April is Autism Awareness Month!

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hi, I'm Crissy, host of the Children with Developmental Delays & Disorders board.

Since April is Autism Awareness Month in the United States, it seemed like a good time to drop in and share some facts about autism, and an invitation to the DevD&D board.
If you have a child on the spectrum, if you have any questions or concerns about your child or a child you know, or if just want to learn more about austism spectrum disorders, please come visit us on the Children with Developmental Delays & Disorders board!

Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are a group of developmental disabilities caused by a problem with the brain. Scientists do not yet know exactly what causes this problem. ASDs can impact a person’s functioning at different levels, from very mildly to severely.
Some facts:

■ Autism now affects 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys. Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism.
■ More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined. Yet autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases.
■ Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S., and costs the nation over $35 billion per year.
■ There is no medical detection or cure for autism.

There are some red flags you can watch for in your child. Red flags DO NOT mean autism, they are just signs to take a closer look. Ask your child's doctor for an evaluation if your child has:

■ No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter
■ No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter
■ No babbling by 12 months
■ No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months
■ No words by 16 months
■ No two-word meaningful phrases (without imitating or repeating) by 24 months
■ Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills at any age

And come visit the Children with Developmental Delays & Disorders board if you'd like to know more or want to meet other parents who are considering, just beginning, or who have gone through the evaluation process.

I'd like to thank your host for the opportunity to post here. Thank you!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Last edited by picklesmama; April 22nd, 2010 at 12:32 PM.
April 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Crissy! I just joined your board last week!
April 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Thanks for posting Crissy. I really want to find time to join your board as my LO has some developmental delays too, but I visit so many boards already! I will try to pop by from time to time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search