Insurance!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH started a new job Feb. 2. Now I'm 6 weeks pregnant and insurance doesn't kick in until May (after 90 days). So after stressing out about if pregnancy is a preexisting condition I found that in PA if you go from a group plan to another group plan insurance companies cannot consider pregnancy a preexisting condition. Only if you have a single plan (one person). So My doctor would like to see me before May (because I'll be 10-13 weeks depending on when everything is ready to go and I am actually insured).

So I want to have an exam in 2 weeks as I'll be 8 weeks then. Okay...so the Women's Health Center tells me a visit would cost $150-200. BUT with my history I'll need an ultrasound, which she claims would be about $300 but I've read before that uninsured transvaginal ultrasounds (which are done before 12 weeks) cost $500. Ummm we don't have $700 to pay them. And they claim I cannot make payments, that it must be paid upfront. I had a problem with this WHC before about figuring al lthe insurance stuff out when I was pregnant with Roald and I'm wondering if I didn't talk to the same annoying person. Some other lady is supposed to call me tomorrow. Like wth. $700 or more for a visit? She told me I'd get a 10% discount since I'd be uninsured at the time. ***? Oooo $70 off, what a difference!

Sorry, I hate insurance!!!!! And medical bills!!!!

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
March 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't blame you, that is an insane amount. Will his insurance cover everything from then on? I hope the other lady can give you better news. So would they actually refuse an appointment if you couldnt pay up front??
April 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm sorry honey!!! I remember the feeling of being uninsured (we were that way in January) and how scary it was. But I didn't actually need to be seen.

But yes, sometimes I really hate the health care in this country!

April 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM
Laura-yeah, May 1 his insurance is supposed to be effective. That will be my 11th week of pregnancy, the first week of May, which is when I'm going to go. I talked to that woman and she told me the same crap. She said if I ever felt like anything was wrong and I couldn't wait to be seen then I could call and see if I could get an emergency OB visit(well...we could potenetially avoid that by giving me a cheap or free exam now, right?) or if something was direly wrong rush to the ER. Well, I know that stuff already, duh!

And the doctor better not even chastise me for not making it in 'til week 11 or I will flip!!! Thank God I have Prenate DHAs to last me to that time and that I feel great and am eating good! We should be fine I just would like the reassurance that comes with regular OB care.

April 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a crappy system. I am sorry you have to wait but am glad to hear your are doing well though!
April 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
have you looked into state insurance to cover the first few months. My sister found out she was pregnant and had no insurance. So she went to the ritecare office and they did a thing where she got her appointments covered even while she was waiting to be approved. Worth a phone call at least.
May 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
getting to this late! Yeah you have insurance now though - it's May 5th~

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
May 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Our insurance finally kicked in on Friday. However....I had called the Women's Health Center a couple weeks before. She said I had to go to a separate lab (they don't do bloodwork or lab work at this WHC) and have an HCG bloodtest done. Then when they get the results fro mthe lab they will call me to schedule an appointment. Well, I got the blood test done Friday morning. And I called the WHC yesterday and she said they still hadn't gotten it. The thing is, since Friday night my morning sickness has turned into constant sickness and I have spent the last 3 days in bed, feeling at any moment like I am going to vomit. I want a freaking prescription.

I am thinking of calling them again today. I am going to explain that I did the bloodwork ASAP and that I am already 11 weeks, that I had a stillbirth at 25 weeks i nNovember and I am very anxious for an appointment, especially since I am getting very sick now I am also interested in getting a prescription ASAP. I know it might be annoying to them but I really don't feel like waiting another week for an appointment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search