Baby confusion and clothes shopping

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
It came to my attention as I was looking for clothes that I'm having twins. How on earth am I to tell them apart? Especially in the beginning. I mean, they may look totally different, but they may not. So, I'm thinking not to buy clothes that look alike so I can tell them apart by what they are wearing. But, that may be difficult to remember. "Momnesia" is going to set in the minute those nuggets pop out of me, and I'm not going to remember a whole heck of a lot after that. I'd hate to be calling Kiefer Cameron/Cameron Kiefer and have no idea that I'm doing that. It's not like I can mark the bottom of a specific shoe or even mark their clothes. Once those clothes are off, they can be put on the wrong baby.

I so hope I don't get a bunch of clothes from family members that think it's cute to give them the same exact outfit. I'll go nuts trying to remember who is who if I even politely put them on my boys.

So, one idea is to only allow certain color outfits for one and certain color outfits for another. Like Cameron only wears greens and blues and Kiefer only wears yellows and tans/browns. Another idea is to keep the hospital tags with their names on them on each baby until we can recognize their differences.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
March 14th, 2008, 08:26 PM
mighttyjomomma
I'll be honest, the first few days might be tough. Well, it wasn't too bad for me because one had hair and one didn't, but at first when they had their caps on, I seriously had to lift them to see who was "the hairy one" and who was "the bald one".

It'll kick in though. It'll be no time before you can tell their cries apart without even looking, so rest assured.
March 14th, 2008, 08:35 PM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know mine are B/G but I was a tad worried also.. I promise you its not that bad... But calling the baby the wrong name will happen regardless haha I called Austin Alyssa the other day....

I like that color idea tho!! cause that will help other people around you... Cause if my InLaws call them baby boy and baby girl one more time I am going to SLAP THEM
March 15th, 2008, 07:07 AM
cindymat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine always had at least a one pound size difference so I could always tell who was who

March 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I thought I would have that problem as every one else seemed to have a problem telling them apart! However, you just know which one is which. I still have trouble telling them apart from the back, but I know which one is which and have from the beginning. I wouldn't worry about it!
March 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'm hoping you are right. Since they are not identical, they most likely will have some differences that I will be able to tell them apart from the beginning. I was just worried...not panicking or anything, just concerned.

March 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM
sonnetjie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That ribbon is a good idea. Or maybe a bit of nail polish on a toe or something...

I have caught myself calling Ruan by my middle son's name a lot of times and I am not the only one. Maybe because they look so much alike.

]
March 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
Quote:
I'm hoping you are right. Since they are not identical, they most likely will have some differences that I will be able to tell them apart from the beginning. I was just worried...not panicking or anything, just concerned.[/b]
My boys are identical and I could still tell them apart. I think it is just a mother's intuition.
March 16th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm not worried about accidentally calling them by the wrong name. Heck, my mother calls me my brother's name and I'm nothing like him. I was more worried about calling them the wrong name permanently. Like When I hand a son to a friend to hold and tell them it was Cameron when it was Kiefer and don't know it. I don't know. I guess that's a silly worry. My mother calling me by my brother's name always did tick me off. The only time she ever called me by my own name was when she was angry with me. I was never a trouble maker, but she just didn't have patience for me for whatever reason. So I guess I get a little sensitive and don't want to be doing similar things to my own sons if I can help it.

March 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I was afraid, even with B/G twins that I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. They are completely different (and honestly, I think MOST fraternal twins are!) that I never had that problem.

March 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM
mommy4micandella's Avatar Proud wife and momma!!
Send a message via AIM to mommy4micandella Send a message via Yahoo to mommy4micandella
i was gonna suggest a different color nail polish on their big toes.

March 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I have seen a semi-permanant marker for writing on your baby - look at maternity and baby botiques. The idea is to use it in the hospital so they don't accidently switch babies on you. The marker is safe for the skin and wears off after a few baths. Also, when one of my mom's friends had twins the hospital tatooed A and B on the bottom of one of their feet so they could be told apart - that was 30 years ago though.

March 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to say, paint one of their finger nails, but I think that's already been mentioned.

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
March 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Quote:
I have seen a semi-permanant marker for writing on your baby - look at maternity and baby botiques. The idea is to use it in the hospital so they don't accidently switch babies on you. The marker is safe for the skin and wears off after a few baths. Also, when one of my mom's friends had twins the hospital tatooed A and B on the bottom of one of their feet so they could be told apart - that was 30 years ago though.[/b]
Hmmm, if that's available where the marker is not permanent and will come off easily, I may actually go for that. I was just afraid of a permanent marker being really bad for them. the fumes, the mark, I know when I was going through my first set of shots for progesterone, the permanent marker the nurse drew on my hip would irritate my skin and stayed on for quite some time.

Thank you, I'll look in to that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search