**October Chat Thread**

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Erika. Stick around this time!

I am gonna lose my #$&% on this Monday morning therapist one of these days.
October 4th, 2010, 12:55 AM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Erika, it soooo good to see you again!

I like to start Christmas shopping early that way it spreads the spending over several months instead of just 2 or 3 paychecks. We are not going to buy gifts for each other this year and only 1 "big" gift and one small gift for each of the kids. My IL's and DH's brothers and their wives all expect gifts too. I am saying no way this year. They all act like they are owed something and I am not going to be a part of that. I haven't decided if we will do gifts for our nieces and nephew yet.
This is just another prime example of why I don't like Christmas anymore. Halloween and Thanksgiving are so much more enjoyable.

DS started his part day enrichment program today. DD and I took him to "school" and he started playing with all his friends before I could even get his jacket hung up. Then he turns to me hands on hips and says...go home Mommy I'm FINE! Since getting back home DD has been wandering around the house calling out for TinTin (her name for Quintin) over and over. poor girl has never been away from her brother before. I think this will be good for both of them though.

October 4th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww, they are so cute!

It's our first chilly morning here. It's about 50 out...my bed was so cozy this morning, I didn't want to get out. But, I have to get the house ready for a playdate. A small one, just 4 other moms.
October 4th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Have fun with your play date. That sounds like a good time, maybe I will get one set up for next week.

What do you guys think about an online wish list like from amazon or toys r us? Do you think they are tacky or a good idea? Im considering doing one for the kids Christmas.

October 4th, 2010, 08:22 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I think a wish list is a totally great idea- we did one last year for the first time and it worked out SO WELL. I'm doing it again this year People typically call and ask me "what does Alexis want this year" so to send them to the list just works better, rather than explain it all. Then they can even see pictures and stuff.

It's cool here, too.. 54! LOVE IT.

October 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't do a wish list, but it has more to do with the fact that I'm too lazy to put one together than it does anything else.

I can't get warm here so far today. It's not gotten out of the 60s yet. If it would warm up just a little more I could open my windows and let the warm sunshine in. Except Maddie knows how to poke the screens out now. Playdate was fun this morning. I invited a mom who I just met through an autism support group and I'm not really sure I like her after spending some time with her. She was really nosy for one....I've only met her once before and she already deemed it appropriate to ask if I was receiving disability pay from SSI or wherever for Maddie for her autism. Then she literally laughed in my face in an insulting way when I told her that her son being in my kitchen couldn't hurt anything because the kitchen is babyproofed. She said that he knows how to work the oven knobs. Well that's great, but they still have a babyproof mechanism in place and just because he knows how to work around it doesn't mean it's not babyproofed and I did not appreciate the way she laughed like I was an idiot when I told her that it was. Then she went on a tirade about how I should treat Maddie's eczema. I am 100% for someone making suggestions to me because how else will I learn about things I am not aware of, but she wasn't making suggestions, she was making demands. Urg. Not sure she'll be invited to the next playgroup.
October 4th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Ohhh.. she kinda sounds like a... pill I'm not sure I would invite her back, either. I don't like nosy peeps. Well, not about personal stuff when I don't know them very well.

It's cold here still.. now raining, and it's making it feel REALLY cold because it's cold rain. I'm chilly. NOT turning heat on yet... nope, nope, nope.

I'm sleepy *yawn*

October 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I joked with DH tonight that I'm officially a southerner because I spent the first 75 degree day of my life in a long sleeved shirt freezing. I didn't really realize how accustomed to the humidity I got during the summer until now when it's disappeared. I've never been in a climate this warm for more than a week at a time so I'm shocked I adapted so quickly. Still, it's not really cold...it's beautiful. The weather here is just gorgeous in September and October and I am really enjoying fall.

I'm off to an autism support group meeting.
October 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I'm so glad you're enjoying the weather!
I know you weren't very fond of the cold in IL, it's so great you moved down to the south- perfection for you!

Have a good meeting My 'best friend' has a son who is autistic and goes to support meetings. Do you find they help you at all?

October 4th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I really don't find these particular meetings helpful to my personal family situation, but I like the group and want to get involved with the cause, so I continue to go to them. Not many people in the group have children under 5 with a diagnosis, so most of the meetings are about school aged kids and what they are going through in the schools here. I'm trying to start a subgroup within the group of moms with kids under 5, to meet for playdates and coffee and stuff during the week, but I'm having a really hard time because a lot of people just don't want to get involved. And then I hear ALL.THE.TIME that "your daughter seems so normal" from the other moms with older kids with autism and it's discouraging because I'm there for support, not to have to defend her diagnosis, which now that she's been diagnosed as autistic from the doctor we got a second opinion from, I am comfortable with the diagnosis now. It's true that she seems like a normal kid if you don't know what quirks of hers to look for, but spend more than 2 hours with her and I assure you that her quirks, stims, routines and rituals will come out full force.
October 5th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I'm having a large problem lately with people judging, so I understand. Not regarding autism, I just mean... In general. It's annoying, and it's frustrating. And, it's RUDE. I would NEVER question someone else's child in that form (i.e. well they don't SEEM autistic to ME!).. I can't stand when people do that. That must be frustrating for you.

October 6th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I cant believe people, especially people who have a child with a diagnosis would say things like "she seems normal" or "they don't seem autistic to me"! Things like that just rub me the wrong way. Why don't they just stop being less judgmental and more supportive.

October 6th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had someone over for a playdate yesterday, someone who has always said that she seems normal. She was in full on stimming mode, so it was sort of nice for them to finally see that she isn't quite as normal as she thought she was. She was spinning, hand flapping, arm flapping, leg flapping, back-arching, and making her weird facial expressions for the entire hour that the person was there.

My allergies are really bothering me today, ugh. I have never had allergies this bad since I was 17 and living with my parents - they smoked inside the house and I wouldn't say I was allergic to the smoke, but it always made me sneeze and my nose was in a permanent state of stuffiness. Urg. Nothing OTC works for me, but I can't even schedule a dr appointment because DH gets NO down Fridays this month, so I am SOL.
October 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM
yuck allergies suck.
I'm having a good day today & I haven't even taken any morphine! Whoo Hoo!!
Whats for dinner tonight ladies? I had a little tiny piece of steak and DH and the kids wanted home made blueberry waffles.
If you are the praying type please pray for our friend Chris. Chris was sent to Bosnia last week and while unloading some cargo he was crushed by some equipment. He is now paralyzed from the neck down and on a ventilator. So if you could please pray for our friend.

October 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
OMG! That's so awful Gosh. I will certainly keep him in my thoughts- how sad

Dinner..
I don't know. I'm usually so good about dinner. I make a weekly menu and stick to it. Today I'm looking at all the weeks food and NOTHING sounds remotely good. I sent DH a text and said McDonalds sounded good! I want a frappe and food so, we'll see.

6 days until my vacation

October 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How awful, Melissa. Do they have any idea what his long term prognosis will be?

I made a chicken recipe for lunch out of a magazine. It was gross. It was supposed to be a mexican type of dish, but it ended up tasting like what I imagine mold to taste like. Lesson learned....no more recipes out of magazines. I'll stick to allrecipes.com.
October 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
LOL what was in it? I've tried a few awesome recipes from a magazine that are staples now. And recipes from websites that have sucked. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

I'm getting my McDonalds and frappe!

October 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It had chicken breast, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, fire roasted tomatoes, green chilies and some seasonings.....stewed it in the crockpot, shredded the chicken, then made it into a mexican lasagna using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles. The only thing I liked about it was the cheese on top!

We're about to head out to a buffet for dinner. I get a free one during my birthday month, so it'll only be about $10 for the 3 of us to eat!
October 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're having Italian pork chops cooked in the crock pot. That is, if DH ever gets home from the woods.

October 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The dinner buffet was disappointing. Cold food, didn't taste good, even the dessert bar wasn't good. Bleh. Can't complain for $10 total for 3 people though, so I'll just say I was disappointed

Just went for a walk over a long bridge with 3 friends. We do it every week. 2 of them are moving away next month and that makes me sooo sad

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search