Sabbatical!

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH gets a sabbatical every 7 years that he works for the company where he's working. He's eligible for his first one starting next July. However, he can postpone it for up to 3 years if he wants. We probably will postpone it at least a year because our DD will be just turning 1 then. However, we want to have another one some time between mid-2012 and mid-2013 so our kids will be spaced 2-3 years apart.

I don't get a sabbatical, but I'm debating taking an extra week or two off without pay. On the other hand, I didn't take any unpaid time off when I had my DD (I took 6 weeks maternity leave + 2 weeks vacation for a total of 8 weeks) so I'd feel kind of bad about taking it for a vacation but not for the baby.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Where should we go?? One option we're considering is a cruise around the southern tip of South America, which also stops in Antarctica. The cruise is 18 days, and there's an optional 4 day add-on at Ignacio Falls, which is supposed to be bigger and better than Niagra Falls. Another option we're considering is a safari in Africa. I think either of these would have to be done in our late fall/early winter. South America's summer is our winter, so we could do this Nov-Feb. Depending on the country, I think anywhere from October-December is the best time for wildlife migration in Africa. Africa and Antarctica are the only two continents we haven't been to, so I definitely want to go to one or the other on the sabbatical.

2. When do you think is the best time to take the sabbatical? We'd like DD will be old enough to remember some of it but it has to be before the next baby comes. If we do the end of 2012, I'll probably have to be pregnant already. I'm not sure if I like the idea of being pregnant and in Africa for a while, although I need to look into this more. If we go in October or November, I'd have to either be pregnant or maybe TTC on vacation! That might be fun. :-) LOL.

December 18th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think either of those trips sounds pretty great, but I personally would not want to do either while pregnant but again - personal preference. Not sure what line you're looking at sailing on, but most require you to be less than 24 weeks pregnant while sailing.

I would think it would be more fun TTC while on vacation That way you aren't pregnant and battling morning sickness or any other pregnancy ailments that might crop up and you'll still be able to enjoy a drink or two every now and then if you enjoy doing that.
December 18th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddiesMama View Post
I would think it would be more fun TTC while on vacation That way you aren't pregnant and battling morning sickness or any other pregnancy ailments that might crop up and you'll still be able to enjoy a drink or two every now and then if you enjoy doing that.
I think you're right. I was 2 months pregnant on our last vacation to India and it wasn't too bad, but there were times when I was craving a grilled cheese sandwich and all I could find was Indian food. Plus, I really do enjoy drinking while on vacation and that could also help with the TTC.

How cool would it be if our baby was conceived in Antarctica?

December 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think many people can say they were conceived in Antarctica LOL. I just went on a cruise this past week, but the time before that was 3 years ago when I was pregnant and it was not fun not being able to drink. At least not drinking cut down on the bill!
December 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I think both of those sound wonderful!!! And, either would be a blast.
I think *I* would go for the cruise, though - South America/Antarctica.. just has a slight edge for me. I agree that I'm not sure I'd go while pregnant. But, I had a very high risk pregnancy. The first half I was sick the whole time, the 2nd half I had pre-eclamspia and was stuck on strict bedrest- then had a preemie. So, I'm probably not the one to ask I just had a rough one, and vacation wouldn't have...... worked.

Either way, awesome trips! How long is his sabbatical for? That's a great opportunity!

December 19th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java~Junkie View Post
Either way, awesome trips! How long is his sabbatical for? That's a great opportunity!
He gets an extra 8 weeks, so 11 weeks total vacation that year. I get 4 weeks, so we should be able to take our trip in under 4 weeks, but that would leave me with no other vacation time to see family. And my family is all the way across the country in FL.

December 21st, 2010, 03:36 AM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not sure if I would want to go on such a big trip while pregnant either. I think TTC while on vacay would be lots of fun!

March 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM
So ... I've been researching this lately and found out that there aren't really any more good options for cruising to Antarctica. Due to environmental reasons, only really small ships can go. This makes it very expensive, and I don't like the idea of taking a small ship to Antarctica. I want to go somewhere in the Southern hemisphere, since it will be our winter and a good time to escape Oregon. Should I still do the South American cruise without Antarctica or somewhere else? The only other places in the southern hemisphere are Africa and Australia, and we've already been to Australia. I don't know if I'd want to take a 2.5 y/o to Africa.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search