Feeding problems

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Regular
Hi everybody and thanks for all the warm welcomes!! I had a question for you moms. I am having trouble feeding the girls. They are bottle-fed, and have been taking 3-4 ounces every 3 hours since they were 2 weeks old. It started getting difficult to get them to eat about a month ago (they would take 2 ounces, then push bottle away). I would usually be able to get them to eat a little bit more by changing the bottle to a different type (we have all kinds), or walking them around while feeding, or singing to them. That worked a couple weeks, then I resorted to syringe feeding them the remainder of their bottles. Now NOTHING will work. They will just spit it out. They will occ. eat "normally" (maybe 1-2 bottles a day), but the rest of the time I do good to get 2 ounces in them every 3 hours. They are 3 months old- and were born at 37 weeks 4 days. Weight gain has been good but that may not last since I can't get them to take the rest of their food anymore. Just wondering if any of you had ever encountered this kind of bottle aversion with your twins? If so, how long did it last? thanks!

Heather

</div><div align='center'></div>
March 7th, 2008, 06:33 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is there one type of bottle they like better than the others? Have you thought about switching formula?

If there weight is good - maybe they are just not that hungry? I would probably call the ped. and get his advice!!!

March 7th, 2008, 06:43 AM
gregorystwinsisters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to gregorystwinsisters Send a message via Yahoo to gregorystwinsisters
My one twin never ate more than 4-5 oz at a feeding. I figured she just wasnt hungry and only let her eat what she wanted.

Good Luck.
March 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM
mighttyjomomma
I wouldn't be much help when it comes to bottles, my twins were exclusively breastfed and I am BIG on the whole feeding on demand thing.. if you're really concerned I would definitely recommend calling your doc.

It could be they are simply not hungry, or maybe the formula isn't agreeing with them. Hope you find a solution - let us know!
March 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I did have problems with this but the pediatrician wasn't concerned as long as they were still gaining weight normally. Maybe try feeding them smaller amounts more often. I noticed their appetites came and went too.
March 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Regular
Hi everybody, thanks for the replies. I did take the girls to the doctor today. Everything checked out fine- she got their weights and said we would just monitor their growth. She wasn't overly concerned because everything else looks good, and they act fine. They have doubled their birth weights already. Just worried me but I feel better now. It seems like their appetites are just waxing and waning.

</div><div align='center'></div>
March 8th, 2008, 04:39 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I was going to suggest looking in to silent reflux. Are they fussy and crying during their feeds?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search