Budapest

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2010, 03:52 AM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just back from a wonderful 4 day trip to Budapest. Here are some of the highlights.

Day 1- Ugg, 17 hour bus ride with only 1 stop. The one stop we made was a good one though, Vienna, Austria. I only managed to get one pic as we were pulling into the city i was so tired from not sleeping and sitting still for almost 9 hours I forgot to take more pics.

Day 2- Arrive in Budapest ahead of schedule! Instead of going to the hotel we were dropped off at the Great Market hall. This place was amazing, over 500 vendors including trinkets,food places and little grocery stands. I bought hand carved and painted napkin rings. We were in a hurry to get some lunch since we had spent so much time shopping so we ate and cafe type place. I had goulash, potato noodles, paprika potatoes, and a hot stone cherry strudle.

Then off to the bus for a short ride around to the hotel. Budapest is made up of 2 "cities" Buda and Pest. Our Hotel Lions Garden on the Pest side was wonderful def. 4* for a european hotel. After unpacking and showering we were off. We walked around the neighborhood our hotel was in and supprise our hotel was at the far end of the redlight district. We never had and problems and would have never known if we hadnt gotten a little turned around at one point. Some random man walked up to us and let us know that might not be the best place to be walking alone. After that we went back to the hotel and had them call us a taxi back down to the main square. It only cost us 1400 forint (5.83 usd) We had been given a flyer for a Thai massage place earlier adn set out to find it.

The massage...It was wonderful, beyond wonderful adn a bargian at only 12usd for 90 minutes!!! I did spend the first half hour or so worried that it might not be just a massage place though. But it turend out fine. from there we met up with some of the others from the tour group and had drinks ( well I didnt drink but everyone elses did) in a little pub that was made from a submarine. How cool was that. We took off from there to eat at a place that had come recomended from a chef frind of the friend I was traveling with.
Rustica was the hands down best meal I had while in Budapest. Total cost of dinner including 2 sodas and tip $11 usd. After dinner we met up again with some of our tour group and decided to go on a late night cruise of the Danube river. Every thing along the river was all lit up and beautiful. We got a goup rate for having 10+ people and coat $6.25 usd. After the cruise everyone wanted to try out a disco call Rio, it was already 11:30 and I was tired so I took a taxi back to the hotel. remember the taxi before dinner that was so cheap, that was no where to be found taxi back to the hotel was almost $15 usd! It didnt take me long at all to fall asleep in the super soft bed that I didnt have to share, laying in the wonderful air conditioning.

Day 3- My friend came back from the disco a little after 5 am, thankfuly she was quiet and i fell right back asleep. I slept in until 8:30, then went down satirs for the free breakfast. Breakfast was good and filling with both English and Hugarian food. My friend still wasnt awake yet so I took my book outside into the courtyard/garden and sat on a lounge and read. Oh how wonderful it was to lay around and read uninterupted.

More soon, I have to get teh kiddos up from their nap now.

Pics Melissa 'Waterfield' Mudd's Photos - budapest | Facebook

Last edited by mamamudd; July 14th, 2010 at 03:21 AM.
July 12th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds great so far! I was looking at your pics yesterday, what a gorgeous place. Can't wait to hear how the rest of it went!
July 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Sounds so awesome. I want to see the pics but the link isn't working for me I want to go there now though, the shopping and massage sounds amazing.

July 15th, 2010, 05:38 AM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay pic link is fixed!

Day 3 cont- We decided to take the hop on hop off tour. I have loved these every place we go. I took my own headphones withme because I hate using the ones they have on the bus that everyone else has already used. After getting on and off at the synagogue, heros square, and the Citadel we ended our tour at Roosevelt square and walked from there back to the Great Market, with lots of shopping along the way. It was about 6 miles and after stopping for lunch at a little Greek place we decided to reward our selves with another massage. The massage was great yet again! We didnt want to walk back to the hotel after all the walking we had done earlier so we decided to cab it. OMG it took forever to get a cab this time and I about got run over trying to step off the curb so they could see me better. Back at the hotel lots of people wanted to have drinks down at the bar which I wasnt intrested in so I took off for the sauna and pool. It was another wonderful time spent all by my self. I didnt know how much I liked spending time by my self until this trip. I spent a frew hours dow there hopping back and forth between the dry sauna, hot tub and pool. After that I went to the room to dress for dinner. Our group had plans to go to a folk art dinner and dancing show but most were too tipsy to make it so we settled on a restaurant about 5 blocks from the hotel. The food was good and fairly inexpensive. we decided to all order diffrent dishes and pass them around, which ended up being a great way to try lots of things and not have to commit to one main dish. dinner was long and leisurely followed by a assortment of desserts and lots of beer and whine for everyone else. By the time we left it was about Midnight and i was tired so I said goodbye to everyone as they took off for yet another disco. I think I am just too old to go to discos/clubs anymore. I value my sleep too much!

Day 4- I was awake bright and early and took the opportunity to go back down to the pool and swim before breakfast. Breakfast was just as good as before but it got crowded quickly. I had packed up the night before so I was in no hurry to get back to the room and I went for a walk arround the neighborhood one last time. We loaded up the bus after that for the long ride home. It turend out to be about 20 and a half hours to get home and our bus driver got lost not once but twice. The first time we ended up in Slovakia. And the second time in the forrest of Bavaria. I guess its cool to cross another country off my list that I hadnt planned.

All in all it was a great trip and Im happy I went. The only thing I would have changed was flying instead of taking a bus tour.

July 15th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You wouldn't think a bus driver would get lost since they drive for a profession! Sounds like you had a great time!
July 17th, 2010, 02:31 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
Sounds like a great trip!
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search