Intro and question re: traveling after kids

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello! I just came across this board. My DH and I were world travelers, at least before we had our DD. I posted recently in the "Where have you been?" thread so I won't repeat the places. We're taking this year off from travel other than to visit the in-laws in South Dakota next week (we live in Oregon, my parents live in FL and his live in SD we travel a fair amount just to see them). However, we're hoping to get into it again next year.

How has your travel style changed since you had kids? We used to do everything very cheaply (for example, we've walked 2 miles with our luggage to save on a taxi) but that's out of the question now. Also, on cruises we'd get the cheapest cabin because we were hardly ever in it. We were out at port or exploring the ship all day. Now we'll probably have to splurge on a nicer cabin since we'll be bringing DD. We'll have to slow down a bit, too, since she'll need naps. Also, we're focusing on shorter itineraries that leave from a port close to my parents' house, so we don't have to take an extra flight or drive too far. They live in Orlando and we're looking at cruises from Tampa for next year.

December 18th, 2010, 06:15 AM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the Traveling Mommies board!
I have never cruised with my kiddos so I cant give you any advice on that, but MaddiesMama just came back from cruising with her 2yo and I'm sure she has lots of tips and info to share.
Hope to see more of you around!
December 18th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board!

Our travel style has changed only slightly since having a child. We obviously have given up the Vegas vacations, but pretty much everywhere else is still on the table for us. We're a beach/warm weather destination type of family, so it's pretty easy to fit our 2.5yo in with our travel plans.

We've also always done travel cheaply and have found that other than the expense of adding our daughter to the itinerary, we still travel pretty cheaply. If we can't travel cheaply, we don't travel at all! The biggest change for us is the pace at which we vacation. We have to return to the condo/hotel/room for a mid-day nap. We don't get to do the more thrilling/adventurous things to do at the destination; instead, we do toddler friendly activities. Just a couple of examples: Going to Disney World, we skip the coasters and long shows that my daughter can't go on or sit through, but we ride all of the rides she can ride on (which really is a large majority of them) and we stand in line for the character meet & greets. We stop to eat 3 meals a day whereas before we'd eat on the run because there's just so much to do. We head back to the condo for a mid-day rest and make sure we're in by about 9:30 at night so she can get her sleep. That also gives my DH and I an opportunity to just chat and reconnect before we go to bed ourselves....something we don't do a lot of at home because life is hectic and it's not something we'd have done on vacation with just the 2 of us either because we'd be too busy with other things.

Like Melissa said, we just got off of a cruise this week; our first one with our daughter. We actually downgraded...whereas we would normally splurge for a balcony since we spend a lot of time on it, we went with an oceanview (but it really ended up being an interior room because I had to rebook on a different ship at the last minute and that was all they had available). Again, it was a slower vacation than if it would have been just DH & I....one of us had to be in the room with her for 2 naps a day and then one of us had to turn in for the night by 10 so she could get enough sleep. It obviously wasn't the most thrilling cruise I'd been on, but it was exciting to see my daughter having so much fun, so the tradeoff was worth it. She was old enough to go to the kids camp, so DH & I did get some time to ourselves which was nice. We ended up not even missing the balcony room we'd have normally gotten because we found that we only used the room to sleep and shower in and nothing else. Maybe I need to rethink my "need" for a balcony on a cruise and start saving money and go with an interior every time!

We try to travel about 2-3 times a year, though the last year or so has been a little wacky as my husband was deployed for 6.5 months and then we moved and he changed jobs to one where he can no longer just up and take leave if we find a good deal on a last minute vacation. We're going to Disney at the end of February and then hopefully we can squeeze in one more short cruise before he deploys again next year - though it's not set in stone yet that he's going, but highly likely.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search