car seats and Security for preschooler

Forum: Traveling Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traveling Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure if this gets asked often on here, but I couldn't find any related topics.

In two weeks, I am travelling with my husband and two kids by plane. We have travelled with my son a lot, but this is the first time we have gone with both kids, and the first time we've had a kid with his own seat. So I have some questions about travelling with a young child and what the differences are between that and travelling with a toddler/baby. My son is 3, my daughter is 20 months

First and biggest question: Car seats. We have a cosco that we travel with. In the past we have checked this at the gate, but I have heard mixed things about whether or not we should/can use his seat on the plane if he has his own purchased seat. It is a forward facing five point harness.

Next, slightly smaller question is what should we expect for security. He is slightly autistic, so I am worried about him having to go through the metal detector by himself. We are planning on my husband going first, then Jonah (three year old) then me with the baby. But I would prefer it if the three year old could go with my husband. Are they allowed to separate us? Will they try, regardless of if they are "allowed" to or not? I've been to the TSA page, but I have often found that there are disparities between what is on there and what actually happens. Thank you in advance for information on what to expect!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
January 30th, 2012, 10:12 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long is the flight? I find that over 4 hrs a car seat is a good idea to have on the flight. I know for my 2.5 yr old he likes to play with the buckle and the FA don't love that when trying to take off/land. Plus he knows when he is in the carseat that he isn't going anywhere on the plane. Where he tries to escape if its just the belt.
They will have you try to have the 3yr old go through the metal detector on his own, if he doesn't want to than they will let someone hold him and go through. Best thing is have dad go through while both kids are with you, then stop and call for your son to follow. They CAN NOT separate a child from the adult at anytime...if a modified pat down is needed of the child the parent can helicopter right next to them. I have had pat downs while holding a child even.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search