Hazel

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Heart Conditions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2012, 07:58 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
For some reason, I can't comment on your blog. I just wanted to let you know that little Izzy and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Many prayers for a speedy recovery for her after her surgery. I am glad to hear that it went well.

Thank you PrincessMom08 for my beautiful siggy!

April 20th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, Rachel! They are working on getting more tubes and wires out so she can hopefully nurse soon (the whole bottle thing is really making her mad)
April 21st, 2012, 05:40 PM
I am glad they are trying to wean her off of tubes. I know Marsi was ecstatic to get tubes taken out one at a time.

April 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
It was so good to read her update today!!! It was SO nice when Marsi got her chest tube out (she only had one). Snuggling with baby after surgery is wonderful for both parties. I hope that you will be out of the ICU soon. It was so much more comfortable for us when we were moved to the regular heart floor. I hope that she will be home in the next couple of days!

April 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Iz had two chest tubes and they would just not stop draining--I think the docs were going to go back in to see what was going on. Then I got to hold her a couple times and her stats improved and the drainage slowed down Her surgeon was right--he thought if she got cuddled, she would start improving because that was just who she was

We never did make it out of ICU--the step-down unit was full so we stayed in PICU an extra two nights/three days until discharge yesterday afternoon
April 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I am SO happy that you are home with Iz! Being home makes the healing go so much faster.

April 28th, 2012, 07:33 AM
She is feeling so much better here at home and is needing a lot less pain medication
April 29th, 2012, 05:53 PM
How are her incisions. It took a while for Marsi to bathe because of the incisions and that was rough and she had special bandages with sutures underneath and I was wondering how similar it is with her.

April 30th, 2012, 06:01 AM
We were told to bathe Iz daily, either sponge bath or in her baby tub where just her butt was in water because her incision can't be submerged. She doesn't have any external sutures, just the steristrips--her surgeon says he uses a plastic surgeon's closure to minimize scarring. We gently wash the incision site with soap and warm water, rinse, and pat dry. The steristrips are starting to pull off and we are getting little glimpses of the incision--it looks amazing! Like someone drew a thin line on her chest with a pen or something. If it stays that way, fading after time will leave her with a barely noticeable line
April 30th, 2012, 10:56 AM
There were only 2 sutures on the very ends under the steristrips. Since Marsi's incision was on her back, we could only sponge bathe her. No submersion at all. It was miserable. Marsi is part fish and loves her bath so it was hard on her as well. Marsi's scar is still pretty purple, but it will fade to almost nothing. They did plastic surgery closure on Marsi too. It is really nice.

May 2nd, 2012, 06:15 AM
We have to keep Iz well buttoned up in her clothing at all times because she keep trying to peel off the steristrips LOL They are coming off on their own but we aren't supposed to pull them off til 10 days after discharge so we have to keep her hands away from them

How is Marsi feeling?
May 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Marsi has been back to her regular self for a couple of weeks. Her scar is now flat with her skin. We are getting Vitamin E ointment for it to try and make it look lighter. She just had another cardio appt today for an echo and all seems well. We have another appointment August 27. Is Isabelle getting all of her energy back? Is she still on pain medications?

May 3rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
She doesnt need pain meds too often but she has it when needed (Tylenol with codeine--regular tylenol and motrin just didn't work for her).

She has tons more energy but still tires much more quickly than our boys did at this age. Her cardio is pleased with the big increase in her energy levels, though

Iz has her next cardio appt in three months
May 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
Since you all brought up the scar issue I thought I would share some pics. The first is my daughter approximately 3 weeks after surgery (at 6 months old), the second was taken last week (3 weeks before her 3rd birthday). I did not do any of the creams, and she only had sutures around her chest tubes the zipper was closed with glue.

May 4th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Cora is adorable! And her scar looks really great thanks for sharing
May 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM
What a little cutie!! Thank you for sharing pictures. I will have to share what Marsi's scar looks like now that we are a few weeks out.

May 6th, 2012, 05:44 AM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
Thank you! A few weeks past surgery I was a little worried about her scar but the fact that I still had my daughter with me waaayyyy over powered that worry. Now in the right lighting you can't even see her zipper, and when she went through the phase of learning her body parts she thought she had 3 belly buttons for a little bit until we named her chest tube scars her "polka dots."

May 6th, 2012, 08:20 AM
that is really cute, the three belly button story Maybe she'll be telling that to her grandkids someday--it's the type of story I'd tell lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search