Souvenir Exchange

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2010, 01:36 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I've had a couple of pms about this, just wanted to pop on and say sorry I haven't replied yet, I've been MIA for 2 weeks and have all kinds of drama going on on GS as regards a summer exchange which I'm trying to unravel, when I have done that I will get to this!!

There's a couple of people I have not heard from, and I haven't sent anything out yet either namely because I haven't found anything particularly suitable to send, but I will be sorting mine out next week and trying to get on the tails of those I haven't heard from. Ultimately if anyone doesn't follow through I will send their secret sister something eventually.

I hope you are all well over here! Life is mad for me at the moment so I barely get time to get past my one board!!

September 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
Actually, looking at it, nobody has shipped yet and only one person has actually bought something for this. I haven't even heard from 2 people so do not know whether they are planning to follow through or not.

Would it be easier for everyone to just cancel this, and Augie, if you still want to send what you bought if it's no use to you, I could just send you something back myself? What do people think?

Happy to continue if people want to continue but it could take some time to sort out given that I haven't even heard from 2 people and could not afford to buy 2 extra presents all at the same time.

Forget this now (see discussion below) - we're not cancelling as I have now heard from everyone either by pms or in this thread.

Last edited by Carwen*Angel; September 1st, 2010 at 07:20 AM.
September 1st, 2010, 05:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am going to be PISSED if we cancel this. I put a LOT of time and effort into my package, have sore hands from writing so much about the things I included, even bought something for that person's child (nothing major and it didn't cost a lot of money so whatever) and then not to mention I can't get a refund on anything because the souvenir shops here are places where sales are final.

SO, with that being said, I haven't sent it out yet and was about to go do so in an hour, so PLEASE let me know if I should not waste my time doing so. I'm already busy enough today as it is. Oh and also someone owes me $18 of money that I can't get back for items that I have zero use for. Well actually I'd love to keep one of the items, so make that $15.

It would have been nice to have this issue of no responses and potential cancellation fully addressed before the deadline to get packages out.
September 1st, 2010, 05:57 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I have 1/4 of my package put together- and doing the rest when hubby has the day off!!! Sharron, I'm not sure I PM'ed you, though. I meant to, and then I believe I got side tracked and never did so, and then forgot TOTALLY. Oh yeah. Bad memory here.

But, I do have the package started for mine! Just not finished. It will get there and to her! I don't think it should be canceled, personally.. looks like Augie is done, Tonya is done (and I think I would be pissed if I were her, too LOL!) and I'm started, and WILL be done by end of the week.

* editing to add:

I realize the deadline was today- and to my partner, I thoroughly apologize for that. It was just delayed a bit due to circumstances. You WILL get your package when I finish it up this week ♥

September 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM
That's fine. I wasn't saying it to anger anybody, Tonya - I just hadn't heard from half of you by pm, I came by the board some time ago asking people to pm me and check in on this and only a couple of people did, and I did bump that thread back a few times before I left it.

We'll run with it then, now that I know everybody is on it, that's fine.

Go ahead and post out, those who are ready, and please if you could all send me a pm when you have shipped to your sister it would really help.

And as I said in my above post I would have sent a gift to anyone who had sent one and not received back, not that I can afford to do that all at once for everyone, but nobody who sent would have gone without, and never do in any exchange I organise. I said that at the outset and I stand by that. I've had it happen to me and had nothing done about it in my DDC and I know how crappy it feels - so I would never leave anybody feeling like that, and am kind of upset at the intimation that I would to be honest.

It's difficult if people don't respond when the organiser posts about it or sends pms out. Yes, it should be addressed, but there's only so much reminding etc you can do: after that, if people still don't respond, there's not a lot I can physically do about it other than to say that those people should not then be included in future swaps on the board, and send a gift myself to their secret sister.

As I say, I posted a reminder on here some time ago, and bumped it back a few times. I HAVEN'T just left it until the deadline. I posted the above because we are on the deadline and I hadn't heard from 2 people at all, and of the 2 I HAD heard from only one had actually bought something and the other was on it and looking but had not yet found something for her sister. I wondere
d therefore whether it would be easier for EVERYONE, and if it isn't, then it isn't. If I'd had a proper response like this last time I posted about it I would never have suggested it.

Also, please appreciate that I am no longer hosting this board, I stepped down for a reason ie other things IRL were shortening my JM time - and I agreed to continue with keeping an eye on the exchange because I started it up, but with the best will in the world, I do have other commitments at home and have not had time to send reminders every week or anything like that. I have also just been on holiday so haven't been around JM at all for over a week.

Last edited by Carwen*Angel; September 1st, 2010 at 07:41 AM.
September 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Silly question, but how is everyone mailing their packages? And what is the best way to do it? I've never mailed a package before.

Unfortunately, my package will be sent out late as well. It will be late, BUT it will be sent out!

Jenn
September 1st, 2010, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not entirely sure what not hosting the board anymore has to do with this souvenir exchange. I know you started it when you were host and things in your life changed so you stepped down, but you also said you intended to keep up with the exchange and didn't ask Sarah or anyone else if they wanted to take it over - well publicly, I obviously can't speak for what goes on in PMs so I am only coming at you from my perspective as a member of the board. I understand you've been away for the last few weeks and haven't been able to check in about it and I would never suggest that you hang out around here PM'ing people weekly about it when you don't spend time on this board otherwise, but what I don't understand is the fact that it the possibility of canceling wasn't addressed in July when you asked people to PM you and you said only one person did - but it's NOW, on the day of the deadline, after I actually bothered complying and went and got my stuff and put a lot of effort into making a package that my person would enjoy, that you bring up the possibility of canceling due to low response/participation.

Sharron, I DEFINITELY understand that you host another board and you have a commitment to keep things moving there and that things are busy in your life and I am so happy for you that you have met Sean because you seem so happy with him, but it hurt my feelings when I logged in this morning and saw the suggestion to cancel when we haven't heard anything about it since July. You did bump the thread once, but if no one continued to PM you about it, I wish canceling would have been brought up at that time, but we can't change the past and it is what it is and hindsight is 20/20 and all that good stuff

I do think it's sad that it seems there needs to be a constant reminder for people to get anything done (INCLUDING myself - hello, I shopped at the last minute and am sending it out the day of the deadline so I am just as guilty) and I know you can't control when people don't PM you about it when you ask them to or don't respond to your PMs if you ask them about it, but I'm just saying this so you can understand why it upset me. I have no hard feelings toward you and I don't mean to come across as a you-know-what, but I was REALLY upset about the prospect of canceling it at the last minute.

If anyone doesn't receive anything who is in the States, I will be glad to send them something so that you don't have to worry about paying shipping from overseas.

Jenn, depending on what you have, if it will fit into a bubble mailer, do that and drop it off at the post office. If you're unsure about the person receiving it, add a tracking option to it for I think $1 or so.
September 1st, 2010, 09:32 AM
Guilty as charged for not PM'ing Sharron and being a bit past deadline here, I can admit when I'm wrong I apologize to everyone for that. That said, I'm definitely not a flake. I'm just a bit slow sometimes and you have my promise and full word that my partners package will be shipped out at the end of the week!

September 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
OK Tonya fair enough. I didn't actually say "I am cancelling it" however - I just asked if it would be easier, given the limited information I had to go on. I didn't mean to upset anyone. My life has been crazy busy over the last couple of months for all kinds of reasons. I dare say nobody seems to have had it easy this year on JM somehow, so it's understandable that things get missed, delayed etc. Seems like everyone is on it now anyway so let's leave it at that.

Jenn, I usually try to send things in jiffy bags (bubble wrap bags, or envelopes padded with bubble wrap, like Tonya suggested) as it works out cheaper. You can buy boxes as well though in all kinds of sizes here in the UK, not sure whether it's the same in the US...

September 1st, 2010, 09:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's OK Erika. We're all guilty of being last minute here. And that is NOT Sharron's fault at all. Ideally, she shouldn't have needed to remind us at all. We're adults and can keep our own items on our schedules, right? I also apologize to everyone for being so last minute and lax on getting up off of my duff and doing this. I actually had a blast doing the shopping once I finally got out to do it!
September 1st, 2010, 10:29 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not participating, but I hope everyone enjoy's what they get!

September 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I got here too late to sign up for the stuff so I am not participating either but I think that its awesome you guys got to do something.

September 1st, 2010, 04:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! I thought I had to use a box. I'll see if everything will fit in a bubble mailer.

Jenn
September 2nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
there was a gift swap? I must have totally missed it. Hope everyone gets something cool! Who ever gets Tonya's package will be in for a treat, she does the best presents ever.

September 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Melissa, you're too sweet My package really isn't much in terms of stuff, but I did put a lot of effort into making the little bit that there is interesting. I wrote a book, I swear. Maybe I should write tourism brochures for Biloxi and surrounding areas LOL.

I think this was organized back around April or May. I remember it was right around when I was moving because I had to wait a few weeks to get my new address to Sharron.
September 6th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Sharron-
Are we supposed to share when we receive our package and who from?!
Mine has been thanked via PM because I wasn't sure I was supposed to give away who it was, until everyone got theirs?!

But ♥♥♥♥♥ to mine, she knows who she was. My package ROCKED!

September 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM
You can do it on the board Erika, that's fine!

Melissa, yeh it was ages ago that this was set up, back when I was hosting the board, but we gave the participants all summer because everyone was vacationing at different times etc.

I really enjoyed doing my souvenir exchange shopping too. I went into the city today to do it as I never found anything I liked on either my holiday to Scotland or Lincolnshire. It was lovely and sunny and I got to walk round my favourite shops in my favourite city.

My parcel has been shipped today.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search