Cruise question

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
DH and I are going on our first cruise next year, and we are taking the kids with us. We are going to be going to the Bahamas on the Norwegian Sky. We have decided that we are definitely going to go with one of the penthouse options. We were looking at the different options and wondered if the aft-penthouses are worth the extra money. I know it's not a huge amount, but it could mean an extra shore excursion for us.

If we do go with a forward penthouse, is there going to be too much wind to be able to enjoy our balcony while at sea?

Also, I know that some of you have been on the Sky before. As I said.... we will have our kids with us. They will be 14 and 11 at the time. Are there any shore excursions that you would recommend I do with them? The itenarary is: Miami, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau, Miami.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!

Last edited by MountainMomma; January 23rd, 2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: because I can't type of spell!
January 23rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never sailed the Sky, but have sailed in balcony rooms....you will have about an equal amount of wind whether you're fore, port or starboard in a balcony. I have sailed in an aft balcony one time and the air was much more still back there. Almost too still....but that will depend on how the balconies are cut on the ship. Some are better designed for air flow than others depending on if the design of the back of the ship is built on a slope or if it's more boxy.

Not sure about shore excursions for teens & pre-teens. I have heard that the Atlantis excursion in Nassau is great for all ages. A beach day is usually a hit with just about anyone. Hopefully someone can better help you with the shore tour info. You'll have a blast. Cruising is awesome.
January 23rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks. I actually think we are likely going twice next year. Once at the beginning of the summer with my kids and then again by ourselves. It mainly depends on how the first one goes though.

January 24th, 2011, 06:56 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
YES!!! We had a Penthouse on the Sky. The private deck is the size of an inner-state room! Add the butler, concierge, and extra restaurant, YES! Also, every day we came back to our room Antonio (butler) had chocolate covered fruit for us. We also got a complimentary bottle of champagne.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 24th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Oh and as far as excursions, kayaking in Nassau. Maybe one parent/one kid per kayak? The water is VERY calm and if it flips, it might be to your knees. That's the only excursion we did, but I think it'd work for your kids. After the kayak trip, you do a nature walk, have lunch, and swim at a private beach.

Are the kids into forts at all? We went to one (no excursion) at Nassau, I believe. If you want I can ask DH for sure...You'll need a cab to get there, but it's easy to walk back from...Just ask the cab how to get to the beach from there. Also, the fort offers tours, but you can walk through on your own for free.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
January 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM
mamamudd's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never been on the Sky but I would say if it's not much more, go for it!

One of our ports last year was Nassau & we did the Atlantis day. At $144 pp we felt it was a huge rip off. You can cab it or take the jintey over to Atlantis and use the beach for free and walk the grounds and see the sea life ect. for about $3 pp. a much better deal and that way you aren't stuck there the whole day and can see other things too. Senor Frogs and the straw market are both fun things to do. HTH
January 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks ladies. I especially appreciate the tip about the Atlantis trip. My son recently saw the Atlantis on TV and wants to spend the night there. lol I told him that wouldn't be possible but when he found out we would be in the area during the cruise, he really wants to head over there. I thought the $144 pp seemed steep and didn't really want to do that. I'll make sure we at least get over and walk around on the beach and whatnot though.

I hope to do the kayaking, but I don't know. DH has only agreed to go if I promise not to make him touch the ocean! lol

January 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMomma View Post
Thanks ladies. I especially appreciate the tip about the Atlantis trip. My son recently saw the Atlantis on TV and wants to spend the night there. lol I told him that wouldn't be possible but when he found out we would be in the area during the cruise, he really wants to head over there. I thought the $144 pp seemed steep and didn't really want to do that. I'll make sure we at least get over and walk around on the beach and whatnot though.

I hope to do the kayaking, but I don't know. DH has only agreed to go if I promise not to make him touch the ocean! lol
It's not in the ocean, it's a tidal stream through a mangrove forest. I think there are some pics in the Honeymoon album on my FB if you want so show him. The water is barely moving even...it's a very easy paddle. (Even for someone like us that had never kayaked before.)

Also, DH said to check with the hotel across the street from Atlantis. A lot of times the rooms are cheaper than the tickets to the park and they'll stamp your hand for admission to the park. (At least that's how it was when we went...though we decided against Atlantis.)

January 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the tip.

As far as Matt is concerned though..... Any water we are near during the cruise is the oceam and he would never go for it. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search