Question for twin mamas!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
My hubby has a coworker with twins who says it's imperative we put both our twins on the same feeding schedule. If one isn't hungry, that one doesn't eat until the next "feeding". Has that been your experience too, it's better to have them on the same schedule? I'm worried I won't be able to say no to a hungry baby!

I'm also wondering about co-sleeping. My thought here is that with twins, we should have a bassinet the first few months, so when it's time for changing/feeding, I won't have to get up to go in the next room. Does that sound about right? I know it's a personal preference. Also, we have a queen size bed, I'm not sure if it will be big enough for hubby, me & two babies! (& three cats!)

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
sonnetjie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the beginning we woke the other baby so we could feed them together. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes the baby who got woken up was still too sleepy and didn't feed well and was awake soon again in any case. We tried as much as possible to keep them on the same schedule though. I wouldn't go so far as to deny a baby a feed till the next feed though.

In terms of the sleeping arrangements, we had them both in a pack and play, I think you call it, next to our beds for the first few months. Although in the beginning they slept in their bouncy seats. Both of them woke up as soon as we put them down in the pack and play. I suspect they had a bit of reflux and the incline of the bouncy seats helped. When they were about 4 months old we separated them, cause they didn't fit into the pack and play together anymore. We have a Queen size bed as well and a few nights all of us did end up in bed together. Was a bit of a tight fit though.

I think things will just work themselves out by the time they are about 5 or 6 months old. For us it did in any case. Most days they nap at the same time and go to bed and wake up at the same time as well. Just do what fits in best for your family and what allows you to get as much sleep as possible.

]
February 21st, 2008, 05:06 AM
mamma2petunia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to mamma2petunia Send a message via AIM to mamma2petunia Send a message via Yahoo to mamma2petunia
Mine co-bedded in the same crib in their own room. My advice is that if you don't get them in their OWN bed in their OWN room in the beginning, you will NEVER get them out of YOUR bed!! My 7 yr old son STILL ends up in our bed EVERY NIGHT!! I blame myself, too! As far as feeding, I demand fed my twins and I never regretted it. Mine were formula fed and I had to take them both downstairs to warm bottles and change diapers and it was a little stressful until we settled into a routine, but then it was okay. They actually put themselves on the same schedule pretty quickly, so it was fine!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">Thanks Jolene for my beautiful siggie!!</div></span>
February 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I kept them both on the same feeding schedule... So rather then not sleeping I was up for about 30 mins every 3 hours.. DH is a truck driver so I was alone most of the nights.. I slept on the couch with the babies in a bassinet.. But once their room was done (DH kept putting it off lol) I put them in their cribs.. Once 1 started to wake I went down got their bottles ready.. Grabbed diapers already had wipes in my room... Then put their bottles in my room and went and got the babies... I fed them in my bed and a few times if they fell asleep and I was tired I laid them next to me lol... So I kinda co-slept
February 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM
lilly_&_hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We feed both babies at the same time. Because they spent 17 days in the NICU - they came home on this schedule. In the NICU we would feed them every 3 hours and so that's what we do at home.

We have the twins in the same crib in their room. We don't want them getting in the habit of sleeping with us. Their bedroom is right next to our room - it's no big deal walking over to take care of things.

We do a diaper change before every feeding - that way when they are done eating it's right back to bed. They are still very young (I would have been 36 weeks pregnant today) my twins basically just eat and sleep at this point. Owen is starting to be awake a little more and it's great!
February 21st, 2008, 06:26 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I kept my twins on the same exact feeding schedule for the first 3 months. In the beginning because of their low birth weight we were instructed to feed them every 3 hours regardless of whether or not they were asking for it. Of course the whole process (stupid lactation consultant had me feed, pass of the be supplemented, feed the other, pass off the be supplemented and then pump for 30 minutes) took almost an hour so dh and I only slept in 2 hr increments before we would have to feed agian (we actually had a kitchen alarm that we would set). At 1 month I stopped bfing (can you blame me with the schedule above??) and it got a little easier. At 2 months we were told they had gained enough weight to let them wake up on their own for food. We would wake the other one and it feed it at the same time. At 3 months dh and I would do rock paper scissors to see who woke first and they had to get up and feed the first baby that cried...worked out for whoever won becuase at this point they started sleeping through the night and there were lots of nights where only one of us would have to wake up.

During the day everyone ate at the same time and still do....believe it or not our meal times haven't really changed in the last 4 years. They eat either a meal or a snack about every 3 hours during the day. My grocercy bill.

We kept the babies in their own room. I could not sleep if they were in the room with me becuase I was hyper aware of every noise they made and would never fully get to sleep. But the rooming thing is really personal.....
February 21st, 2008, 08:53 AM
mighttyjomomma
I was a feed on demand mom, and they were exclusively breast fed. As everyone is saying, its all about preference, but I was determined to breast feed them so pretty much for the first three months I was a zombie. But as they get older, it gets easier.. I do believe a schedule and routine makes a baby more.. I guess stable is the word? But I was pretty loose on it for the first six months of their lives.

They slept in the same crib until about 4 months, then I separated them because they moved around too much.. but they didn't sleep with us, my husband is very particular about that. Not even our oldest DD slept with us.
February 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Quote:
I kept them both on the same feeding schedule... So rather then not sleeping I was up for about 30 mins every 3 hours.. DH is a truck driver so I was alone most of the nights.. I slept on the couch with the babies in a bassinet.. But once their room was done (DH kept putting it off lol) I put them in their cribs.. Once 1 started to wake I went down got their bottles ready.. Grabbed diapers already had wipes in my room... Then put their bottles in my room and went and got the babies... I fed them in my bed and a few times if they fell asleep and I was tired I laid them next to me lol... So I kinda co-slept[/b]

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's much appreciated!

Crystal, my husband's a firefighter so I will be alone a lot of nights too. Because of that I think the schedule will be a good idea (if I can stick to it!) as well as a bassinet or pack-n-play in the room with me. Otherwise it will be a lot of leg work to feed the babies, would rather stay in bed. We'll see how it works in reality though! I think it won't be too different from my sleep schedule now, since I wake up every three hours to pee.

Thanks again everyone! Going to go pick up a kitchen timer today... will have to be a loud one otherwise DH won't wake up

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
gregorystwinsisters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to gregorystwinsisters Send a message via Yahoo to gregorystwinsisters
Well I could not feed one when the other woke, therefore my twins fed on demand the first three months. I had no choice. I was not going to force feed one who was not hungry because her twin woke and was. Or I wasnt going to make one twin starve because her twin was not ready to eat. It didnt make sense to me. Danielle my twin b was smaller so she ate more often. Deanna my twin a was bigger so she could go a lot longer between feedings. Around 4mos or so they started falling into the same schedule anyway and now they do everything the same.

It was rough feeding twins on demand but its possible. I should add that I did all the night and day feedings on my own and I survived.

I did not cosleep, I had a bassinet next to the bed. Once they started sleeping 6hr stretches, I moved them to their crib in their room.
February 22nd, 2008, 05:27 AM
Veteran
At night I always wake the other baby when I feed one, because if I don't the other baby inevitably wakes up an hour or two later to be fed. But during the day they are on whatever schedules they choose.

As for co-bedding, at first I was going to keep the babies in the same room with us, but then decided against it to avoid waking DH up all the time, because he has to wake up for work at 5 a.m. It's been fine having them in the other room, I keep a monitor in the room with me and turn it off as soon as they fuss (and get up to go to them, of course).

My web page

February 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In the very beginning I fed them on demand, then I got them on the same schedule after about the first month. They were breast fed until they were 10 months old. Being on the same schedule helped out a lot for my (an DH's) sanity.

We had the girls in separate cribs in their own rooms from the beginning. They never co-slept with each other or with us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search