medicine vent!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Heart Conditions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So, I knew cold and cough medicines have been recalled for children under 6 years of age. Well, I called Hailey peditrition to see what I ***CAN*** give her for this stupid cough that will not go away. She told me a medicine (guaifenesin - I hope I spelled that right). Then she checked the database they use with her heart stuff. Turns out she should not have any combo cough or cold medicine EVER. The brand is Musinex, but they have the cough, cold +cough, etc. She can't have anything like that EVER. I'm really ticked off because *NOBODY* has ever told us that before. We've asked, although not specifically, about things we should avoid giving her. And they haven't said anything (the doc or cardiologist). So I gave her some cold+cough medicine before they did the recall (after she turned 2/meet the weight requirement). Its over and done, and she's fine. Thankfully.

So here's my caution! Ask about specific medications! What would be the 1st choice for any OTC medicine you can think of - cough, cold, fever, you name it! For you child's individual condition. I got a list of medicines and the dosage by weight from the peditition day 1, so I've always refered to that if its on there I figured it to be fine.
December 1st, 2008, 03:42 AM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I can definitely understand why you're upset. And, thanks for sharing that info with us!

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

December 1st, 2008, 07:28 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Yeah, that would make me angry!! Those are things you'd like to know up front, right?? Crazy.

Let me ask you though, is the restriction because of other medicine she's on, or because of the heart condition? My mom damaged her heart after taking Sudafed every single day for like 20+ years (yeah, she's a little nutso).

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
December 1st, 2008, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yeah, that would make me angry!! Those are things you'd like to know up front, right?? Crazy.

Let me ask you though, is the restriction because of other medicine she's on, or because of the heart condition? My mom damaged her heart after taking Sudafed every single day for like 20+ years (yeah, she's a little nutso).[/b]

The restriction is because of the heart condition. She is not on any other medicine.
December 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM
5LilMonkeys
WOW!!! I never even thought to ask that.
December 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
That's interesting/scary. I gave Coral a dose of infants' Robitussin cold 5 or 6 months ago - her one and only dose - and it was frightening. She looked like she was high or something - eyes huge, her body would not hold still, and her heart rate was elevated. It scared the you know what out of me to see her like that. It only lasted about 2 hours but it was frightening. I never saw my older kids do that - I wonder if it affected her heart differently because of her ASD? I figured she was just sensitive to it and obviously never gave it to her again.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
December 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is scary. The nurse didn't specify what would happen - just advised against it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search