What to put in a care package?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Heart Conditions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2011, 11:41 AM
MelibearMom's Avatar Melissa--expecting #4!!
Hi ladies! Just stopping by with a question I knew you would probably have the answer to.

My friend has a 3 yr. old boy with major heart problems. He just recently got a new pacemaker and was doing well until he got RSV. He has been in the hospital for about a month and supposedly is the sickest he has ever been. My friend has been with him day and night while her husband works and her 7 mo. old daughter is with a babysitter every day. My neighborhood is really pitching in to help with dinners for her hubby and laundry. I would really like to send a care package to her at the hospital though.

So, if you were stuck at the hospital for days at a time and not able to leave your son's side what things would you like to have? I'm planning on putting in some new toys, books, and activities for him. Maybe some snacks for her? I don't think she has time to read. Lotion? I just can't think of anything. Thanks for the help!

Hailey Marie 1-29-13 8lbs. 1 oz.
April 14th, 2011, 04:53 AM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Food for her for certain. Hospital food was my downfall. The books and quiet activities for him are a great idea. Are you able to arrange for someone to go and sit with her while she's there? Even just for an hour or so a day. Even though she is with her son she possibly feels disconnected from the outside world.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
MeganLaRue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MeganLaRue Send a message via Yahoo to MeganLaRue
Savannah was hospitalized with RSV and Austin was hospitalized with Rotovirus when he was a baby...

Colors, Coloring books, Movies, were all lifesavers for Austin... Even small toys that he could use in bed... He wasn't allowed to go to the play room b/c he was contagious...

For the mom:
Pick up a small thing of lotion, something that smells good. And maybe even a little body spray, or shampoo. Send snacks and some of her favorite drinks. Change or dollar bills are also excellent since that's all the vending machines will take. I agree with trying to find someone to sit with her for a while... Maybe even offer to sit with her son so that she can go home and shower and spend time with her 7 mon old and husband. Or offer to sit with him while she goes to get lunch... I know being stuck in the one room was hard! Especiall when there are other children at home. My laptop was a lifesaver because when the baby napped I could get online and chat with family. Update facebook, play games, etc. Anything to help pass the time.

Thanks vicki for my perfect siggie!!!
April 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would definitely see if she will let you sit with him while she leaves for a bit. Danny was in for 5 days straight once and people would come for 10-20 minutes but I couldn't even leave to go to the vending machines or down the hall because Danny was contagious and he wouldn't let me out of his sight without screaming bloody murder. People would bring me food but I literally didn't leave that room for 5 days. If I had cabin fever that bad in 5 days I can't imagine a month!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had an extended hospital stay with a sick one, but I agree with toys, coloring books, movies for DC. I would also say food, bills/coins, smell-good stuff are all great. I agree with offering to sit with her, bring a movie or game to play with DC (even if mom doesn't leave the room, she can at least breath a sigh of relief for a lil bit). I don't see a book or crossword puzzle book or something as a bad idea either. If DC is resting or napping, it might give her something to do to pass time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search