*December Chat Thread*

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's December 1st time for a new chat!

Allison- are you excited about the toddler bed or dreading it?

Tonya- I can sooo see your DH in a hammock, just hanging out in the yard.

Sad news today. My trip to Poland was canceled due to weather But on the bright side my friend Holly saved the day by booking us on a last minute trip to Switzerland Never in a million years would I have guessed I would be saying "oh well we cant go to Poland, so we'll just hop on over to Switzerland instead." I'm feeling so very fancy right now.

December 1st, 2010, 09:15 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm definitely dreading it. He definitely doesn't need that kind of freedom. And, since the door knob on his door doesn't latch, we have to replace the door knob before we can do anything else.

December 1st, 2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Melissa, you're so lucky to have all of those countries at your disposal with such short travel times in transit to them! Sorry Poland was canceled but I bet you'll have a great time in Switzerland!

I'm with you, Allison - I'm dreading the toddler bed. For now, Maddie doesn't even attempt to crawl out of her crib, so I'm totally content leaving her in there until she's 7 if she'll allow We will probably end up taking extreme measures, like installing extra door locks on the outside of Maddie's door or something along those lines, because there is no way I'd give her the freedom to roam around the house at night. No stinking way.
December 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well folks, here we are exactly 36 hours away from vacation and yours truly has somehow contracted pinkeye.

Where the hell I got it have no idea. I have been quarantining Madalyn and I in the house all week specifically to avoid getting surprise illnesses pre-cruise and literallly cannot fathom where I could have caught pinkeye from. The last time I came into contact with another human being besides Stephen was on Saturday when we went out to eat. Well, Monday the DirecTV guy unexpectedly came by to do a "quality control" check of the installation done 2 weeks ago. He said he was getting over a cold, but I don't think I'd have caught it from him because I didn't touch anything he touched and when he left, I made sure to Lysol everything down anyway.

So my only suspects are touching the mail the mailman touched, the boxes the UPS guy touched, inside of the packages packed by amazon.com that I got this week or DH brought it home from his students, which is unlikely because he normally comes straight home and showers, though not at lunchtime.

As you can imagine, I'm flipping out about this. I can't wear eye makeup until 48 hours after the symptoms are gone. That means no makeup for formal night. I'm thinking about taking 2 eyeliner sticks, one for the good eye and one for the bad eye and just doing my makeup anyway. I didn't pay all this money to go on vacation and look like pure crap in the pictures because someone else's nastiness contaminated me despite my best efforts to quarantine myself and my family because this literally always happens. Every vacation we've taken except maybe 1 of them has started in illness or illness transpired within the first 24 hours.

I will be highly upset if Maddie catches it (and you know she will) because then she will not be allowed to go to the kid's club. This was supposed to be a vacation for ME and MY HUSBAND and only us. Not that we don't love Maddie to pieces, but she wasn't supposed to be on this trip to begin with. Our ILs were supposed to watch her, but they backed out. So our saving grace was that she could go to the kids club up to 3 times a day. Well we agreed she only should go once because of all of her developmental and sensory issues, but it was going to be 3 hours a day for US because we are celebrating our anniversary this trip. Now? That's all in jeopardy. Not that we won't still have fun, but I'm just so irritated about how things were supposed to be before the ILs backed out. If they'd have kept their word and taken her, I'd be on the Carnival Legend right now instead of whining to you all about pinkeye.

Furthermore, neither the ER doc nor the peds clinic will give me a precautionary prescription for Maddie. They said they don't usually give prescriptions without symptoms and I said "but you do make exceptions?" and she said yes, but not for this. I asked if she understood when I said we'd be on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean without a hospital and she said to use the cruise ship doctor. I told her our insurance doesn't cover it (I do have trip insurance that should cover it but she didn't need to know that) and she said that yes, we would have to pay out of pocket. God, what a b!+ch.

OK end rant.
December 3rd, 2010, 06:03 AM
Wow, I cant believe they wouldn't give you a Rx for Maddie. Our clinic here wont even let you in if you have pink eye, they just call in an Rx for you because they don't want it in the office. Maybe Stephen could go to the store and get some of the OTC pink eye meds? What were your IL's reason for not keeping Maddie in the first place?

I am not not even going to Switzerland now, for 2 reasons. A) DH didn't bother to tell me he had to qualify on his weapon today so he wont get home until about 9 pm...too late for me to go on the trip. B) My friend booked me on this trip to make up for our canceled trip but neglected to tell me her DH was going too. I don't feel like being the 3rd wheel to them for 2 days. Grr, I'm pissed!

December 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh man, I'd be pissed too! That's bad timing if I ever heard any. Sorry you won't get to go

The backstory with the ILs....we asked them in February if they would watch Maddie from Thanksgiving weekend until December 4th or 5th so we could take a 7-day cruise just the 2 of us. They said, sure, no problem.

We went to their house for Memorial Day weekend and they told us "Hey, we're going on a cruise the week of Thanksgiving." We were like uh....when? They said from the Sunday before until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Their cruise overlapped our cruise. Thankfully we hadn't booked yet.

So for about a month, we hemmed and hawed about whether to go with Maddie on a shorter trip or not go at all. We finally decided to do a 5-day out of Mobile, AL with her; after all, she's 2 now and eligible to go to the kids club so we would still get time for ourselves.

Had to wait until payday on July 1 to book the trip. The next day we left for Georgia for the 4th of July weekend. We told the ILs we'd just booked a trip with Maddie. At the end of the weekend, they said they had talked about it and they decided they weren't cruising Thanksgiving week after all because the price went up.

I honestly think they were trying to get out of watching Maddie. They already treat her differently because she IS different than their other grandkids and not in a good way. My MIL is a teacher, so I'd expect her to understand developmental delays and such, but she treats Maddie like she's a nuisance and she doesn't have the patience to deal with her. It upsets me because Maddie is such a sweet girl and all you need is to learn how her brain works and a little patience and you're golden with her.

We booked with the Easy Saver rate on Carnival, so it would cost us $150 just to change the reservation back to what we wanted in the first place and it wasn't worth it to us. It's so frustrating.

I'm off to CVS to get some Advil for my swollen eye. At least it's open again now. Watery, but open and not oozing gunk anymore thankfully.
December 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Yuck, why cant IL's just be normal and treat all grandkids the same.

We just came back from a Christmas market, and brr was it cold. The current temp here is 2* and the wind is blowing. I'll post some pictures soon.

December 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just woke up from my third nap of the day.....my ears and throat are screaming at me but I'll take that over the other stuff that comes with the flu. My fever is back up to 100.2, but I'm not taking anything yet because I know fever is good, it means my body is fighting. I probably will take some Theraflu tonight before bed though.
December 6th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Watching Eclipse!!!

December 6th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Oh & I fixed the photos in my "picture this" post if you tried to look at them but couldnt't.

December 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't go on my trip this week because I was sick. The temps in Mexico yesterday and today were in the lower 80s and sunny.

Now I have to totally repack. It is going to be about 70, cloudy and windy in Mexico next week. I don't have room in the suitcase for jeans or sweaters - will need the sweater to be out on deck at night, that wind up top is COLD when you're scooting along at 22 knots.

Don't get me wrong, a chilly cruise is better than a warm day at home and now that I live on the gulf coast, the temperature on a tropical vacation isn't as important as it would have been had I been freezing my #%^ off in IL this week, but I am just really bummed out. I have no idea what else to do in Progreso other than a beach day, so I guess I better get to researching.
December 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I couldnt agree more. A chilly day on a cruise beats the pants off any day at home.

Its still snowing here, we got over 12 inches in 7 hours yesterday. Only down side of it was it ws coming down so fast the plows couldn't make it around the base before it got super slick again. I felt so good yesterday that I got a whild hair in my hind quarters and shoveled my walk way, drive way, and enough of the road that I wouldnt get stuck trying to back out.

Since it was great packing snow I let the boys go out to play adn here is what they made.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

December 8th, 2010, 05:11 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
Thanks goodness for cruise critic, huh Tonya? Have you figured anything out?
I have a bad cruise itch, and it's not even possible for over a year (and probably 2).. ugh. I can't wait to see your photos.

Melissa, wow! That's a lot of snow!

December 8th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Love the snowman! Haha, a banana for a mouth, I'd have never thought of that.

I am starting to think that we may just end up on a cruise ship for 5 days without going into port or if we do go into port, it will be just to look around the port area.

The problem with Progreso is that it's really nothing more than a little village...the main draw is the beach. Take the beach out of the equation and it really has nothing to offer, so most people go to nearby attractions. Well, none of the nearby attractions are appropriate for a 2 year old (not my 2yo anyway). We could go into the nearby town of Merida and go to the zoo, but I am not going to lug the car seat with me, so that means that all forms of traveling by car are out of the equation and I am not comfortable riding the mexican bus into town nor am I going to shell out $45 per person for the Carnival bus to take me into Merida.

At Cozumel, it'll depend on where we dock at, but we may just wander the strip along the ocean front there since we're bringing the stroller and find a nice place to get lunch. I have never had good luck in Cozumel! This will be my 4th time there and it has always been rainy, overcast or chilly. I have a picture from the last time I was in Cozumel where I am on the beach bundled up in my beach blanket because it was so cold and that was in October!

One thing is for sure - I am out of vanilla, so I am at least getting off of the ship for that. I am starting to think though that it may be more fun to drop Maddie off at Camp Carnival and have an empty ship to ourselves while everyone else is in port. Either way, we'll have fun no matter what - it just won't quite be the tropical getaway we were hoping for or would have had this week had I not gotten sick.
December 8th, 2010, 07:57 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I like the idea of dropping off Maddie and just relaxing together (you and DH) and having a quiet ship, while everyone gets off! That sounds absolutely perfect to me.

What a bummer, though, huh? Our last vacation it poured almost the whole time- I hate how you plan so long and hard, spend so much money.. and it's not exactly how you envisioned.

December 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We went to Disney last year...I actually probably came back and posted a trip report here about it, but I don't know for sure if I did. Anyway, we left by car and were going to take 2 days to travel down there, stopping overnight at my ILs house in Atlanta. The forecast for Orlando changed after we'd already left our house....we were expecting highs in the lower 70s and lows in the upper 40s, so we packed 1 sweatshirt each to wear at night in the parks if we got chilly.

The forecast then changed to highs in the 50s (one day in the 40s) and lows in the 20s and 30s - record cold temperatures were set for Orlando that week while we were there. We spent the entire week in our one sweatshirt that we'd brought for each of us. At least I'd brought an entire sweatsuit for Maddie, who was about 9 months old at the time and she was nice and warm in her stroller with her blankets. But every single picture of us from that week shows us wearing the same sweatshirt every single day....it looks like we decided to take 300 pictures on the same day and no pictures of any of the other days LOL. But seriously - something crazy with the weather or someone's health happens every single trip we take. I can only recall 1 trip where there was not some sort of ailment, though that trip had it's own drama regarding the sorry state of the hotel room and then the day after we got back, I was puking all over the place because I'd caught a norovirus.
December 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Your Disney trip sounds like our last Vegas trip. I checked the weather numerous times a day before we left, and packed accordingly. It was supposed to be in the low 70's everyday we were there, so we only packed one pair of jeans and one sweatshirt each. The first day we were there, it was perfect. The next 3 days & nights were horribly cold & windy. I think it was in the 50's, which doesn't sound too bad, but when you have hurricane type winds, it made it colder. It wasn't fun. I keep saying we need a do-over of the trip!

December 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
You girls are so right about unpredictable weather and vacations. So frustrating!

I broke down and got Quintin the flu vax today. Even though school was called off they sent me an email informing me if he didnt get it by Friday he would not be welcome back at his school. Ugg how can a school require a vax like that.
Lots more snow here about another 8 inches today!

So whos going on vacay next? Tonya? Whos going after that?

December 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Definitely not me! The next trip we have planned isn't until June 2011, and that's to Wisconsin for a weekend to see my friend. I'm hoping to go to Disney next September, before the free dining ends.

I just ordered my friend a photo blanket for Christmas. I can't wait for it to get here so I can see it.

December 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Here in MS, the school requires every single vax that is "recommended" including H1N1. MS is not a state where you can obtain a waiver saying that you won't vax for personal or religious beliefs. Maddie doesn't get flu shots and doesn't have her MMR and whatever other shots she was supposed to have gotten after age 2. So, when she goes to school next year, I have to put all of that crap into her body just so she can go. I am considering homeschooling, but I don't think I'm a very attentive teacher.

My friend just got one of those photo blankets and said it turned out awesome. Hope yours does for your friend too, Allison.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search