when they are in school or daycare

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Heart Conditions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When they go into child care or into grade school, how did you address your child's heart issues with the teacher(s). I always feel wierd explaining it to her teachers because right now it is so mild there really isn't any signs or symptoms to look for to know something is going on. The only thing the cardiologist has ever said is unusual sweating. When I explained it to her teacher, she seemed really concerned about having a heart child in her class. I told her if she has any questions just to ask, if I can't answer them I'll call the cardiologist. But as the cardiologist told us, "just treat her like a normal child."

When she gets into grade school - I kind of wonder about the process with that. I mean if a kid wears glasses they have glasses no issues no special regulations. Am I making this too much of an issue? OUr pedi told us a story about a baby who was fine at birth, but came for a 1 month check up in heart failure. I'm always worried about that in the back of my mind even though I talk very calmly about everything. Knowing she WILL have open heart surgury is the scariest thing I can imagine and wish I could go through it for her. But really looking at her you'd never guess she was anything BUT the typical two year old child.
January 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I don't think you're making this too much of an issue. I would do the same.

When do they think they will do OHS? Sorry if you have already mentioned, I can be forgetful.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

January 21st, 2009, 03:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They are guesstimating in her 20s. Although it really just depends on the pressure in her aortic valve. Really we have no idea! She could need surgery next week or when she's 80. It almost seems easier to have a date, and do surgery on that date. Her normal cardio visits consist of an ekg and an echo to assess the pressure in the valve. So if the echo indicates the pressure getting into the moderate range instead of mild we'll be talking about surgery. She had a spike in pressure April 08, but in Dec 08 the pressure was the same as April. So they think they just got an accurate reading since she actually let them complete the echo those times. She's in the middle of the mild-range right now.
January 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Super Mommy
I've never been there, but I think you are not overreacting. I wonder the same thing about just telling acquaintances about Jack. They have these questions about his size, coloring, etc so I feel like I need to qualify things, and sometimes wonder if I am making a bigger deal out of it. we all know how impacting a heart condition is on things, and you are just responding and trying to keep the teacher on board. I am sure they appreciate it too.
January 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM
5LilMonkeys
When my DS was in daycare I made it a point that they know and what signs to look for. He will actually have the same person for Kinder next year so she already knows. I think its a good thing for them to know JIC.
February 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think you're making too much of a big deal. It's important for others who will be around your child frequently to know the signs to look for if there should be a problem. For Jude's preschool, I had to fill out the health cards, and I ran out of room on it. I wanted them to have all the information needed, in case an emergency came up--they'd be able to relay his conditions to any EMT's.

February 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
I know when i was a littl girl growing up all of my school teachers knew, it was on my file, but teachers treated me normally mostly. I had already had my operation, but all of my schools worked closely with my parents due to times I had to go for check-ups at the hospital. I think given you have no idea when it will show and she will need surgery then it is vital you tell them just in case, but make it clear they think it won't happen until her 20's but you have to be on the ball, incase it decides to show early. It should really be on her school file ideally like mine was.
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search