intolerance for heat?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Heart Conditions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is going to be a really hot summer where we live (NC).

One of the things DD's cardiologist said was to watch out for overheating when its not typical. Well, we were outside eating lunch and Hailey started coughing saying her tummy hurt and had to throw up. She was clammy, but I didn't think she was overly hot. Not to mention the kid drank 3 cups of water while at church (about 6 oz each). So I know she wasn't dehydrated by any means. Not to mention she was having some water at the restaurant also.

It was just really unusual, and I've noticed her coughing a lot - almost gagging while outside (in the heat). I'm going to discuss this with her peditrition and maybe give a call the the cardiologist just in case. We've never been told to keep her indoors in hot weather (the high for today is predicted 88, plus humidity - I was warm as was DH but nothing atypical for NC summers).

I'm curious what others experiences are or what your cardiologists have told you have heat exposure. I *think* the heart pumps more in keep the body cooler right? I wonder if that is putting additional strain onto her heart.
May 31st, 2009, 01:07 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
We don't have any restrictions at this point.
I would definitely mention this to her ped/cardiologist. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

June 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
I tend to find I palpitate more in heat, however I have learnt to control this through staying hydrated. When I was little though I was terrible for it and my parents kept me in the shade a lot. However summers in England are a lot less predictable than your summers x
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

June 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Now, I'm wondering if she really was dehydrated. Considering she did chug 3 cups of water at church. I guess I'll have to make sure her teachers at school push fluids more. Still need to call the cardio....lunch break was not long enough today!
June 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Maybe she was, if it was really hot then you never know, she might just not have been able to get the fluids in quick enough
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search