computer, plus last week we had a bad ice storm (for the second year in a row), and our phone line got knocked out by a big tree limb so we didn't have internet.

Anyway, we went to the boys' 6 month check-up and our ped. referred them to a neurologist because the backs of their heads are flat. I know this is not uncommon and I was expecting the neurologist to give us some physical therapy to do or even helmets. But what he said was the he was not concerned about their flat heads, that they would go back to normal when they get older, but that Connor has a condition where his skull in the front fused together early, and he pointed out the ridge running down his forehead to us. He said it was mild enough that it would not affect brain development, but that we need to do a CT scan, and if it looks like it will affect the look of his head, he will have to have surgery.

I guess it's not all that serious, but the surgery is really serious. They have to separate the front of his skull, and then they have to do reconstructive surgery to his eye orbits to separate them so they are not so close together. He would have to be in the hospital for three days, his eyes and forehead would swell, and then he'd have to wear a helmet for three months.

I am so dreading this. I never suspected anything was wrong with him until the dr. pointed it out. Now it is so obvious to me--Connor's forehead has always been much narrower than Aidan's, and I always thought this was just a difference in appearance.

Has anyone else had this happen? I've heard it is fairly rare, and it usually doesn't happen in the forehead, usually farther back in the skull. I guess I should feel lucky that it's not going to affect his brain development, but we've been through so much already with a two month stay in the NICU, coming home with apnea monitors, Aidan getting really bad jaundice from being fed through an IV, and I thought we were all in the clear and now one of my babies may have to have a really serious surgery. I pray that he won't need it.

My web page

February 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Big Hugs...hopefully he won't need the surgery!!

Is connor on the left in your siggy? I would have never noticed anything unless you had said something. Now I see (if I am looking at the correct twin) a slight ridge.
February 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*hugs* I hope he is ok!
February 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I hope the little guy is okay. You're in my thoughts!

February 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any advice, just wanted to send you thoughts and prayers!

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
February 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! I suppose it's good that the doctor is on top of everything & found the problem before something more serious happened as Connor grows. I'll be keeping you & your family in my thoughts! Lots of hugs!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 21st, 2008, 12:07 AM
sonnetjie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You'll be in my T&P's.

]
February 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
mighttyjomomma
Lots of hugs, please keep us updated!!!

You are in my T&Ps!
February 21st, 2008, 09:02 AM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I hope he will be okay without surgery! I'll keep him in my T's & P's!
February 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry for the bad news! I will keep you all in my prayers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search