Question for mommies who travel with babies

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
My husband and I are planning a trip for his 30th birthday to beautiful Galway, Ireland. We've been before, but this time we'll have our little girl with us. I'm dying to know if there are any good quality, inexpensive, lightweight strollers to use for travel. I've been looking into the Cosco brand as they're the cheapest, but it seems like not many people have good experiences with them. I'd love to hear what you use!

Also, has anyone flown overseas with a baby in their lap? From NY to Ireland is a 5ish hour flight, and I'm not sure how I feel about having the baby sit in my lap that whole time. I'd love to hear your stories! If you bought a seat for the baby, do planes accommodate infants? Are there special seats?

Tell me your stories, I'm dying to hear them. Thanks a ton!

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
October 24th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In terms of safety, buying your child a seat and putting them in their car seat for the ride over is the safest option. You belt the car seat into the seat belt in the plane seat just like you would in the car and then you strap them in. If you hit a sudden bout of violent turbulence and your baby is not secured down, she could get injured. A friend of mine just got back from England last week and had her 6 month old in her lap there and back and she said it was very difficult to do anything like eat or drink or even have the tray down because he wanted everything on the tray and would kick all over the place, including kicking a soda over onto the guy next to them! And he was just 6 months, imagine trying to contain your girl who is teetering between infancy and toddlerhood!

We only flew by plane once before my daughter was 2 and we got her a seat of her own and I just can't imagine doing it any other way! It really is a personal preference as to what works best for you, but in terms of safety, bringing their car seat is the safest option. I also found that my daughter had a very easy time sleeping in it whereas I know she'd have never fallen asleep on our laps, but that's just how she's wired so it worked better for her all around to have her own seat.

As far as strollers, I absolutely LOVE my Chicco Capri. It's been to youknowwhere and back and it just keeps on going. It cost us about $60 nearly 2 years ago and I'm not sure what it retails for now, but it folds up easily and compactly, though it's still long - but it comes with a carrying case that is a shoulder bag, so you can carry it over your shoulder/back if you're at a place where you don't quite need it but will need it soon. It's really lightweight. My only complaint is the canopy gets dirty from the way it folds up where the wheels touch it, but it's really an amazing stroller overall. The $60 was well worth the investment for us because here we are about 21 months later and other than the dirty canopy, it's in perfect condition and it gets use at least 3-4 times a week.

Let us know if you have any other travel questions! I hope you have a wonderful trip!
October 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I was looking into that stroller, actually, lol.

And you know, I never really thought about it, but it would be kind of impossible to eat or drink with a baby on your lap while on an airplane. Hmmm. It'd be kind of an irritant to have the baby's car seat - she'll be 18 months by the time we go so a travel system isn't really an option anymore.

Thanks for giving me so much to think about!

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
October 25th, 2010, 07:32 AM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't suggest holding your child on your lap. I have traveled from Europe to the US and back with my children 8 times but have only had a lap baby once. Once was enough. Like MaddiesMama said it makes it almost impossible to do anything! My little ones are so much better behaved when strapped in their seats.

We use a fisher price Precious Planet umbrella stroller and I love it. If you will be out seeing lots of sights I recommend a stroller with over sized wheels. They seem to roll better when going off road.

Welcome to the board!

October 25th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran
I've flown Europe-US several times with my kids. Sometimes with carseats and sometimes with lap kids. There is the chance that the child will consider being in the carseat like being in the car and will just sit for most of the flight (best scenario). There's also the chance that the child will want to walk around-- up and down the aisles-- which might be fine during a daytime flight (but annoying to other passengers at night) but in which case the carseat is extraneous and a pain to have carried on. It's safer to have the baby in a carseat. But expensive. And of course there's a chance that even if you don't buy a seat, there will be a vacant seat to put your child in, carseat or not.

So pretty much I don't have a set answer. I'd say though in my experience, the carseat is not used enough to be worth the hassle of carrying it on. However it depends on whether it's a day or night flight-- daytime I'd lean toward not using it, nighttime I'd lean toward using it. (which won't help you if you have a day flight one way and night the other!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search