Longterm outlook

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Heart Conditions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Super Mommy
I asked my doctor what the longterm outlook is for Jack and he said that with or without surgery, he should go on to have a normal life although he may continue to be smaller sized. But since I have told people about his condition, I hear all of these stories of people who know people who had holes, and they sometimes say that they were restricted in one way or another. I was just wondering what you all had heard, and what your doctors are saying about what they will be able to do with their sweet little hearts as they get older?
December 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
They are telling me his heart is now "fixed". They think he will not need any further surgeries. As far as restrictions, I am sure he will not be able to participate in contact sports due to his OHS.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

December 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
5LilMonkeys
We were told Sam would have no restrictions even after his repair. We are just to watch signs that is getting worse again. Right now he is seeing his Card every 6mo.
December 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
As of right now, she will not be able to participate in high contact sports like football or wrestling, she also can not weight lift (when I asked about that, they said if its just a bit its fine, but its its as a sport or hobby then no). The important part is for her to know her limits and when she needs to take breaks from exercise. What the cardio said, is a lot of people do not know they have her condition until they get into sports in middle school or high school and complain of shortness of breath, fatigue, etc and the primary care physician refers them for an ultrasound. He guessed that she'll probably need open heart surgery in her 20s. I asked about dietary issues, foods to avoid he didn't say anything...but I'm starting to consider for all of us, researching a health-healthy diet that is recommended for stroke victims. They also told us, that as we age we get more "crap" stuck in our valves, which causes blockage. Her valve is already narrowed, so she's may need to have surgey to expand the valve. So my thinking is stop or reduce the foods and such that cause blockage, reduce the need for surgery. If that doesn't work then valve replacement surgery.

Aside from what the cardiologist told us, we've had one friend who has this same condition. She is in her 30s and her valve is still in great condition as far as narrowing goes and has no physical symptoms related to the aortic stenosis. That is also the feedback I get from online research/personal stories.
December 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We were told no contact sports. Other than that most heart kids know their own limits and know when the need to rest.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

December 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Jude has no restrictions from his VSD. With his WPW, he'll be unable to participate in sports like football or anything where he could take a hard blow to the chest, like karate. If he starts having SVT issues, he will likely not be able to ride roller coasters. He's restricted from caffeine, and all cold and allergy medications because of the risk of increased heart rates.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search